LIDO Charts... Love it.. or Hate it?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
little nasty rumor

I have heard from a couple people now that LIDO might be going away. Included in the rumor is word that Jep threatened to take all their shipping business to a certain brown carrier. Also on a side note, the A-380 has Jep electronic flight bag from what I have heard.

You know rumors, don't believe them until you see it yourself.

Goose17

A missed opportunity

The change from jepps to 'whatever' is a missed opportunity for a real improvement in readablity, accessable information, and safety.

To me it is sad that what we had worked, and now we are having to compromise to make what is new work safely.

On my arrival last night with the LIDO STAR, if I hadn't KNOWN for sure that there were crossing restrictions at certain fixes I could have easily missed the restrictions. If LIDO is so in love with colors put the fixes with altitude restrictions in a different color and have the text box with the altitudes in the same color.

Sadly, I actually looked forward to seeing and using these new charts, but in practice, I'm seriously disapponted. So I've been trying to figure out what the 'burr under my saddle' is about these charts, and I think I have figured part of it out. With the moving map, with constraints, you look at a pictoral view of your arrival with fixes with the assigned altitude restrictions. With Jepps, you looked at a similar pictoral view of the arrival with matching fixes with the assigned altitudes. You could 'almost' overlay one over the other.

With LIDO you have the 'pretty' background colors, the arrival is almost a secondary feature and the altitude restrictions are pushed off to the side in a box.

Again, we are flying transport catagory aircraft in a radar environment where the greatest 'threat' is ATC not giving you enough time to get down to make a restriction. Domesticly there is virtually no threat of flying into terrain unless you are deviating from the assigned route and altitudes.

If you are in an emergency situation and if so are you going to be looking at the pretty colors to figure out what altitudes they corrospond to?? NO, you will be getting vectors to the closest runway.

Oh Well, they are here, we'll make them work, just adds one more item to the list of potential mistakes. ONe more hole in the layers of 'swiss cheese'

The charts should support us not us support the charts.

This was a real opportunity to make a really neat new system with all the good items from Jepps, NOS etc put together. But it didn't happen.

As for the EFB, I can't wait to have the sun shining in your eyes, the laptop screen not readable, and having a 'microsoft moment' while ATC swaps the runways in IFR conditions at the last minute..... A real 'cluster' in the making

I haven't seen what an EFB will do for an AFC airport diagram with frequencies needed, so I'm betting we will still have to carry around a fair amount of paper for years to come. I just don't care for the LIDO charts with so many blank pages that you can't tell if they are supposed to be blank or not, at least Jepps stated 'intentional left blank' on their pages.

B6Guy

hey guys and gals, if these LIDO charts suck as described, please file a few NASA reports, describe how these charts contributed to your loss of SA or were just plane wrong, its the only way to get them fixed.

When it comes down to it Jepp just blew it business wise. LIDO is already a 100 percent data based product. That means that once it is in electronic format it will be easy to tailor to a specific aircraft. The EFB for instance would only display jet crossing restrictions and leave out the prop ones if you are in a jet. It also allows for more interactivity with the FMS and cuts down on the update time. If an error is found on a chart, that thing can be updated in the database and on the airplanes in no time. The Jepp EFB is nothing more than scanned visual images. A nice picture but completely useless in any other capacity.
That said, the paper LIDOs leave a lot to be desired, particularly their size in the Boeing, and the text SID descriptions. At least you guys in the MD and Airbus are getting the EFB. They keep saying that we are going to get it in the Boeing...yeah right, right after a GPS and an ACARS!!

Goose17 said:
I have heard from a couple people now that LIDO might be going away. Included in the rumor is word that Jep threatened to take all their shipping business to a certain brown carrier. Also on a side note, the A-380 has Jep electronic flight bag from what I have heard.

You know rumors, don't believe them until you see it yourself.

Goose17

Not a chance!!!!! Probably the same people that said the MD10 program was dead.:( BTW I get my Jepps via US Mail, not FedEx. Jepps in the A380???:laugh:

FoxHunter said:
Not a chance!!!!! Probably the same people that said the MD10 program was dead.:( BTW I get my Jepps via US Mail, not FedEx. Jepps in the A380???:laugh:

The last two captains I flew with had the same rumor. We'll see what happens.

Goose17

I'll wager a cup of AOC coffee and a bag of AOC popcorn that the Boeing NEVER sees an EFB. Assuming the FAA buys off (gets paid off) on LIDO, Boeing homies will be using the paper version until the whistling $hithouse retires.

LIDO sucks.

PurpleInMEM said:
I'll wager a cup of AOC coffee and a bag of AOC popcorn that the Boeing NEVER sees an EFB. Assuming the FAA buys off (gets paid off) on LIDO, Boeing homies will be using the paper version until the whistling $hithouse retires.

LIDO sucks.

The Lido charts are great. The best part getting rid of the 5 over stuffed binders, plus 5 pack of enroute charts, about 60 lbs worth, plus the revisions. :beer:

Why would Airbus, of all companies, use Boeings Jepps as a default? Does that make sense to you? The rest of that rumor uses similar logic!

??? they are not Boeing Jepps. They are a approach plate system designed by luftansa (sp?)

Latest resources

Back