• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Life on reserve at swa

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No one can just drop anything. You can put your entire line up for giveaway. You can give your whole line away and not work at all, but you aren't going to get paid either. There is no minimum.

Good to know. If you tried giving away trips do people normally pick them up? ie. could you plan on doing that or is it hit and miss as far as the trips actually getting picked up? If on reserve can you give away reserve days? If not, how could you adjust your reserve schedule. Assuming you didn't mind small paychecks but want to maximize time at home whilst keeping the SWA seniority number.

So, I assume off the street hires into swa will be behind all the airtran peeps? If you got hired at swa now, how long would you be on reserve?? A lot of people here at flexjet are trying to get on at swa and I'm not so sure its such a good move now, is it??? I know swa is a great company but if you're a fairly senior captain at flexjet getting schedules you want etc... is it really worth the jump? I'm mainly talking Qol, I know the pay is more.

If you have to ask, stay where you are. SWA hires people who really want to work at SWA. I don't want to sound like a dik, but really, you are comparing a career at flexjet to SWA? I'm assuming you're in your late 50's?

Thea reality is, nobody picks up reserve lines, you might swap AM ro PM or different days but nobody is going to give you a line for a reserve unless they really need a day off which is rare.

The reality is, this is a very bad time to start at the bottom of any airline seniority list, period.

8out of 10 times if you want a day off you can getting through bidding or ELITT I'm bottom 1/3-1/4 of MCO FO and have never had an issue...hell I got xgiving and Xmas off this year....you have to know how to bid.....no cartel here....no reserve either.

Can you drop (straight drop) trips and/or reserve days at SWA? Is there a method of doing that? I assume there would have to be adequate coverage on the days in question, but if there was, could you do that? Are there a minimum number of days/hours worked per month required?
At AirTran, currently you can drop trips if there is coverage available (there usually is, surprisingly) and there is a minimum of 35ish hours worked per month.

As others have said you cant drop your res days. You can give the block or res away. You can give away the trip SWA gives you when you get the trip or any time it goes through your base.
You can give away part of your reserve days, that they have not used you yet. (ex. 3 day block of res and you have a 2 day trip, you can give away last day)

the last example is what most want. We have pilots that call the res pilot and ask for his last day of res.

Most SWA pilots( even our union reps) have no clue how our contract works along with pay. Find one of few that took the time to steep over the pennies to grab the dollars. :)
There is so much money to be made at this place if you know what is actually allowed .

Yes you can drop all your flying but SWA does not take it. You have to put it in give away and someone else has to pick up your trips.

PSS To the thread hijacker, I agree w/ Sag. Stay where your at, I do not think you would be happy here

Last edited:
So, I assume off the street hires into swa will be behind all the airtran peeps? If you got hired at swa now, how long would you be on reserve?? A lot of people here at flexjet are trying to get on at swa and I'm not so sure its such a good move now, is it??? I know swa is a great company but if you're a fairly senior captain at flexjet getting schedules you want etc... is it really worth the jump? I'm mainly talking Qol, I know the pay is more.

No one can be that stupid to have to ask that question. Can they ?

Your Analogy is like saying
( I am a CFI , I love wearing
Epaulets and living at home w my parents. Is it worth giving all that up to go to flexjets?.)
I'm mainly talking Qol, I know the pay is more.

Last edited:
No one can be that stupid to have to ask that question. Can they ?

Your Analogy is like saying
( I am a CFI , I love wearing
Epaulets and living at home w my parents. Is it worth giving all that up to go to flexjets?.)
I'm mainly talking Qol, I know the pay is more.

For the record, I didn't use an analogy and, if I did please show me where I did. The reason I asked is because i don't know. Alot of people here are talking of bailing to SWA and I'm curious if that is the right choice for them because they ask my advice, that is why I asked. I'm sorry, I know it's inconceivable and heartbreaking to you that I don't want to work at SWA and have never wanted to work there.

Also, your analogy does not parallel my sentiment but it is funny. And no I'm not even close to being in my 50's.

If you have to ask, stay where you are. SWA hires people who really want to work at SWA. I don't want to sound like a dik, but really, you are comparing a career at flexjet to SWA? I'm assuming you're in your late 50's?

I wasn't comparing, I was asking because I don't know. If I was comparing, it would be assumed that I knew the answers for comparison. I'm not asking for me, I'm asking due to everyone talking about it at work. I don't know every detail about swa schedules and days off, hence me asking the question. If I thought I wanted to work at swa, I would be asking you if it would be possible for me to make over 100k and get 18 days off a month; that's the kind of things I would be interested in.

I wasn't comparing, I was asking because I don't know. If I was comparing, it would be assumed that I knew the answers for comparison. I'm not asking for me, I'm asking due to everyone talking about it at work. I don't know every detail about swa schedules and days off, hence me asking the question. If I thought I wanted to work at swa, I would be asking you if it would be possible for me to make over 100k and get 18 days off a month; that's the kind of things I would be interested in.

Ok, fair enough. As an FO it is very easy to have 18-19 days off and make over 100K...Except for the new guys, I doubt few make less than 100k. Our schedules are extremely productive and fairly easy to manipulate to get what you need.

Latest resources

Back