Les Abend

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
June Les Abend

He devoted two pages to PA Announcements 101 in the June Flying. Now, really, except for airline pilots, how many people in his reading audience can relate to making public address announcements during a flight? He wrote in depth into the ABCs of proper cabin announcements and even quoted from his company manual. Though I wanted to fly for the airlines, I could not relate to the article. The Richard Collins upscale pilot/businessman type could not relate to the article. Perhaps the Gulfstream/TAB Express P-F-T crowd who reads the mag (there was a full-page ad for Gulfstream) might relate to the article.

What a waste of paper. I agree with comments above about how Michael Maya Charles writes great articles.

Last edited:
LJDRVR said:
In my humble opinion as a free-lance writer, (And not a very good one at that...) the perfect aviation magazine would include the following, they are the BEST at what they do:

Hippie stuff:
Lane Wallace
Dave English
Hippie stuff! that's funny....I'm sure they'll get a kick out of that!

I've met Lane. She is as nice in person as she seems in print. Not really a 'hippie' -- but someone in love with flying and flying people. Has the rare talent to transcribe it into words. And the rarer talent to do so every month.

I think 'Airways' is the best magazine right now. www.airwaysmag.com

English is a bigger tool than Abend, but a good enough writer to hide it!

'Flying' is a shadow of what it was in the sixties and seventies. Pick up some old copies at a yard sale or used book store. It's a revelation. Then look at some old Private Pilot or whatnot from the same era. Richard Bach, Ernie Gann, Rick Drury, Len Morgan, Bax. Great writers talking about great flying. And if that makes me a hippie . . . so be it.

Last edited:
We love your writing, SkyGod...no hippie about it!

Count me in.

When I was a child, my dad had a stack of Flying next to the can, on the windowsill and the radiator. I had heard about ground effect before I could factor an equation.

Those were good days. Too bad nobody publishes a magazine that counters the PFT crap we see now. :(

Maybe we should forward a link to this thread to Abend's in-box over at Flying?

It would warm my heart if he knew his ultra-tool status was being discussed here.

What say? Turn him in the the editors?
:evil grin:

Yep,

Abend is a complete horse's @ss. I read one of his columns in which he was discussing his first large airplane class (727 I think) He claimed that he was the only one in the class who could land the airplane well even though he had no large airplane experience and many of the others in the class did. In his version the instructors admonished the rest of hte class, saying that abend was the only one who was doing it right. Ummmm yeah, sure. His column on armed pilots was pretty sad too.

Can you imagine spending a week in the cockpit with that sanctimonious dolt?

A Squared,

If I had to spend a trip with that sanctimonious a** Abend and, if I were an FFDO I would probably just blow his f**king brains out with my sidearm for subjecting me to such horse s**t.

I would think the rest of AA's first officers would thank me! :rolleyes:

I've read Dave Engish's articles and have had the pleasure of meeting him in the crew lounge in Chicago. I agree with the assesments of his writing. He has the rare ability to paint a perfect picture and then place the reader right into the middle of it.

I hope Skyg..., er, Dave continues writing his beautiful pieces and I agree with him about the best writers. I include him in that bunch.;)

Keep em coming Dave and have fun at JetBlue!! :D

Latest resources

Back