Les Abend

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TrafficInSight said:
I understand that just fine but Les was making sure that his FO understood that. The last thing I would want is someone who was excited about watching the autopilot land and continued to be excited while the autopilot crashed... The more eyes watching the buttons the better as far as I'm concerned.

I've read the article in question and it didn't seem like he was being arrogant to me. *shrug*
I never did read the article and am just going off of what other said.

NuGuy said:
And since this was in Flying, this surprises you how? I haven't picked one up since Len Morgan and Bax left the scene.
My thoughts exactly. I still read the rag from time to time when I find a free copy, but it has really gone downhill. Could Richard Collins please retire or go away and quit writing about his freakin' P210?? It seems to me that their target audience is rich doctors, lawyers and CEO's with money to burn that want a hobby. Look at all those ads for shiny new jets and turboprops... what normal person can afford that stuff? And the new guy Dick Karl, a moneybags doctor who flies his own Cheyenne. Who can relate to that?

Love that article they did awhile back about how "affordable" it is to run right out and buy a jet. Riiight. I'm gonna have a hard enough time affording a bare bones equipped RV-8... and these bozos are hyping up avionics systems that cost more than the grand total of my RV when it's done. Unreal.

As a former subscriber to Flying magazine I can lament the decline of what I once thought was once a decent magazine.

When Len Morgan had his column in Flying magazine it would be the first pages I would read with Mr Baxter a close second. I almost choked when I read the sanctimonious editorializing by Les Abend in a recent article he wrote about having FFDO's with guns in the cockpit.

As for Mr Maclellan and Collins they truly represent the dynamic duo in aviation journalism- the two most conceited d**kheads I have had the misfortune to read about!

Flying magazine has been the only disappointing "benefit" to a membership with NAFI. I concur with TheDogsBollocks concerning Mr. Collins. I had to throw the last issue away as soon as I read his article about landings. It not so many words he says an engine out landing in a twin should be a no brainer, after all, you've only lost 50% of your horsepower...

What a tool....

Man, when I was a kid FLYING was something else. Len Morgan, Michael Maya Charles, Bax, Fred George. The only thing left there worth a look is Peter Lert and Lane Wallace, a beautiful soul who, though she doesn't speak to my type A, firstborn personality, does do a wonderful job of communicating thoughts and ideas to the low-time bohemian/hippie type pilot.

Len Morgan really was the best. What a thoroughly, humble, self-deprecating, consumate professional. As I re-read his articles I enjoyed growing up through the eyes of a professional pilot, it's now apparent to me what a tremendous guy to fly with he must have been. When I was 15 (82'), he wrote a pilot report on flying the 727. Anyone remember that? I read it again and again. In my humble opinion as a free-lance writer, (And not a very good one at that...) the perfect aviation magazine would include the following, they are the BEST at what they do:

Turbine aircraft flight reports:
Fred George
Stuart Lau

Piston flight reports:
Bill Cox

Pro's nest
Michael Maya Charles
Barry Schiff
Rick Drury

Editorials
Mac Mclellan
John Olcott

Hippie stuff:
Lane Wallace
Dave English

Safety:
Tony Kern
John Wiley

Photography:
Paul Bowen
Russell Munson
Jack Cox

Art:
K.O Eckland
Barry Ross

Anybody else got any favorites? By the way, lay off Les Abend folks. Baring your soul on the printed page takes a huge pair of cajones. More power to you Les! Besides, do you folks have any idea how much of an article an editor can change? You guys don't know what's Les and what's Mac. Trust me on this. My first article was maybe 70% mine by the time the magazine went to press. I'm not complaining, just understand that what you are reading is not word for word the author's.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I definitely agree with your choices, Lane Wallace reminds me why I love aviation, Michael Maya Charles is great there and on Avweb. I enjoy reading Dick Karl even though I can't relate I'm not sure it's fair to say NO ONE can relate, it's entertaining reading and I do see a few twin turboprops at my local airport.

Flying to me is the most entertaining magazine of the 4 main ones. AOPA Pilot is good info but I've felt for a while that the only entertaining thing in it is Rod Machado.

If AOPA Pilot is the trade magazine then Flying is the fun hey lets dream for a while magazine. Sorta like Hot Rod or something of that nature. Stuff I would never waste disposable income on but if I got the chance I'd sit in the cockpit and go "VROOM VROOM!" hehe

typhoonpilot said:
He even calls " positive rate " for himself on takeoff while acting as pilot flying.
I am not defending Captain Abend because I think he is a total tool. However, at AA the proper callout for the pilot flying is always "Positive Rate, Gear Up."

I dont know why they ask us to do it that way they just do. We are also suppose to give a hand jesture for gear up and gear down.

Go figure. :rolleyes:

Les Abend wrote another gem of a column about a year ago concerning the arming of pilots in the cockpit. It was a tirade against the dangers of letting guns in the cockpit, the FO getting angry and shooting the Captain, shooting a window out, etc. I got about halfway through it, and then had to start over because I realized that he wasn't kidding! It was the kind of uninformed drivel that I would expect out of USA Today or CBS, but certainly not from a line pilot.
I hope that pilot hopefuls don't see Les as the kind of Captain they will have to fly with someday. He seems like a d*ickhead.

Dangerkitty said:
We are also suppose to give a hand jesture for gear up and gear down.
I thought AA might have a rule about that! Some AA pilots I've seen look like Yoda raising the X-wing out of the swamp. I suppose just a simple gesture would suffice, but that's just me I suppose. :D

AA the proper callout for the pilot flying is always "Positive Rate, Gear Up."
So you are telling me that the pilot flying is watching his VSI while he is taking off. Who the hell is looking out the window at this point.

-I agree, I really miss Len Morgen's articles!!

-And Bax, too! I wonder if he is still living?

-I can't stand Collins and his stupid 210.

-Clay Lacey from Pro Pilot can also be a tool.
But, at least he does have a ton of experience and types.

Latest resources

Back