Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Letter of Warning and working at a major.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As long as it's not for checkride problems or training-related, they won't be able to view it anyway.

How long has it been? LOWs are completely expunged from you records after 2 years. Additionally, they don't show up on PRIA.

The letter of warning was for an altitude deviation. The autopilot failed to capture. I just recieved it.

I am on probation at my current airline, so I am afraid to dispute it, although the captain is doing that.

I am curious as to how big of a deal this will be in any future interviews, and if it is worth the hassle (and possible dismissal at my current airline) if I fight it.

I have been told that if I fight it, I will lose the protection from company disciplinary action (aka firing) afforded by the ASAP program.

As long as it's not for checkride problems or training-related, they won't be able to view it anyway.
Not true! I’ve volunteered in the safety department before and have seen “Notice of Warning” (aka letter of warning) notes in application files when we conducted Pria searches. Pria records will make the letter of warning available to all prospective employers; at least for the duration of the letter (which is usually 2 years).

Once it's expunged it's usually gone; however, if the airline really wants to know, the record of the violation may still be found at the FSDO office which conducted the investigation.

I remember one of our applicants (I worked at a very small regional then) had learned this the hard way. He had been terminated from another regional (Comair or Chautauqua, can’t remember now) about a year prior. He had a letter of warning that was about to expire but he chose to withhold that information hoping they’d never find out. Well, they terminated him after 11 days of ground school. This happened almost 5 years ago now.

To answer your original question – be honest about what happened and it shouldn’t be a problem. Turn it into a “this is what I learned” story. Just don’t lie. Good luck to you.

Also, research your file to make sure it’s even there. John A. Ryan is in charge of the pria program at the OKC FSDO. Contact him to find out exactly what you got on your file. Very nice fellow and he’ll be honest with you.

The letter of warning was for an altitude deviation. The autopilot failed to capture. I just recieved it.
I am on probation at my current airline, so I am afraid to dispute it, although the captain is doing that.
I am curious as to how big of a deal this will be in any future interviews, and if it is worth the hassle (and possible dismissal at my current airline) if I fight it.
I have been told that if I fight it, I will lose the protection from company disciplinary action (aka firing) afforded by the ASAP program.
I posted my previous reply before I saw your last message. It looks like you were part of the ASAP program and after the investigation you were issued the LOW. If so, there’s really not much you can do in disputing it. The advantage of a LOW is that it’s time limited (2 years, sometimes even less), the disadvantage is that once the FAA issues it, there’s no appeal process. My information is slightly dated, 5 years or more, but I specifically remember our POI explaining the difference between a letter of warning, letter of correction, or a plain violation.

Even though you are on probation, I seriously doubt your airline would even consider to dismiss you because if they do, they put the entire premise of the ASAP program into questioning. After all, the idea is for the pilots to come forward when they’ve screwed up so others can learn from their mistakes.

Good luck to you, stay low, stay out of trouble and you won’t have any trouble in the future once it clears your record, and it will.

Last edited:
Thank you for the information, AV80R. The letter of warning is for a 2 year period.

Although I certainly do not want to jinks myself, what would the consequences be if I recieved another letter within the 2 year period?

Latest resources

Back