Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
filejw said:
Do you still have to due revisions?LOL

We're supposed to have this multi stepped plan to eliminate all paper charts for the pilots except the airport diagram (and maybe have just the popular ILSs)

Enroute charts and approach charts will be on the pilot laptop (which is a Class I Electronic Flight Bag).

Eventually the Class II EFBs will be installed in the airplanes..

Everything is backed up with a shrinkwrapped brick of LIDO charts in each aircraft.

Revisions are downloaded on the pilot laptop and paper charts revised every two weeks.

What a freaking production..
But eventually it will be less work.
The transition blows though.
The ICAO terminology is so EUROPEAN...
Oh well...
Its a beancounter move.

And as far as being embarrassed about not knowing what LIDO is..
Very few of us did until about a month ago.

I'd say that overall, I like them better. However, I was "forced" to use them from day 1 of new-hire training. So after that you get pretty familiar with them. If someone just handed me a LIDO bag and said "use these on your next trip", I'd fuc k ing hate them.

However, having said all that, they are definately meant to be used only with an interactive, database-type, EFB. They are NOT meant to be used as a paper system; that's for backup purposes only, incase both pilots spill coffee/coke on both laptops. At FedEX, for some reason we decided to use LIDO before the EFBs are ready, and I think that has really hurt the overall opinion of them. So we're using the backup, paper system as our primairy system. That makes things more difficult, and is not the way Lufthansa intended the charts to be used.

If you were just clicking left and right arrows symbols on a touch screen laptop, hard-mounted to the side of the cockpit in order to cycle thru plates and airport diagrams, I think people would like them ALOT more....

Last edited:
Lake Alice said:
LIDO charts are an alternative charting system designed by Lufthansa.

http://www.lhsystems.com/topic3/topic33/33_4.htm

I know domestic carriers JetBlue and FedEx use them and I think UPS may be starting soon. Don't quote me on that part though.

UPS uses the LIDO flight planning software for the dispatchers but we still have the good ole paper Jepps. Haven't heard anything about replacing them for now.

The toughest part of using them is learning where to find everything (AFC/AGC/IAC/etc.) After you get used to where everything is and how to restructure your approach briefs, they are the same as anything else. There are definitely some features that I like (color/AFC one-look view/SUA depictions/terrain feature depictions/etc), but some info that Jepps had is not there. Our tech types tell me that the EFB version of LIDO offers more potential than the Jepps EFB. Last, I can't say that I miss the Jepps update every 2 weeks.

Not an improvement

So far I don't like them. Of course having used Jepps for 30 years makes any change difficult.

Printing only on one side of a page on so many pages is stupid, we now have two books to lug around. The 'pretty' colors are nice for SA, but Jepps did that with the 'special airport' aerial photos. And if you have easy to find and read altitudes, you don't need the colors to tell you that there is high terrain. We're not flying special VFR in a Cessna 172, we are on IFR flight plans in radar environment.

Not having needed frequencies on every page does what?? save ink?? To have to refer back to the AFC to find frequencies is really backward.
Not having a 'ball note' or some notation at each fix with a crossing restrictions is wrong. Or even having to look all over for any restriction is wrong. Jepps had a large obvious box with an arrow to the fix with a restriction. I'm betting on some missed crossing altitudes and speeds.

So far, a big 'thumbs down'.

B6Guy

Lots of "we fear change."

I can't wait to ditch my Jepp bag but LIDO is definately a suppliment to the EFB and should not be used as a stand alone. The LIDO's still have a lot of errors and short comings to say the least.

Half the PIREPS at FedEx are due to LIDO errors.

BUT, it is the future so get use to it.

Nothing like lugging around 25 pounds of Jepp on an RFO flight where you know nobody's going to look at them.....

Latest resources

Back