• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Life on reserve at swa

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Since when does FJ get 18 days off a month? The pay has gotten up there ok, but they still work you like a rented mule last I heard. If they are giving you time off, they must be overstaffed. When have they ever been overstaffed during the holidays? Not now either I bet!

Another question for any 717 guys in the know zone.

If you are a junior FO on the 717 and bid SW 737, how long before your number gets called for training depends on SW correct?

It could possibly take until Jan 2015 anyway and by then everyone is making the same hourly pay correct?

Unless a junior 717 FO gets 737 SW right away then the waiting time for a SW class vs. 2015 is really how much different?

After witnessing the toll commutting is taking on my DAL friend's family via his wife complaining to my wife about not having a husband blah, blah.. I am staying with the 717.

I have always pretended I was a banker and had to live where the job is.
I believe I've been happier and healthier for it

I have always pretended I was a banker and had to live where the job is.
I believe I've been happier and healthier for it
First smart thing you've said in quite a while. Move to where the food is. Wife don't like it? Find a new one.

It depends

As usual, it depends. I have a buddy that specifically bid November reserve and wasn't used first two weeks of month. People will trade a 3-day hard trip for a reserve line IF THEY DON"T THINK THEY WILL BE USED. October/November are good times for this. Possibly other months, pickens are slim and 60K numbers are picking up two day reserve right now. As a reserve commuter, just like someone said before, if assigned a 3-day trip on a 4-day reserve block you will get numerous calls for that last day of reserve - same on a 2-day trip paired with a 3-day reserve. You can also put a preference to fly on reserve (guys in domicile put pass - they don't want to fly) so you will likely hit the road if you want.
Once you get assigned a trip you can put it up for give away. If someone may pick it up but you go right to the top of the list for another trip.
The key is to learn the system and then work it. There are ways to "work" the reserve system but you need to understand it.
Back to the original question, you can't get back time with your kids. If you are way underwater and the bank is going to take the house then do it. Can't pay me enough to commute. I live in domicile, commuted two months in my 7 year career, never want to do it again.

First smart thing you've said in quite a while. Move to where the food is. Wife don't like it? Find a new one.

"I know that film crew could give the kid a sandwich....

But you know I've been doing a lot of thinking, spent some time working it out, and I've solved world hunger. You want to solve world hunger, stop sending em food folks, don't send them another bite. If you want to help, do your part in some way, Send them Uhauls. Send them luggage. Send them a guy, that pulls them aside and says 'So...it occurred to me as we've been bringing your food here for, oh ...the last 30-40 years, that there wouldn't be world hunger, if you people, would live WHERE THE FOOD IS!!!! "
RIP Sam ;)!
"you know what this is... It's sand..."

No heart broken

Alot of people here are talking of bailing to SWA and I'm curious if that is the right choice for them because they ask my advice, that is why I asked. I'm sorry, I know it's inconceivable and heartbreaking to you that I don't want to work at SWA and have never wanted to work there.
Your coworkers are asking a wrong guy for advice.

Our heart is not broken to know you dont want to work here. We just want to hire people who really want to be here, not someone who is asking him/herself, do i really want to work at SWA?

Reserve rules are not that attractive but we do get 15-16 days off. Im a lineholder and I do swap my regular trip with a reserve block sometimes to give a rsv guy a break, to maybe get a day at home (hoping not get called), or to avoid an annoying Captain. (sometimes just to get another dikhead.)

"I know that film crew could give the kid a sandwich....

But you know I've been doing a lot of thinking, spent some time working it out, and I've solved world hunger. You want to solve world hunger, stop sending em food folks, don't send them another bite. If you want to help, do your part in some way, Send them Uhauls. Send them luggage. Send them a guy, that pulls them aside and says 'So...it occurred to me as we've been bringing your food here for, oh ...the last 30-40 years, that there wouldn't be world hunger, if you people, would live WHERE THE FOOD IS!!!! "
RIP Sam ;)!
"you know what this is... It's sand..."
lol - I played that CD a few weeks ago when I was getting rid of the plastic CD cases and putting them all in a zipper case. Sam Kinnison was probably one of the funniest comics I've ever heard. I still love the "Wild Thing" remake he did.

"You're a lying, unfaithful, untrustable tramp, but I think I love you!" :D

Latest resources

Back