Lightspeed headsets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
>>>Maybe it's just my fat head. :) <<<

Funny, I was starting to wonder if it was BECAUSE of my fat head that I thought the DC's were comfortable. I hear this complaint all the time, that DC's are attempting to wedge your ears into your skull, but in over a decade of use I've never found the DC's to be any more or less comfortable than other brands that I have tried.

And that rivet you mention? Mine are rusted but have held strong. The only failure on my 13.4's was the headband itself, which snapped one fine day after taking the headset off. It took ten years for that failure to happen, I might point out, and I've had that same failure on the Litespeeds TWICE. Seems five or six months is the best I can get out of them.

As I've stated before, you can't fault the noise attenuating qualites of the Litespeed, and certainly not the price as compared to Bose. But... I do know two people who've had Bose, and after three returns in one case and four in the other, I think they're no better built than the Litespeeds. These headsets are great for more casual users, but if you're depending on them for a 500+ hrs/yr professional pilot job, you might find yourself with an unfortunate amount of down time.

Then again, maybe I'll attempt the "return and upgrade" thing and see if I don't change my mind. No matter what I might think to the contrary, I'm not ALWAYS right. :D

Still don't know what to do about carrying them around... A rollaboard, flight case, and computer case are one too many already, and adding a FOURTH bag to carry the Litespeeds is a bit too much.

I've got a job that's far more than 500 hours/yr, and my Lightspeeds hold up just fine. I drop them all the time too. The head whipping issue I find is worse with DCs and DC clones because they just don't fit as well. Hell, a pair of Sigtronics (I think) that I used the left earpiece (that the mic was attached too) would come completely off the ear with even a moderate speed head turn.

Maybe I just don't sweat as much as some people, but I don't find them uncomfortable in high heat either.

After looking at their website (for the first time in years, I might add), imagine my chagrin at finding... It's been so long, I forgot how to spell it! LOL

In any case, the LIGHTspeed website (apparently I've been thinking about that titanium bicycle frame I'd always wanted) shows that to trade up from my headset to the newest all-singing, all-dancing headset would run $300. That assumes that I even know my headset's model number, which I don't, and that I can find them in my closet, which I can't. :D

I guess Ralgha and I will have to agree to disagree about the 500+hr job thing. I find in viewing the site that the headset the FO I was flying with, the one that is literally held together with tape, is the newest model... And is therefore way newer than mine, yet still suffers the same problem, namely the broken headband or associated hardware. I'm glad Ralgha's has managed to survive the abuse of a propilot's daily wear, but mine didn't, and nor have any others that I have seen.

As for the "whipping" thing, I simply don't understand how you can say that DC's are "worse". DC's are accused by most as being too tight, which means they clamp more, which also means that they won't/don't move around on your head as much (must be my fat head!). On more than one occasion I had the Lightspeeds come completely off my head in strong turbulence or, more often, with a very rapid movement of the head.

Too bad, really. I still remember the first time I wore them, and I was totally blown away. I would still be using them if I didn't find them incompatible with my needs/likes.

Looks like they've changed the earpad design, at least on the newer ones, as they don't appear to have the "pleated" look that mine has.

Now... If only I could FIND the bloody things!

Oh, in their favor, Lightspeeds will survive being partially submerged in water when your apartment floods, and be nary the worse for wear... Trust me on this one.
:rolleyes:

I can't explain the head whipping thing, that's just my experience. I've never had the Lightspeeds move appreciably, though you can definatly feel their inertia, but the DC type headsets I've worn often come slightly away from my head in a quick head turn. Maybe it's just my head.:eek:

I've had the 20XL's for 2-3 years and they've been great except...
-one broken headband, replaced with a new beefier one - So far so good...
-two broken earcup stirrup things, replaced with a new beefier one each time - I should be getting the latest stronger one soon...

Otherwise I think they're a good value and perform well. I imagine they'll continue to strengthen the parts until they are strong enough. Considering their customer service is so good, the parts are easy to replace and duct tape and coat hangers can fix anything for a little while... I'm still happy with them.

By the way I fly five legs a day five days a week and am pretty rough on them so I'm not too surprised they get worn out like any other tool.

I've never had the problem where they fall off if I turn my head. You might try turning your head slower...

However, it sure is hard to look cool wearing the monsterous things. I'd suggest borrowing some Bose's for dating.

Last edited:
I own two pairs of Lightspeeds, a 15xl and a 20xl. I use them when taking pax along in the airplane as well as for discovery flights (ahh, the joys of being a CFI).

When I reached 250 hours of dual given, I decided to treat myself and invested in a Bose X headset. It is expensive, but IMHO worth it. Many days I fly 4 or 5 hours, and at the end of the day my ears just do not hurt and my head is not sore the way it was with the 20xl headset.

I think a lot of people pass on the Bose because of the cost, but really if you consider the number of hours you'll fly with a headset, then consider that a good ANR is $500+, it really isn't that much more to get what I think is the best headset on the market.

My 2 cents...

When I reached 250 hours of dual given, I decided to treat myself and invested in a Bose X headset. It is expensive, but IMHO worth it. Many days I fly 4 or 5 hours, and at the end of the day my ears just do not hurt and my head is not sore the way it was with the 20xl headset.

My 2 cents... [/B]

I agree here completely. I've had DC's that gave me a headache after 30 mins. Plus, they really push hard on sunglasses. I've probably got 300 hours on my Bose. Not a problem since new. After about 2 minutes, I forget I'm even wearing them. I've flown mild aerobatics, lots of turbulence in my little C-140, and most recently flying light twins. I'm thinking about a second pair of headsets for my wife, and seriously considered the Lightspeed 303G's.

Another forum I am on keeps talking about all the great customer service when the break. That's the key, when they break. I'll stick with Bose I think. Since they have a no interest payment plan, I think I may splurge for another pair. You pay like $150 down, and $85/month until paid off. When it's your comfort, I think $1000 is not too much for headsets.

I have the lightspeed Thirty-3g's, the only problem I have with em is the ANR cuts in and out on the ground during run-up and taxiing, as soon as I'm off the ground they work flawlessly, no problems otherwise, not even the radar chirp others have had.

Anyone else have problems with the lightspeeds on the ground?? Not a major problem but annoying. This is my first ANR headset so maybe this is normal, but i'm assuming it's not.

Latest resources

Back