Legacy Bashfest - Bring it on!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ERJ-140 said:
I may be using the wrong terminology but the effect is the same. You can manipulate the gain to create a "shadow", i.e. distinguish heavier precip from what is around it (rain, noise, whatever you wish to call it).

No no no no no. A radar shadow is an area behind heavy precip that the radar can not penetrate. It is nothing more, nothing less. It is statements like the above that make me believe that you are no pilot at all just a bored internet troll. Or an Embraer salesman trying to defend a substandard product.

ERJ-140 said:
Agreed. But in this electronic age, software plays a large role in what the radar will tell you. Also the Legacy has an 880 which is at least a modest improvement over the 660. 99% of the ERJ fleet has the 660.

If they fixed it then fine. However installing new software would indeed indicate that they were having problems with the original radars. Wouldn't that?

ERJ-140 said:
Heh! Well the manuals are better now than they were, but again I agree they were pretty lame at one point.

Yes, they sucked

ERJ-140 said:
I could photo copy my license for you, too, but I won't. It doesn't matter. I am not going to reveal every single detail of my life to people I don't know. How I got it, where I got it, and who I work for are not relevant. I am here as an individual pilot, not as an employee or representative of my employer.

Please stop prying. It's not relevant. I am here merely to discuss this airplane, nothing more.

I am only asking where you got your B-737 type rating. I know where I got mine. I state this because like I said before I really dont think you are a pilot at all. I am asking a very simple question. It shouldn't be that hard.

By the way how did your interview go from all the PM's you received defending you and bashing us? Did you get the job?

Dangerkitty said:
No no no no no. A radar shadow is an area behind heavy precip that the radar can not penetrate. It is nothing more, nothing less. It is statements like the above that make me believe that you are no pilot at all just a bored internet troll. Or an Embraer salesman trying to defend a substandard product.

You can paint ground clutter all around and even through some cells. By reducing the gain you can make the cell stand out. The ground clutter will still show (though not as "brightly") but the clutter behind the cell will disappear. You tell me what it is if it isn't a "shadow effect". Tell me what the right term is and I'll use it.

Obviously heavier precip is more likely to produce a shadow, but you can still "pull stuff out" of lighter precip or clutter around it even if it isn't heavy rainfall.

Dangerkitty said:
If they fixed it then fine. However installing new software would indeed indicate that they were having problems with the original radars. Wouldn't that?

Yes, and I completely agreeed with you that the radar has had issues. But what I am trying to get across to everyone is that many of the well-known issues that the EMB had have been addressed. They aren't going to leave known issues unresolved, there is too much liability involved at the very least, not to mention the detrimental effect that would have on sales.

I would agree in the past tense. But I do not think they are nearly as bad now, and as stated before, the Legacy and ERJ radar sets are different.

Dangerkitty said:
Yes, they sucked

The manuals were translated from Portuguese to Spanish to English. Originally they made very little sense. They are on Revision 7 now. Much improved since 2000.

Dangerkitty said:
I am only asking where you got your B-737 type rating. I know where I got mine. I state this because like I said before I really dont think you are a pilot at all. I am asking a very simple question. It shouldn't be that hard.

And when you get the answer I will either be accused of looking it up on the Internet or going to a school that would "pass any moron with money" and I don't feel like denigrating those folks and costing them business (face it, there will be some sort of aspersions cast regardless my answer, so best to keep quiet and leave it at that). My type in a 737 is irrelevant. We're discussing ERJs and Legacys.

I will say that it was a -300 sim and was about 25-30 hours of sim time. I simply cannot say any more. It was an excellent course.

And yes, people do get multiple types and then never fly the planes. Several of our pilots fly one airplane exclusively but are still sent to recurrent on the others. I don't pay the bills. I don't ask questions. I just fly what I am told.

Last edited:
ERJ-140 said:
You can paint ground clutter all around and even through some cells. By reducing the gain you can make the cell stand out. The ground clutter will still show (though not as "brightly") but the clutter behind the cell will disappear. You tell me what it is if it isn't a "shadow effect". Tell me what the right term is and I'll use it.

