Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CatYaaak said:
How about regulating yourself?

One airline I used to work for had a 3-call policy...3 calls of fatigue or sick in a year and you were fired. Yes, it was challenged by someone and it stood up in court.

But...

Ours is a chosen profession, and early mornings and flying have been going together since Dawn Patrol.

And so have fatigue related accidents...see the trend?

NJApilot said:
It's time for the air carriers and the unions representing pilots (yes, you ALPA) to step up and be proactive on the issue of fatigue.

Sorry, Duane Woerth(less) was too busy campaigning for Kerry and writing stern letters about lasers.

The really HORRIBLE thing is that the technology exists TODAY to have stoped this.

Do a google search on Honeywell Runway Awareness and Advisory System (RAAS).

I have it on my aircraft. It announces the runway, "Approaching Runway XX on takeoff and landing. This would have told the crew that they were on the wrong runway.

When we get to a predetermined number(set by operator) it starts to announce feet remaining on your current runway. This would have warned them that they did not have enough runway remaining.

We are a single aircraft operator and the cost to add it to our G5 was $24,000. For less then $500 a person Comair mgt could have kept everyone on that aircraft alive.

Imagine the discount a large carrier would get. It's truly unfortunate that it takes somethig like this to make mgt wake up

This is the type of safety equipment that I can see the FAA mandating after the NTSB report.

It truly is a shame, my thoughts and prayers go out to the familes of those who lost loved ones.

How hard will it be for Comair to defend the choice NOT to purchase RAAS? I hope the person who made the decision not to purchase RAAS, can sleep with himself

Last edited:
How hard will it be for Comair to defend the choice NOT to purchase RAAS? I hope the person who made the decision not to purchase RAAS, can sleep with himself

That person would first have to defend the choice not to purchase GPS on half of the airplanes, which I assume is required for RAAS. That person would not be an employee of Comair either, as mother Delta controls all such expenditures. Since they can't even seem to afford tugs to push back airplanes, I doubt if we'll see RAAS any time soon, unless mandated by the FAA.

Just like the computer meltdown. Delta's fault for not spending the money on upgrades, but Comair's fault anyway. This is a Delta problem, and nothing else.

Gps

some other comair person correct me however, i believe ALL comair jets are now upgraded with GPS. This was only done in 2004 or 2005, mostly done because of FAA mandate for gpws and egpws.
R.I.P. Thoughts and prayers.

some other comair person correct me however, i believe ALL comair jets are now upgraded with GPS. This was only done in 2004 or 2005, mostly done because of FAA mandate for gpws and egpws.
R.I.P. Thoughts and prayers.

Nope.

The egpws probably has a GPS in it that you don't know about or have access to. The J41 was like that. No GPS available for navigation but it does live inside the EGPWS.

Latest resources

Back