Lights on Airliners for ice?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PhatAJ2008

Thanks, everyone who replied... I guess those lights shining at the wings are to inspect for ice... But are the passengers supposed to report what they see to the pilots because it is virtually impossible for them to see the whole wing..

Well if it's in one place chances are it's in another. We have ice lights on the G but I can only see about 4-5 feet in from the winglet.

Gearmunky said:
Well if it's in one place chances are it's in another. We have ice lights on the G but I can only see about 4-5 feet in from the winglet.

You've got around a thousand hours and your right seat in a Gulfstream?!?!? Let alone the rest of the jets you've got listed.... What lucky star was shining on you???

Oh boy - here it comes. Gearmunky went through this on the corporate board...

I'd be interested to know what insurance company would cover someone with less than 1000 hours to sit right seat in a Gulfstream. I was hired into the right seat of a Slowtation II with 800 hours and barely got by with the insurance folks.

Last edited:
It depends on what the company is willing to pay for the insurance, and how much pull the company has with the insurance company. When it comes to right seat pilots, a lot of the more connected CP's can insure an FO at pretty much anything as long as it's legal.

Remember, the regionals are insuring 600 hours FO's to fly planes much larger than a Gulfstream.

bigD said:
Remember, the regionals are insuring 600 hours FO's to fly planes much larger than a Gulfstream.
Well yeah, they are also air carriers which have training and operations that are all approved by the FAA. :)

SkyBoy1981 said:
Well yeah, they are also air carriers which have training and operations that are all approved by the FAA. :)

True, but it shows that insurance companies are willing to work with companies that have shown that they have training and SOP's that reduce risk. It's the same in the corporate world. I've known CP's that are well known enough to pretty much be able to say, "Look, I've seen to it that this guy is trained well, and is safe to operate this airplane." and the insurance companies say okay with little regard to TT. Of course there are limits, but it's amazing how some people get insured, and others don't.

I would say that the CP getting a pilot insured on his/her "word" is far from the norm. Especially when you have a multi-million dollar aircraft carrying the "principals of some company", who's life insurance coverage equals the GDP of a small country. This all equates to highly suspect credentials.

Latest resources

Back