Obviously heavier precip is more likely to produce a shadow, but you can still "pull stuff out" of lighter precip or clutter around it even if it isn't heavy rainfall.

Ok, very deep breath. Count to ten 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10. OK, I think I am ready now.

ERJ-140,

I just talked to 2 buddies of mine and asked them what a radar shadow was. They both nailed it. You on the other hand are talking about a bunch of BS when it comes to the definition.

Let me state this point for about the 5th-6th time now.

Ground Clutter has nothing to do with a radar shadow.

Gain has nothing to do with a radar shadow.

I have for some time not been mentioning the fact that the Honeywell Radar has a feature where a line forms at the end of the radar IF the attenuation of the radar is such that the radar can't determine what is on the other side of a cell. This will without a shadow of a doubt indicate a radar shadow.

With all your experience with the Legacy radar (I am stating this sarcastically of course) I thought you would have brought this up. But since you haven't I can only be led to believe that you are a fraud and have no clue what you are talking about.

You have no idea what a radar shadow is and have no clue how to identify one yet your mighty WSCoD is suppose to do it for you. Then why are you coming up with all this BS and admitting that the WSCoD is so great and not even mentioning this feature that Honeywell has installed? Could it be that you have no clue about the radar or the plane itself?

For your information I will type out what a radar shadow is since you are not able to grasp the subject. From my last radar course:

There are instances where extremely heavy rainfall can attenuate the transmitted pulse of any radar to useless levels in the order of a couple of miles. This attenuation could be so great that the pilot could interpret the return as indicating no rainfall ahead when, in fact, the aircraft may be entering an area of serious and destructive thundertstorm activity. These areas of "no returns" or "radar shadows" are caused by the inability of the radar pulses to penetrate the storm. The reason the pulses cannot get through is that the line of storms contains extremely heavy rain, possilby large hail, and almost certainly severe turbulence.

There it is dumba$$. Now go ask your pilot friends what all that means because you seem to have no clue.

Oh and by the way why haven't you answered my questions about the job interview you stated to have received? Did you interview yet via the PM's you received where you called all of us idiots?

Once again ERJ-140 you have shown that you are nothing more than a moronic tool. You have no clue of what you speak. Go solo a C-152 and then maybe we can talk. Until then I will have no respect for you and your useless ramblings.

You have no clue and you know it.

Dangerkitty said:
I have for some time not been mentioning the fact that the Honeywell Radar has a feature where a line forms at the end of the radar IF the attenuation of the radar is such that the radar can't determine what is on the other side of a cell. This will without a shadow of a doubt indicate a radar shadow.

There are instances where extremely heavy rainfall can attenuate the transmitted pulse of any radar to useless levels in the order of a couple of miles. This attenuation could be so great that the pilot could interpret the return as indicating no rainfall ahead when, in fact, the aircraft may be entering an area of serious and destructive thundertstorm activity. These areas of "no returns" or "radar shadows" are caused by the inability of the radar pulses to penetrate the storm. The reason the pulses cannot get through is that the line of storms contains extremely heavy rain, possilby large hail, and almost certainly severe turbulence.

There it is dumba$$. Now go ask your pilot friends what all that means because you seem to have no clue.

Whatever dude. I know exactly what a shadow is. And I am telling you that you have NO IDEA HOW THE EMB RADAR WORKS. PERIOD. If you have an area of ground clutter or rainfall that extends beyond your "shadow" area then you know you are painting a cell. You can manipulate what the radar shows you by adjusting gain. YOU CAN PAINT "NOISE" WITH THE ANTENNA POINTED UP 15 DEGREES BY MANUALLY PUTTING THE GAIN TO MAX! THERE IS NO REQUIREMENT FOR PRECIP FOR THE RADAR TO SHOW NOISE. YOU CAN TELL A RETURN IS REALLY RAIN BY FORCING IT TO ATTENUATE AT A LOWER POWER SETTING THROUGH THE GAIN. I WILL QUOTE THE AOM FOR YOU AGAIN SINCE YOU COULDN'T READ IT THE FIRST TIME:

