Lighten up Francis....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dhc8fo

My apologies to the United that had to go around tonight because of me at IAD. But come on, give a guy a break. I didn't do it on purpose (this is in respose to his nice "Thanks XXX" on the air).

I have been flying the King Air so much and hadn't been in the jet for a month and a half and I found myself trying to go for beta rather than deploying the reversers. By the time I figured out what I was thinking, I was too fast to make Y5.

Am I forgiven?

Last edited:
It's alright, he probably made an extra 100 bucks. Wait....more like 12.50.

f' them (specifically the controllers). when they cleared you to land did they ask you to hold short? the entire piece of pavement is yours. just because they can't separate a/c doesn't make it my problem.

f' them (specifically the controllers). when they cleared you to land did they ask you to hold short? the entire piece of pavement is yours. just because they can't separate a/c doesn't make it my problem.

Exactly...A 757 went around behind me one time and the controller got on me like it was my fault. We made the high speed. So my question is, how much spacing did we have if he doesnt have time for me to make the high speed?

Unfortunately, the corporate aircraft going into IAD do this all the time - the UAL pilot is probably sick of it. BTW, 170 to the marker means 170 to the marker, not 170 to 2 or 3 miles from the marker whereupon the (insert corporate aircraft here) decides that its time to slow to Vapp.
This gets really old guys.

Unfortunately, the corporate aircraft going into IAD do this all the time - the UAL pilot is probably sick of it. BTW, 170 to the marker means 170 to the marker, not 170 to 2 or 3 miles from the marker whereupon the (insert corporate aircraft here) decides that its time to slow to Vapp.

Works both ways . When you are following someone and they say 170 to the marker for following (xxx...insert name here)... that means you SLOW to 170 for the guy infront of you. That happens more at IAD than anywhere. Someone gets pi$$ed cause theyre slowed 100 miles out and tries to make it up the last 8 miles.

My favorite was in the Chicago area.
Controller: "SW slow to 250 at 12000."
SW: "we already are at 250"
Controller: "Well, you are overtaking the RJ infront of you by 70 kts and he's at 250 also, so SW slow to 180 till you can read the numbers, then call me back."
SW: "Roger, we'll slow to 250 now."

You're kidding yourself.

Mr. I.

Have you flown some corporate jets? For instance the lear 60 can have approach speeds of 147-152. On top of that it is pretty slick. If your not configured by the marker you may not be by the time you touch down (staying on profile). All of this takes planning and you need a little bit of time for that. The controller may not give you that. Once on the ground the smaller jet may not make an earlier turn off because it is smaller. The lear 60 has terrible brakes. The airliners I have flown can usaually stop sooner than the Lear 60.

All this being said Corporate guys should be able to maintain a 170 speed to the marker. All planes are not equal and smaller does not mean better performance numbers. Corporate guys don't go in and out of the hub all day long and are not as familar as the airline guy. So cut them some slack.

Obviously your craft does not have TCAS.

Latest resources

Back