• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Les Abend

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You beat me to it. Lacy is a pompous ass. Speaking of which, Pro Pilot has turned out to be a disappointing read overall. There are a couple of good columns but the feature articles are lame.

Soooo..... What are your favorite and least favorite aviation rags?

Airline Pilot (ALPA) is the single worst piece o' crap out there.

Flying is getting worse and worse by the month.

Pro Pilot is short on substance and they are also shills for their advertisers.

AOPA isn't too bad and I kinda like Private Pilot. You know, back to basics and all that sort of stuff.

Aviation Weekly is probably the most informative but too pricey for my budget.

Airliners is interesting in a weird sorta way.

Truth is I really don't know of any aviation magazines that I really look forward to reading on a regular basis. Some are okay, but there isn't one that really is a standout, except for bad ones.

Hmm, maybe I'm on to something here. I've been looking for a new business venture. Let's start a new aviation rag that folks might actually enjoy. Hey Timebuilder, aren't you into journalism? PM me and we'll get started!

Last edited:
I'd have to say that Pilot Journal is fairly interesting. Other than that, most of the mags out there kinda suck.

I really like Aviation International News (AIN). It's more of a trade mag. then an entertainment type mag. But it really knows what's going on in the aviation industry. It is geared more toward 91, 135, and frac.

Lets face it, in aviation there is only one thing more boring than airline flying. Its people who write articles about airline flying. We have a guy from my airline that writes for a magazine and this month he discusses how to wear "The Uniform". Now thats a guy who needs a short bus real bad!

Bandit60 said:
So you are telling me that the pilot flying is watching his VSI while he is taking off. Who the hell is looking out the window at this point.
My airline does the same procedure. Just my .02

LJDRVR said:
Len Morgan really was the best. What a thoroughly, humble, self-deprecating, consumate professional. As I re-read his articles I enjoyed growing up through the eyes of a professional pilot, it's now apparent to me what a tremendous guy to fly with he must have been. When I was 15 (82'), he wrote a pilot report on flying the 727. Anyone remember that? I read it again and again.

LJ,

Yup. I have a collection of his articles in a book called "Vectors". Very much like Ernie Gann, his works about airline flying is as true today as it was 2o years ago. His book sits in next to my copy of "Fate is the Hunter". I flown with some guys who knew him and his son at BNF, and all have said he was a class act.

I also agree about Flying...I will probably never be in a position to by any sort of corporate jet or turboprop, so the stuff in Flying is worth zero to me. I certainly don't need it for aviation news.

The AOPA mag suits me better for what I'm looking for, which is interesting tidbits on piston airplanes. I'm sure Private Pilot or Plane and Pilot do just as well, but without all the gloss.

Nu

Les is a complete and absolute smuck, what a cluster fukc.... I read his article, big fukcing deal, did he want a cookie, pat on the back, or possibly both at the same time?. He is an American Airlines captain, yippee, he is one of many there, the biggest difference is that the others don't need to write about 121 training/recurrent experiences just to get off. Possibly he has a self esteem problem, I dunno..... Bax, Morgan, etc, are "has beens" who need to continue to fade off into the sunset, those were/are some of the most boring stories that I have ever read... Who cares about way back when?!?! They are going, going, going, but not quite gone yet.!!!

Dr. Citation is also something else, anyone else read about his recent type rating at FSI? It was rather comical to say the least.:D I think it was 2 issues or so ago.

They replaced a highly respected Airways captain for this smuck, big mistake...
bring back Captain Block and restore some "class" to the magazine.

3 5 0

ps>> I dropped the subscription about a month ago.

Pro Pilot is a good read, much more tailored towards the professional av8or.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back