• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Life on reserve at swa

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I know it is a hard choice. Bur also for what it is worth the holidays pay time and half

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

From the December Bid packet. The numbers are total F/O bid positions and the second is the number of reserve lines.

BWI 382 44
DAL 279 30
HOU 308 31
LAS 333 44
MCO 315 36
MDW 467 57
OAK 327 42
PHX 484 58

System wide line averages 95.5 trips with 17.5 days off.

Also they are hiring about 140 early next year and they will probably be the plug in OAK and Vegas, and maybe a few in other bases.

There is no substitute for driving to work, and time with the little ones can't be bought. If you can hold hollidays off and be with family, why give up those times?

And you will work your butt off on reserve. SWA doesn't pay reserve pilots to sit at home and cover sick calls.

As a non-SWA guy, pardon my interruption (and I mean that respectfully) but if reserves at SWA always fly a bunch, why not just build more regular lines to begin with?

Or, given the large number of flights SWA has throughout the system coupled with one aircraft type (until recently at least), is it just inevitable that the reserves fly a bunch because things are always "coming up" and their services are needed?

Thanks (from a DAL guy)

The "perfect" reserve manning model for SWA would be if all open time (no matter how it's generated) is flown by reserves and all reserves are used up. It never works out perfectly but they try.

Can you drop (straight drop) trips and/or reserve days at SWA? Is there a method of doing that? I assume there would have to be adequate coverage on the days in question, but if there was, could you do that? Are there a minimum number of days/hours worked per month required?
At AirTran, currently you can drop trips if there is coverage available (there usually is, surprisingly) and there is a minimum of 35ish hours worked per month.

Last edited:
Can you drop (straight drop) trips and/or reserve days at SWA? Is there a method of doing that? I assume there would have to be adequate coverage on the days in question, but if there was, could you do that? Are there a minimum number of days/hours worked per month required?
At AirTran currently you can drop trips if there is coverage available, and there is a minimum of 35ish hours worked per month.

No one can just drop anything. You can put your entire line up for giveaway. You can give your whole line away and not work at all, but you aren't going to get paid either. There is no minimum.

So, I assume off the street hires into swa will be behind all the airtran peeps? If you got hired at swa now, how long would you be on reserve?? A lot of people here at flexjet are trying to get on at swa and I'm not so sure its such a good move now, is it??? I know swa is a great company but if you're a fairly senior captain at flexjet getting schedules you want etc... is it really worth the jump? I'm mainly talking Qol, I know the pay is more.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back