• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Legacy Bashfest - Bring it on!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I hear that when you guys were busted, she was in the middle of saying, "Is it in yet? Is it in yet?"

bigD said:
I hear that when you guys were busted, she was in the middle of saying, "Is it in yet? Is it in yet?"

Ha ha ha ha! No I think she was saying, "It's not a race you idiot!"

Here's a couple of items that will effect the dispatch reliability of the WSCofD.... NTSB Identification: CHI05IA116
Scheduled 14 CFR Part 121: Air Carrier operation of TRANS STATES AIRLINES INC
Incident occurred Thursday, May 19, 2005 in Kansas City, MO
Aircraft: Embraer EMB, registration: N814HK
Injuries: 52 Uninjured.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.
On May 19, 2005, about 1030 central daylight time, an Embraer EMB-145LR, N814HK, piloted by an airline transport pilot, sustained minor damage as a result of an uncontained failure of the number one engine during cruise flight near Kansas City, Missouri. The airplane returned to the departure airport where an uneventful landing was made. The air carrier flight was operating under the provisions of 14 CFR Part 121 and was on an instrument flight rules flight plan. There were 49 passengers and 3 crewmembers on board. No injuries were reported. The flight originated from the St. Louis International Airport (STL), St. Louis, Missouri, and was bound for the Denver International Airport (DEN), Denver, Colorado.

and.......

NTSB Identification: ATL05LA065
Scheduled 14 CFR Part 121: Air Carrier operation of American Eagle Airlines Inc
Accident occurred Sunday, March 20, 2005 in Raleigh, NC
Aircraft: Embraer EMB-135LR, registration: N733KR
Injuries: 1 Serious, 31 Uninjured.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.
On March 20, 2005, at 1148 eastern standard time, an Embraer EMB-135LR, N733KR, registered to and operated by American Eagle Airlines, Inc., as Flight 650, and flown by the captain, conducted an emergency evacuation following an emergency landing at the Raleigh Durham International Airport in Raleigh, North Carolina. The airplane was operated under the provisions of 14 CFR Part 121 and instrument flight rules (IFR). Visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and an IFR Flight Plan was filed. The captain, first officer, flight attendant and 28 passengers were not injured, but one passenger received a serious injury. The fight originated from Raleigh, North Carolina, on March 20, 2005, at 1100.

According to the captain, shortly after takeoff there was a foul oil smell spreading throughout the cockpit and cabin. The captain declared an emergency with air traffic control and returned to Raleigh Durham International Airport. The flight was cleared for an approach to and an emergency landing on runway 23R. After the airplane stopped on the runway, the captain ordered an emergency evacuation of the airplane. The flight attendant opened the main boarding door and the forward galley door and passengers evacuated the airplane. During the evacuation, one passenger received serious injuries and was transported to the local hospital via ambulance. The airplane has been moved to a local facility for further examination

and another incident........

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 836RP Make/Model: E135 Description: ERJ-135
Date: 05/27/2005 Time: 1815

Event Type: Incident Highest Injury: None Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Unknown

DESCRIPTION
N836RP, A EMBRAER EMB-135LR ACFT, CHAUTAUQUA AIRLINES CHQ6387, DURING TAXI,
THE LEFT WING HIT A CEMENT WALL, NO INJURIES WERE REPORTED, DAMAGE IS
UNKNOWN, TALLAHASSEE, FL

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 0
# Crew: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: NOT REPORTED

OTHER DATA
Activity: Business Phase: Taxi Operation: Air Carrier

Departed: Dep Date: Dep. Time:
Destination: Flt Plan: Wx Briefing:
Last Radio Cont:
Last Clearance:

FAA FSDO: ORLANDO, FL (SO15) Entry date: 05/31/2005

ERJ-140 said:
Coming from a guy who can't spot a Level 4 with an EMB radar? Please. A CE-414 driver could do that!

The point of the post wasn't so much pulling shadows out as tilt angle and knowing where your radar is really pointed. EMB radars require much more work from the pilot's end than the 737, Falcon, etc.. The radar dish is quite a bit smaller than those and thus you have to work around that limitation some.

Read it again. Next time you just might spot that Level 4.

(Hint: Aircraft experience does not equate to a type rating. I don't have a type in the Falcon. Never claimed to. Hint. Hint.)

ERJ-140,

To say you are an idiot would be an insult to average idiots everywhere. You are showing you ignorance and stupidity here in a big way.

