• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

typhoonpilot

Daddy
Rant on.

Has anyone else read Les Abend's articles in Flying magazine lately ? What a tool that guy is!! I just read read the May article where he is Mr. Perfect pilot amazingly landing a 767 with no hydraulics. His CO-PILOT must have been in awe of the mastery to which Mr. Abend flies. He even calls " positive rate " for himself on takeoff while acting as pilot flying. As for the term " co-pilot " which he often uses to refer to his first officer I really hate that term these days. It shows an arrogance and lack of respect for a professional aviator sitting in the right seat who through no fault of his own is just not senior enough to be a captain.

Rant off.

Typhoonpilot

Hi typhoon,

And since this was in Flying, this surprises you how? I haven't picked one up since Len Morgan and Bax left the scene.

Nu

A friend gave me the May and June issues so I was just killing time when I came across his article. I haven't actually subscribed to the magazine for ten years. I used to enjoy reading Bax Seat and Len Morgan's stuff as well.

TP

Last edited:
Les is Less

My fav Abend article was a while back when he was relating a story about a time when he had to do some sort of low vis autoland down to the nuts. His "co-pilot" had never done one on line and was excited to try it. Who could blame the guy for wanting to see something that could break up the monotony of every day line flying?

Well ol' Les had to "sit him down and explain that this was no video game and he needed a co-pilot who could back him up so settle down this was serious stuff with lives at stake..." Dude, relax. When aren't lives at stake? The airplane will be doing all the flying anyway. Les must be a real blast on a 4 day...what a helmet.

Flying "Magazine"

I started to read aviation magazines again about two years ago after barely lifting a page on any for nine years. I bought a sub to Flying through a deal my niece had with her school. What a dissapointment, primarily because the mag had turned into a shill for its advertisers. E.g., it runs articles about flight schools, including P-F-T "schools," which coincidentally advertise in the mag. So much for hard-hitting, objective journalism.

I did like the Melmoth articles from some time ago and still read Peter Garrison. But the magazine really has gone downhill.

I worked with Les and flew with him many times at Southern Jersey Airways years ago. He is a decent guy with a great sense of humor.

Although I have not seen him in many years, I make a special trip to the book store every month because I enjoy his writing.

I take is for what it is. Creative Writing and Entertainment!

scabseeker said:
My fav Abend article was a while back when he was relating a story about a time when he had to do some sort of low vis autoland down to the nuts. His "co-pilot" had never done one on line and was excited to try it. Who could blame the guy for wanting to see something that could break up the monotony of every day line flying?

Well ol' Les had to "sit him down and explain that this was no video game and he needed a co-pilot who could back him up so settle down this was serious stuff with lives at stake..." Dude, relax. When aren't lives at stake? The airplane will be doing all the flying anyway. Les must be a real blast on a 4 day...what a helmet.
You don't think "relax, the airplane will be doing all the flying," is a dangerous attitude?

TrafficInSight said:
You don't think "relax, the airplane will be doing all the flying," is a dangerous attitude?
Ok, let me break this down..

Les had to sit the co-pilot down and say "that this was no video game and he needed a co-pilot who could back him up..."

To which the previous poster said to relax, because the airplane would be doing all the flying, which means there would be two pilots to back up the automated systems, unless Les needed someone to back him up as he was backing up the autoland...

Trafficinsight,

I think what he's getting at is that autolands are not mystical...depending on your company they are fairly routine and commonplace, even if the weather doesn't require them. At DL, we had to do them on a regular basis to keep the airplane's equipment certified and it was good practice in the procedures.

I think Abend was upping the drama for the readership!

jumppilot said:
Ok, let me break this down..

Les had to sit the co-pilot down and say "that this was no video game and he needed a co-pilot who could back him up..."

To which the previous poster said to relax, because the airplane would be doing all the flying, which means there would be two pilots to back up the automated systems, unless Les needed someone to back him up as he was backing up the autoland...
I understand that just fine but Les was making sure that his FO understood that. The last thing I would want is someone who was excited about watching the autopilot land and continued to be excited while the autopilot crashed... The more eyes watching the buttons the better as far as I'm concerned.

I've read the article in question and it didn't seem like he was being arrogant to me. *shrug*

Latest resources

Back