• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Life on reserve at swa

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've commuted to a line, and now sit Sun/Mon/Tues PM reserve in domicile. Reserve isn't for everybody, but I get basically the entire weekend off with the family. Reserves get abused in the summer (exceed your guarantee) and in the winter months you usually work right up to or just won't exceed the guarantee. The nice thing is since there's not much open time in the winter, people will jump on your reserve trips, you'll get paid to stay home and still get your guarantee. Then if you care to fly more, you can pick up a few turns or a 2-day or what not and pad it a little. FWIW i'm 100 trip/month, non-cartel guy. There's much more money to be made if you know how to work the system or are willing to be a slave to the computer or cell phone. I'm not so I just do my reserve days, and maybe a turn or 2 if they don't use me every day on reserve. Working extra does NOT count against your guarantee which is nice. FWIW, when i can hold a Sun/Mon/Tues line I will for the added flexibility, but right now reserve during the week beats Fri/Sat/Sun line if you have kiddos. It's just not as fun on the road....

oops, forgot: I would never commute to reserve if you could have a line or sit reserve in domicile. Two completely different jobs...

Working extra does NOT count against your guarantee which is nice.

I'm not sure if I'm interpreting this correctly. When you fly a trip picked up on a day off, does the credit go on top of your guarantee ?

ie. 89 hour reserve guarantee, and you fly a trip that pays 14 TFP on your days off. Is your minimum credit for the month now 103 ?

Yes Dicko that is true. So what like the above post people will pick up a two day or so to help add to the month total. When I was on reserve I would do that and block 70hrs and get paid about 120 for the month. This was with 13 to 14 days off.

I'm not sure if I'm interpreting this correctly. When you fly a trip picked up on a day off, does the credit go on top of your guarantee ?

ie. 89 hour reserve guarantee, and you fly a trip that pays 14 TFP on your days off. Is your minimum credit for the month now 103 ?

Yes unlike UAL or AA where you get punished if you pick up, or DAL where you cant pick up if your on reserve.

Reserve can be good.

Thanks T & S,

Excellent. That's a huge deal for junior CA's and FO's.

AirTran Alpa managed to effectively negotiate away any credit above guarantee for Reserves in our latest contract. To a large extent it negated the pay raises for the junior in each seat. Certainly in the Captain seat. It also removed any motivation to do anything other than not work. May as well sit at home, because picking up time is either impossible and/or pointless.

Our last (current) contract negotiated away some of our reserve perks, it didn't affect the negotiators or the senior so it was seen as "not needed".

Believe pick up for month is capped (or was that TA 1, guess i better get it out and study it again, haven't been on reserve in a few months!)

Later,
KBB

Our last (current) contract negotiated away some of our reserve perks, it didn't affect the negotiators or the senior so it was seen as "not needed".

Believe pick up for month is capped (or was that TA 1, guess i better get it out and study it again, haven't been on reserve in a few months!)

Later,
KBB

If you're senior to me, I suggest you bid a month of delicious Reserve. It's tasty treat. Then attempt to move your credit north of guarantee.

:D

Later,
KBB

Kind of but not really :). 4 day hold you at 5 hrs a day 3 day or less 6. As the month rolls your cap as u put it goes up. Can not go wrong bidding reserve in feb.

Latest resources

Back