• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Left previous 121 carrier, and would like to return

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Did you try FMLA or just a plain old leave of absence? Seems that would have given you the option and kept your seniority.

FMLA is not an option until you complete one year of service, and without knowing his situation I bet he wasn't offered a leave of absence. If he had this happen in the late-07 time frame, I bet the airline was too understaffed to offer a LOA.

For a while there it looked as if the new proposed regs might make a true difference in supply/demand and hence pay, what with the ATP and hence 1500 hour requirement and all... but if it is really being watered down to an ATP-lite i.e. 750 hours via college course credits as seems to be the case, then I don't see any real impact on FO pay, sadly.

Sad indeed. Supply and demand seems to affect every industry and every product except aviation. Trust me when I say I hope we end up with a world class shortage of pilots and pay comes up to attract talent to the cockpit. Who knows...maybe it will. Until then I'll continue to say what I told the last guy who offered me a jet job with terrible pay - flying is a job, a job with lousy pay and little chance for advancement is a lousy job. That's just reality. Sometimes it seems aviation has its own standards as to what's acceptable. Until that changes, it will continue to be a sad career.

Last edited:
For a while there it looked as if the new proposed regs might make a true difference in supply/demand and hence pay, what with the ATP and hence 1500 hour requirement and all... but if it is really being watered down to an ATP-lite i.e. 750 hours via college course credits as seems to be the case, then I don't see any real impact on FO pay, sadly.

It is really sad to see so many pilots navigating through life depending on make believe pilot shortages and governmental regulations controlling the number of hours a pilot has in-order to get a job. News flash, no governmental regulation can make a company pay you what you are worth! You need to have options such as management in case it doesn't work out. Management at many companies which includes the airlines are prepared to take their act on the road if it doesn't work out at their present place of employment. They will run a company into the ground, and go get another job with snap of their fingers while poor pilot is worried about some governmental regulation turning the tide for them. I will give you some ice water while you wait for the government to freeze h@ll for you. Good luck! you gone to need it.

There will not be a shortage. There will always be people willing to work for nothing. Look at the regionals.

The problem is that there aren't enough people training out there qualified to work for nothing. Once we go through the furloughed people, and we have to hire from flight schools again, there will be a shortage. There just aren't enough people joining the industry.

You can argue about whether pay will go up or not, but a shortage is coming. It is just a mathematics issue. We were "rescued" by the economy and age 65 in 2007. Otherwise, we would be really hurting for pilots right now.

(Rescued from more shortages...nothing else, unfortunately.)

I don't understand why people don't get this. There will be a shortage of pilots in the relative near future. Enrollments at flight schools is extremely low. Retirements have only been delayed by age 65 retirement. Main lines are going to have to hire, and regionals are going to scramble for pilots.

It won't have an effect on pay, but there will be a shortage. It is going to put some small airlines out of business.

even with raising the mins to fly 121 to an ATP, and improved rest rules as well as the dawn of age 65, there will never be a shortage of pilots. Just a shortage of ones willing to work for $15-25K with little or not prospects of much higher earnings down the line.

But I'm hopeful that I'm wrong.

Just a shortage of ones willing to work for $15-25K with little or not prospects of much higher earnings down the line.

But I'm hopeful that I'm wrong.

As well as the "shortage", or more accurately termed bottleneck that existed pre 9/11 at most legacies.

The ability to pump enough new hires through the school house and get them online.

As well as the "shortage", or more accurately termed bottleneck that existed pre 9/11 at most legacies.

The ability to pump enough new hires through the school house and get them online.

This assumes there is much of a mainline left. The rate at which "regionals" have been growing and mainlines shrinking... I am not holding my breath. Lets hope I'm wrong.

Did you try FMLA or just a plain old leave of absence? Seems that would have given you the option and kept your seniority.

Yeah, unfortunately like someone else said I didnt have a full year in yet, and FMLA or any other type of LOA wasnt available to me. The CPO was very understanding but I had few options. In any event i'm definitely ready to get back into the airline world. Theres nothing worse than having airplanes come over your head, and wanting to be back in one. Ive been doing some GA stuff to stay "current" but it doesnt fill the void!

This assumes there is much of a mainline left. The rate at which "regionals" have been growing and mainlines shrinking... I am not holding my breath. Lets hope I'm wrong.

Good point, let me rephrase it.

The "shortage" will be the bottle neck at the regional carriers trying to get enough guys that are willing to make a career at a regional through training.

In all honesty, I think there will be some very limited hiring at the mainline level when the retirements and age 65 catch up. But it will be such a trickle and won't come anywhere near previous hiring cycles.

In all honesty, I think there will be some very limited hiring at the mainline level when the retirements and age 65 catch up. But it will be such a trickle and won't come anywhere near previous hiring cycles.

Agreed. I think anyone going into a flying career now, especially low time entry level guys need to set their career expectations at the regional level and think of a mainline job as a outside chance. The hiring wave of the late 90's will probably be the last such wave this profession sees at that level.

Latest resources

Back