Les Abend

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ATCER said:
While in line for TO he is still asking the FO questions, he asks... "in the B757, can the FO seat see the right engine from looking out the window" ... as the FO begins to turn around to look (big mistake) the Capt hits him on the head with the book ! I said to myself this is going from bad to worse...QUOTE]

For a wanker like this the only proper response to the question and subsequent book-strike would be something along the lines of .."Why yes, I know you can see the engine because I just watched your wife suck-starting it back at the gate."

Agree with the majority ... Flying Magazine is just about $hite nowadays. When I started flying in '95 I really liked it, and I thought Private Pilot, Plane & Pilot, et al were crap. That seems to have changed in the last few years. I realize that Flying is really geared toward a different audience (uber-rich guys or Major jocks with kids needing to decide which pilot factory to go to) but still ... there's practically NOTHING in there for the average weekend warrior anymore.

And yes ... Abend comes off as a total ass-clown.

Minh

ATCER:.....

If you get stuck on this guy's j/s again (if you ever get the 160 program back, that is) here's a good way to get him to let you sit in the back.

Sometime shortly after takeoff, start searching around and act like you lost something. When the captain inquires as the what you are looking for, just say "I'm looking for a 'sick-sack'. I always throw up whenever I ride one of these flying machines".

The captain will probably make sure you get a seat in the back.

Aviation Safety

Aviation Safety is one of the top subscriptions out there, IMHO, for the GA crowd. It actually has USEFUL, MEANINGFUL flying stuff in there. No fluff, no ads, no stupid "pirep" articles about flying the latest business turboprop that most average joes will never be able to afford. IFR refresher is good, too, but A.S. is more broad in scope.

I haven't picked up a Plane and Pilot lately, but does anybody like Budd Davison's Grassroots column? I used to love those.

Bandit60 said:
so who is looking outside at that point?
Well since we are technically IFR at all times the PF should be on the gauges and the PNF outside. But as you probably do in VFR conditions you look in and outside as the PF. To answer your question, my FSM says the PNF should be watching outside.

I really like to read Kitplanes and Sport Aviation (by the EAA), but I'm into homebuilding.

Who's Looking Outside on Takeoff...

Normally I just close my eyes....takeoffs are scary! But not nearly as scary as landings.;)

350DRIVER said:
They replaced a highly respected Airways captain for this smuck,
I doubt you will find many airways pilots that agree with your opinion of said pilot. Especially the ones that had to fly with him.

I doubt you will find many airways pilots that agree with your opinion of said pilot. Especially the ones that had to fly with him.
You may be right but the Airways pilots that I know surely don't share your same opinion(s). Have you flown with Captain Block prior to him taking his early retirement? Atleast this guy didn't come across as a complete assho!e, over-accomplished clown as Abend does issue after issue. Les brings nothing of usable substance to the magazine other than personal opinion and whacked/flawed logic. I would rather be locked in a cockpit with Ron Jeremy talking about the overweight females that he tagged over the years before I would ever want to discuss flying with Les.

different strokes for different folks.......

3 5 0

Latest resources

Back