Left previous 121 carrier, and would like to return

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flyguy2k8

Has anyone ever found themselves in a similar situation. I was employed by a particular 121 carrier for right at one year, and had to or rather chose to leave to take care of an ill family member. I believe my former carrier (along with some others) may be getting ready to ramp up hiring again, and I would like to attempt to return.

I was just curious if anyone else has ever re-interviewed with a carrier, and how it went. What was your process like, or was it pretty much a repeat of the initial interview? Thanks.

If you had a good reason (sounds like yours was) many carriers will hire you back without any drama. They already know you can complete training, and some managers have some human empathy.

However, if you had any problems documented problems while you were there, they will probably not take you back...they will take their chances with a clean new-hire.

I did the same after 4 years for basically the same reason. The company said they would very happily interview me again for rehire once things get going - I'm sure the same would be offered to you assuming your record is clean with them.

I must admit, I also think a lot about going back, then think about the economics of going back to first year pay and wipe it from my mind. I only hope that a ton of retirements, very low enrollment in flight schools, thousands of furloughed pilots who aren't interested in going back and the new post-buffalo accident regulations make Kit Darby's pilot shortage utopia a reality and pay rates come up a bit. Of course, those hopes are normally fueled by a healthy dose of the media and a few adult beverages.

Until Kit's somewhat unlikely outcome emerges, I'm staying the heck away from the regionals. We are professionals - we deserve professional wages. It's a shame really - I really enjoyed that job.

Thanks for the responses. Fortunately I never had any issues at any point in initial new hire. Im hoping theyll flip through my old file, realize I can successfully complete training, and let me back on!

I did the same after 4 years for basically the same reason. The company said they would very happily interview me again for rehire once things get going - I'm sure the same would be offered to you assuming your record is clean with them.

I must admit, I also think a lot about going back, then think about the economics of going back to first year pay and wipe it from my mind. I only hope that a ton of retirements, very low enrollment in flight schools, thousands of furloughed pilots who aren't interested in going back and the new post-buffalo accident regulations make Kit Darby's pilot shortage utopia a reality and pay rates come up a bit. Of course, those hopes are normally fueled by a healthy dose of the media and a few adult beverages.

Until Kit's somewhat unlikely outcome emerges, I'm staying the heck away from the regionals. We are professionals - we deserve professional wages. It's a shame really - I really enjoyed that job.

I don't understand why people don't get this. There will be a shortage of pilots in the relative near future. Enrollments at flight schools is extremely low. Retirements have only been delayed by age 65 retirement. Main lines are going to have to hire, and regionals are going to scramble for pilots.

It won't have an effect on pay, but there will be a shortage. It is going to put some small airlines out of business.

shortage?

There will not be a shortage. There will always be people willing to work for nothing. Look at the regionals.
That is right according to many that there will never be a pilot shortage, However hiring trends change and as per above, there will be a hiring boom starting mid to late 2011 and increasing through 2012. As an employer we certainly see experience shortages. In the spring of 2007 a new hire class at my place would average 500 hours, with some as low a 234. The class starting next month will average over 12,000 hours. Made up mostly of ex GM and Ford Corp flt, Airborne and an AirNet guy. Two year from now those numbers will drop as the experienced pilots find better jobs.

for what it's worth, I think you have your priorities right. even if these folks don't hire you, someone will. I can tell or suspect you are a man of character. People notice and respond to that. best of luck to you.

Did you try FMLA or just a plain old leave of absence? Seems that would have given you the option and kept your seniority.

I only hope that a ton of retirements, very low enrollment in flight schools, thousands of furloughed pilots who aren't interested in going back and the new post-buffalo accident regulations make Kit Darby's pilot shortage utopia a reality and pay rates come up a bit. Of course, those hopes are normally fueled by a healthy dose of the media and a few adult beverages.

For a while there it looked as if the new proposed regs might make a true difference in supply/demand and hence pay, what with the ATP and hence 1500 hour requirement and all... but if it is really being watered down to an ATP-lite i.e. 750 hours via college course credits as seems to be the case, then I don't see any real impact on FO pay, sadly.

Latest resources

Back