You dont even know what a radar shadow is. You dont have a clue. But just to clear things up why dont you give us a definition of a radar shadow is?

Furthermore, as I have stated many many times Embraer and Honeywell both admitted to EMB-135/145 operators that there were major problems with the EMB's radar. Since I was flying the WSCoD back in 1998 when you were probably still trying to solo I think I have just a little more info and experience working with the EMB's inferior radar. If they have fixed it since then fine. I could care less since I will never fly one of those POS's ever again.

As for you not being typed in the Falcon, fine. But you have admitted here that you are typed in the B-737. Why dont you answer some questions as to that?

Or are you going to dodge the questions for another few weeks.

Here is you homework assignment:

Definition of radar shadows. (I am still interested in finding out how you "pull" radar shadows out of precip)
Basic B-737 info. You are typed in it. You admitted it here.

Now go back to your POS Legacy and ask your Captain to help you out. I am sure you will need all the help you can get.

Guys, I'm sitting just off the end of the runway in SDL. You want I should go over to Swift and start cracking heads 'till I find $h!tcan Man and get the straight scoop? ;) TC

We demonstrated a legacy, I was impressed until I wanted to fly a coupled vnav gps approach and found out it couldn't do it, or any vnav coupled. Please explain this to me?

pilotviolin said:
We demonstrated a legacy, I was impressed until I wanted to fly a coupled vnav gps approach and found out it couldn't do it, or any vnav coupled. Please explain this to me?

$$$$$$$$$$$$

Coming from a guy who can't spot a Level 4 with an EMB radar? Please. A CE-414 driver could do that!

As for bagging on Dangerkitty for his "lack of knowledge" of the radar, I hope you're just kidding. Dude, I've talked to you a few times (both on the phone and on the PMs) and you seemed okay. But, I've known DK for a looong time. He is most definately NOT an idiot. He's one of the best guys to both fly with and to party with. So lighten up. Your personal attacks are getting old, quick. Face reality, the EMB radar is a piece of $hit. We've all flown plenty of them that work great, and then swap planes and get ones that wouldn't paint a line of level 5's right in front of us. If you don't believe that, then you haven't flown very many of these things. You can be the best radar guy in the world and some of these things just don't paint. That's just how it is...

As for my "old numbers" you still didn't answer me. Where did you get your numbers? Did EMB put out new data? If so, when? Mine was current up through (and beyond) 730. Anyways, if the numbers really did change, I'm really surprised... But, it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong, and it sure won't be the last.

And I can't believe that no one has addressed the pay issues. G-pilots make more...

Last edited:
Bad-Andy said:
As for bagging on Dangerkitty for his "lack of knowledge" of the radar, I hope you're just kidding.

I am not bagging on DK. He's the one who claimed he couldn't spot a Level 4, not me. He bagged himself. (For the record I have *NO* personal beef with DK and I am sorry it has gotten testy between us.)

Bad-Andy said:
Dude, I've talked to you a few times (both on the phone and on the PMs) and you seemed okay.

Shhhhhhh. Don't tell anyone. :)

Bad-Andy said:
Face reality, the EMB radar is a piece of $hit.

It's not. You have to know how to use it. The 737 radar dish is about three times the diameter of the EMB dish (roughly 36" vs 12" = 1017 sq/in vs 113 sq/in). Nobody can tell me that you can operate these radars the same way and get the same (correct/useful) results.

Bad-Andy said:
We've all flown plenty of them that work great, and then swap planes and get ones that wouldn't paint a line of level 5's right in front of us.

Well if they work great then they don't suck. It sounds to me like your radome wasn't maintained properly or you have a gap in your knowledge regarding how to use it. I do know that some carriers do not take good care of their radomes (burn through, holes, etc.) and on a low-powered radar like the EMB's you will get a lot of attenuation right there.

Operator error is also an issue. This radar cannot be used the same way as a larger one. It has lower power, a smaller dish, potentially poorly maintained radar equipment (how much mx do you really think an ERJ radar gets?) and a radome that could be better even when it is not "damaged" (i.e. larger would be better).

Bad-Andy said:
As for my "old numbers" you still didn't answer me. Where did you get your numbers? Did EMB put out new data? If so, when? Mine was current up through (and beyond) 730.

How am I to answer that question unless I know what data and source I am comparing it to? If you could please tell me your SOURCE and DATE OF ISSUE we'll be able to see who has the more current info.

As for what a shadow is... It's when the radar signal attenuates (i.e. is deflected or absorbed to the point that it does not paint anything beyond that point).

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back