• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Left previous 121 carrier, and would like to return

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Agreed. I think anyone going into a flying career now, especially low time entry level guys need to set their career expectations at the regional level and think of a mainline job as a outside chance. The hiring wave of the late 90's will probably be the last such wave this profession sees at that level.

Don't forget to thank SWAPA for supporting it, and ALPA for endorsing it!

What is mainline?

This assumes there is much of a mainline left. The rate at which "regionals" have been growing and mainlines shrinking... I am not holding my breath. Lets hope I'm wrong.
What is mainline? Majors? Nationals? What defines defines a mainline job? Is it defiend by fleet size?, airplane gross weight?, pilotpay? number of employees? or average pounds of fuel burned per flight hour?

Last edited:
What is mainline? Majors? Nationals? What defines defines a mainline job? Is it defiend by fleet size?, airplane gross weight?, pilotpay? number of employees? or average pounds of fuel burned per flight hour?

I don't pretend to state this as a definitive answer, but in my opinion, when I think of "mainline" airline job... I think of the companies I aspired to work for as a young pilot in the early 90's.. American (where I am on recall rights status), Delta, United, Continental, and USAir.. Fedex and UPS as well. Not the LCC's or Regional's (what I used to call the commuters).

Just because the DOT says an airline is a "major" doesn't make it major in my book.. History, routes, and tradition plays a role in my view of what makes a "major'.

IMHO, $.02, etc..

no answer

I don't pretend to state this as a definitive answer, but in my opinion, when I think of "mainline" airline job... I think of the companies I aspired to work for as a young pilot in the early 90's.. American (where I am on recall rights status), Delta, United, Continental, and USAir.. Fedex and UPS as well. Not the LCC's or Regional's (what I used to call the commuters).

Just because the DOT says an airline is a "major" doesn't make it major in my book.. History, routes, and tradition plays a role in my view of what makes a "major'.

IMHO, $.02, etc..
To paraphrase, mainline = major only. Is that what you ment? Or did you mean the big 7 of 1995, AAL, DAL, UAL, USAir, TWA, NWA, and CAL?

Last edited:

Becuase you're as bright as a 10 watt light bulb, just for you:

Definition of a major airline!

Now not all of us blame their pitfalls on society. So I'll save you the 3 page PM like you do all the others and tell you to save your breath, you'll need it later for your inflatable date!

To paraphrase, mainline = major only. Is that what you ment? Or did you mean the big 7 of 1995, AAL, DAL, UAL, USAir, TWA, NWA, and CAL?

the latter..

Assuming that the economy continues a gradual recovery, I think it is absolutely true that we will see a pilot shortage at the regional level. I also expect this to translate into improved wages at the regional level. However that's a bit like being promoted from Assistant to the Regional Manager to Assistant Regional Manager at your local Wal-Mart. Before you see improved wages you will see the return of the guaranteed interview/ pilot pipeline at your local Humpty-Diddle type places. Especially if they can get a waiver of the 1500 hour ATP requirement.

Edit: sorry I realize this is thread drift. To the original poster, you should have no problem getting re-interviewed assuming they are hiring. Expect the obvious questions, have the proper answers.

hey!

Becuase you're as bright as a 10 watt light bulb, just for you:

Definition of a major airline!

Now not all of us blame their pitfalls on society. So I'll save you the 3 page PM like you do all the others and tell you to save your breath, you'll need it later for your inflatable date!
He said a mainline was not the definition of "Major", so I ask for a definition, and I get name calling, also since we are talking definitions, what is my "your inflatable date"

He said a mainline was not the definition of "Major", so I ask for a definition, and I get name calling, also since we are talking definitions, what is my "your inflatable date"

I'm sure you can figure that out!;)

Latest resources

Back