"NAVIGATION AND
COMMUNICATION
AIRPLANE
OPERATIONS
MANUAL
2-18-45
Page
Code
01 REVISION 6
ANTENNA STABILIZATION (STAB or STB)
The antenna is normally pitch and roll-stabilized by using attitude
information from the IRS. Momentarily pushing the STAB (or STB)
button disables antenna stabilization and an amber “STAB”
annunciation label is presented on the PFDs’ and MFDs’ radar mode
field.
RECEIVER GAIN (GAIN)
The GAIN knob is a rotary control and push/pull switch that controls
radar receiver gain. Two gain modes are available: calibrated or
variable.
Calibrated: When the GAIN knob is pushed in, receiver gain is preset
and calibrated, which is the normal mode of operation. In calibrated
gain, the rotary function of the GAIN knob is disabled.
Variable (VAR): When the GAIN knob is pulled out, the system enters
the variable gain mode. Variable gain is used for additional weather
analysis and for ground mapping. In the WX mode, variable gain can
increase receiver sensitivity over the calibrated level to show very weak
targets or can be reduced below the calibrated level to eliminate weak
returns. In the GMAP mode, variable gain is used to reduce the level of
strong returns from ground targets."

CALL IT A SHADOW. CALL IT A RETURN. CALL IT A DEADSPOT. CALL IT WHATEVER THE HELL YOU WANT. THIS IS WHAT PEOPLE REFER TO WHEN THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT PULLING A SHADOW OUT OF A RETURN. THIS IS HOW YOU DISTINGUISH PRECIP FROM CLUTTER!!!!!!!!!! If you are painting everywhere to 100 miles and in one spot only paint to 75 miles then you are probably seeing a cell. This is an X-band radar if I am right so it will attenuate fairly easily. The gain helps you interpret what it is telling you. Leaving it in AUTO will give you either all black, all green, a green egg for an area of heavy rain when you get close to it, or all green, red, yellow. The GAIN helps you determine what you are or are NOT seeing and helps you do so at greater range than leaving everything in AUTO.

Geeeeeze.....amazing what a lunkhead you are acting like over phraseology. I have asked you to correct the terminology and all you do is call me names. I am really trying to explain this in intuitive terms and it just isn't sinking in. Well, I may be a fraud but I can spot weather with an EMB radar better than you can obviously.

If you can't keep a civil tone then please go discuss this topic with the voices in your head.

Last edited:
Hey guys, just passing through stateside briefly and am pleased to see that the well-deserved flogging of the mighty WSCoD and the latest version of it's chief (and only) cheerleader continues. Wow, 1,000 posts (way to go "D", you whore!), and STILL no good, factual answers forthcoming from him regarding.....well, anything.

Does the world need his kind of baseless, tiresome, unsupportable nattering and prattling-on about how great it is? Well, that's one of those Big Philosophical Questions I can't begin answer here, but nowadays they make Discovery Channel documentaries trying to convince us that packs of hyenas are quite "interesting", how wonderfully "cute" octopii are, and Great White sharks needn't be feared (you irrational silly people!) because they kill and eat fewer humans every year than, say... crocodiles....which in turn (we find out the very next evening) are supposedly nothing more than loveable, overgrown newts. Given this condition we're in, I suppose it's no suprise that likewise even a hunk-o-junk Sh1tmachine like the WSCoD will produce a rabid, yet schizophrenic, fan.

Well, carry-on men (and chicks), and keep up the righteous work of trying to smack the clueless into aviation reality. Let the flogging continue!.....

Yaaak

Last edited:
CatYaaak said:
Hey guys, just passing through stateside briefly and am pleased to see that the well-deserved flogging of the mighty WSCoD and the latest version of it's chief (and only) cheerleader continues. Wow, 1,000 posts (way to go "D", you whore!), and STILL no good, factual answers forthcoming from him regarding.....well, anything.

Plenty of factual information presented, irrefutable information actually. You either ignored it (like everyone else here) or it went over your head.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back