• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Life at UPS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I Drove for UPS for 9 years. Do the letters of rec from management on the package car side hold any water? Or do they just prefer from the flight ops side?

You should know the UPS corporate culture. They would rather hire and train a driver to become a pilot rather than take some "prima donna" pilot from off the street.

I Drove for UPS for 9 years. Do the letters of rec from management on the package car side hold any water? Or do they just prefer from the flight ops side?

I believe letters from ANY management holds weight. My husband was hired with a letter from non-pilot management.

Sorry if I missed this, but are any new hore FO's going to SDF, or so you have to do the panel to get SDF? ANC is a long commute!

Actually, the cheerleader comment isn't too far off base!

C'mon Bob, when you were there at least 3 of them were hot. Mine was 4'10" and weighed 92 pounds. She was the ammunition for the basket toss. One was a friend from the Knobs and the hottest one was from Hawaii.

My humble two cents from another Purdue '94 brown bagger.

“…do you…have to do the panel to get SDF…” JetPilot_Mike – Comair Captain

Jet Pilot – as a new-hire at Comair, do you still have to fly an RJ or can you bid straight into the 777???

Listen - you don’t have to do anything – simply DO NOT APPLY and you "WON'T HAVE TO” be on the panel.

Amazing, my friend was on the panel at UPS almost 4 years when there was no hiring going on and he “bitched” way less than some of the “new-hire hopefuls.” Nowadays most new-hires go straight into the FO seat, the ones who get the panel usually move to the right seat within a year or less.

You probably didn’t “mean to” look down on the FE seat but it sure sounded so to me.

In my view your priorities (IF you’re interested in FedEx or UPS) should be

1) Is cargo flying something I could do for the rest of my life?
2) IF the answer is YES - Are their CURRENT benefits acceptable to me?
3) IF the answer is YES – How do I apply?
4) IF you get hired & you get the FE seat – How do I “bid” an FO seat?
5) Once you’re OFF probation – Now you can bitch, whine and complain all you want!

To worry about “having to” ride in the FE seat for a whopping 12 months, at the very most, is a slap in the face of the hundreds of pilots who are hoping for an interview regardless of which seat they might get. It’s also a slap in the face of all the pilots who started their careers at FedEx and UPS as FE’s and didn’t seem to mind.

Why don’t you apply with United NorthContinental Airways instead??? If you get a panel seat there it won’t be for long – you’ll probably be furloughed shortly thereafter.

Ok, done venting.

Oh, I also wish everyone Peace on Earth…;)

Last edited:
⌐ FLYER;1191169 said:
“…do you…have to do the panel to get SDF…” JetPilot_Mike – Comair Captain

Jet Pilot – as a new-hire at Comair, do you still have to fly an RJ or can you bid straight into the 777???

Listen - you don’t have to do anything – simply DO NOT APPLY and you "WON'T HAVE TO” be on the panel.

Amazing, my friend was on the panel at UPS almost 4 years when there was no hiring going on and he “bitched” way less than some of the “new-hire hopefuls.” Nowadays most new-hires go straight into the FO seat, the ones who get the panel usually move to the right seat within a year or less.

You probably didn’t “mean to” look down on the FE seat but it sure sounded so to me.

In my view your priorities (IF you’re interested in FedEx or UPS) should be

1) Is cargo flying something I could do for the rest of my life?
2) IF the answer is YES - Are their CURRENT benefits acceptable to me?
3) IF the answer is YES – How do I apply?
4) IF you get hired & you get the FE seat – How do I “bid” an FO seat?
5) Once you’re OFF probation – Now you can bitch, whine and complain all you want!

To worry about “having to” ride in the FE seat for a whopping 12 months, at the very most, is a slap in the face of the hundreds of pilots who are hoping for an interview regardless of which seat they might get. It’s also a slap in the face of all the pilots who started their careers at FedEx and UPS as FE’s and didn’t seem to mind.

Why don’t you apply with United NorthContinental Airways instead??? If you get a panel seat there it won’t be for long – you’ll probably be furloughed shortly thereafter.

Ok, done venting.

Oh, I also wish everyone Peace on Earth…;)

Wow, that was totally off base. I don't care if I have to do the panel, I was just hoping to get SDF because I live in the eastern US. All I've been reading recently is of new hire FO's getting ANC, and I would RATHER be a FE in SDF than an FO in ANC. I don't know all that much about the UPS operation but I am trying to gather information. I'd also like to know more about the types of trips and days off, but I guess you think I expect 20 days off a month.

Geez...:erm: that was a little uncalled for.

Last edited:
panel

Flyer...

Lay off the caffeine....I think it was just a harmless question and not meant to denigrate the panel denizens of present and past...

Aviator7576 (still have my steam burns from the 8 days....)

Wow, that was totally off base. I don't care if I have to do the panel, I was just hoping to get SDF because I live in the eastern US.

JetPilot Mike –

Oh well, sorry maybe I DID have too much coffee. I was probably remembering some of the previous, really nauseating comments when I saw your post, and I must have had a flashback. I have now joined Coffee Addicts Anonymous and I’ll try to go to every meeting…:blush:

As far as going to ANC – your profile doesn’t show any heave experience – which is what they really like to see before they put you on the MD11 or 747. So FE in SDF is quite possible even though you might go to MIA or ONT as well. Schedules? Too many variations to list.

Also, there have been numerous Comair guys/gals hired in the last 12 months or so, maybe you should try to get a hold of one of them for some inside scoop? Or better yet - an online referral? ;)

Good luck and sorry about the caffeine outburst. :0

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back