• Friendliest aviation community on the web
2003-No weekends No overnights
--$28,545.95
flight instructor for a university
2004-every weekend most overnights
--$21,233.21 including per diem!
finally got that airline dream job and a $725.00 monthly student loan repayment

HA HA

CNN can stick this in their top 10 money making careers!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why do we put up with it, I don't know.

Last edited:
45000 5year Capt at a soon to be closed regional excluding perdiem.Our wages should make the nightly news not that 20 year widebody Captain. I wonder if people would be so eager to get on airplanes nowing the pilot were making as little as we all do.

gearup5 said:
45000 5year Capt at a soon to be closed regional excluding perdiem.Our wages should make the nightly news not that 20 year widebody Captain. I wonder if people would be so eager to get on airplanes nowing the pilot were making as little as we all do.

I am sure they don't give a frog's fat a$$. But you know what? You better be dang perfect when you have to make that belly landing. That's why I can only handle saying "bye thanks" for like 1 minute and then I go back to the cockpit.

"AirTran . . . . Very Lazy 3rd yr FO . . . . . 556 hrs block . . . . $67K

Projection for 2006 . . . . . Very Lazy 4th yr CA . . . . . .$120K"

....Hey no fair, you cant post that here! Anything above 100 go to the other board!

Most of you guys must be including perdiem. Perdiem is not salary. If more of us realized this we might demand better compensation.

I took a pay cut going from the ATR $63/hr to the CRJ700 $70/hr. I am more junior and can not manipiulate my schedule as well. 'Can't say that I miss much more about the ATR though, 'xept the folks.

2003 W2 79,XXX 975 hours
2004 W2 64,XXX 5XX hours

I don't fly for Eagle BTW.

2004 TabExpress 4 month "Captain" -$45,000This is not including housing, books, lunch for my Co-captains, or for the really cool looking RJ stickers on my flight bag. Next year I'm hoping to return to the black after I get my new job with a major...........

I realize that "non-tax" Per diem doesn't go into line 1, 3 or 5 on your W-2 but it is still certainly "income" I made almost $4000 tax free in per diem last year and for me to clear $4000 I need to net almost $6000. No matter what field you work in, you have to eat. I don't spend any more $$ on eating just because I'm a pilot. I come out way ahead on my per diem and it's up to you how you want to spend for food on the road. Typical day ....... Brakfast = Free, Lunch = $1.99 protien bar + Banana I stole from the hotels free breakfast, Dinner = $10. Company pays me $36 a day and I don't come close to spending it. All other professions have to pay for eating and they don't get any per diem.

Latest resources

Back