Lightspeed headsets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

darien

If you have an older anr headset without the cellphone/cd adaptor You can send it into lightspeed and they will put a new one on for 75 bucks. They will also replace your earcushions refurb the unit and give it a new 1yr extended warranty.

I learned about it from talking to their rep. at the Sun and Fun. The rep. told me that they just started doing this a couple of weeks ago

I have a 20xl with this conversion it pretty much makes it like a new 25xl. Not to mention my cord had a slice in it so it needed replacing anyway.

Does that include the shipping for the headsets?

I wonder what the quality is like for the music/cell hook up?

Wankel7

Lightspeed has EXCELLENT customer service. They fixed the cord on my 15k (the no-auto-off ANR version of the 15x) a couple of weeks ago for free. I called them up, they said send it in, that is covered by warranty. The replaced BOTH cables on the headset, only one was damaged, and shipped it back to me, all for free! You just don't find customer service like that anymore! In all the headset was gone for about 10-12 days.

Actually, David Clark built their reputation on that kind of customer service. However, Lightspeed has been really good about it. I had a problem with a headset a few years ago. The headset band had failed during an IMC climb, and I'd taped it with a roll of electrical tape I carried in my flight suit. A couple of months later, the right earcup went out. I sent it same day to them, and a day later it came back with a new chord, battery pack, refurbished, and I think they put new ear seals on it, too.

When I bought that headset, it was just to try it out...it was used when I bought it. Lightspeed was doing a promotion in which they offered a great price on older models that were refurbed to flight instructors, if they'd tell people about them (if they liked the headset). I was reasonably impressed. I still have the headset. If I bought another of that kind, I'd probably get the latest Lightspeed. I like them. They're comfortable and the comm is terriffic on them.

Telex is the only company that I will deal with, great product/company in my opinion. . . The Airman ANR 500 is by far the most comfortable and lightweight headseat that I have ever owned. The customer service support is superior and excellent. I have had two minor cosmetic problems with the headset(s) in the past and after a very brief and short phone call I was sent a brand new set (two times) at no charge, they only requested that I send them back the defective one(s) once I recieved the new ones. They have appeared to go above and beyond what I had expected of them since the last episode was after the warranty had expired. They could have simply just decided to fix them but "replacing" the set completely was much more time efficient in my opinion.

The ANR works very well in the jets as well as in the turbo-props and blocks out most of the unwanted noise.

Boise also makes a nice top of the line headset but after a few hours it get's rather uncomfortable and "heavy". I did appreciate how well of a anr system the unit it has built into it.

I would go TELEX all the way and not look back...

:D

3 5 0

I agree that the Lightspeed's are great!

I've owned a pair or 20XLs for several years and love them! I had to send them back to the factory once for a faulty power supply and they were very quick about fixing them at no charge. I can wear them all day and they are still comfortable.

I also own David Clarks. They are good, but begin to hurt after a while.

The Telex's I owned were very uncomfortable. They felt like a vise-grip on my head and I promptly sold those to someone else.

Lightspeeds ....good....mmmm

i agree. ive used the lightspeeds for a long time. through my flight instruction. through freight. and all i can say is a great customer service company. and a good warranty.

the warranty is great cause a lightspeed headset wont last through 1000 hours of hard working industrial style flying use without needing some work done to it (where the DC will last longer)....but its under warranty so it gets fixed for free.

1st set broke the headband and the sound was getting cloudy/mushy from the mike....sent it in, replaced.

2nd set plugs shorted out and broke, sent it in....refurbished set came back....it sits on my shelf now as its too bulky to really travel with and use in the ERJ and plus the ANR works fo rprops the best, and not really against wind noise of the jet.

for the erj i use a passive telex 100 set. folds up nicely about half as compact as the Lightspeeds and is durable enough to use. put about 1000+ hours on that set so far with no problems at all....the mic is really loud though so the affore mentioned wind noise realyl comes through.

i just need an ANR that works with the upper sound spectrum of white noise/wind noise.

Last edited:
Good support.

HOWEVER...I get a deafening "chirp" from my 30G's when near/on the ground at airports with radar. I asked a rep about it at a show and got "Yea, we are having a problem with that." No solution. I have to turn off the ANR on short final. At least the unit has such GREAT passive qualities (NOTE: dripping with sarcasm).

Anobody else?

I've had the same experience, deadstick.

As for the passive qualities... Well... I am of the opinion that going without a headset is better than Litespeeds with the ANC turned off. I think the design of the headset actually amplifies the ambient sound when the electronics are turned off.

A great-sounding headset, to be sure. Durable? Not even close. You will need to get them fixed every 500hrs or so, which is rather too frequently than I would like (not to mention the number of days you are stuck with them before you get home from your five-day).

I am back to the passive DC's that I first bought as a student. Been in the shop once for an actual repair, and that's with 4000hrs of use.

I get a chirp in my 25XLs near radar, but it's not like it's bad. It's not loud or anything, just a quiet chirp in the background. I couldn't ask for better customer service, I mailed my headset in for repair on a Thursday and had it back the next Monday, for free.

The passive qualities aren't great, but way better than a Bose.

Latest resources

Back