Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rattler

Hey guys,

I have been presented with a unique situation. A long time friend of mine is trying to recruit me to a charter operation he is running. He has offered me left seat in a G5 starting at $130K(I have no experience with this type of equiptment). I will be traveling to "visit" this operation and to try and get a feel of whether this is a good move or not. The oportunity requires me to move far from where I live now, away from family and I will be taking a girlfriend and 2 year old with me.

Currently I make $90K as a CA on the ERJ with weekends and hollidays off. I usually have 13-15 days off a month, and enjoy a pretty good "quality of life". I am activally trying to move on to a major, and I have excepted the fact that I will take a huge pay cut. I know I will miss the benefits of being an airline pilot. (Example: My girlfriend and I are going to Germany in April free of charge.{vacation passes}) an other example I jumpseat to visit family on a regualar basis.

I know there are alot of charter guys out there that make great livings and enjoy a wonderful quality of life. I am interested in hearing their opinions. If I go to a major, I am optimistic I will be presented an oportunity within a year. I am 32, so I have lots of time left.

The important things to me are 1)being home for my family 2) making money 3) stability.

Thanks.

Hey guys,

I have been presented with a unique situation. A long time friend of mine is trying to recruit me to a charter operation he is running. He has offered me left seat in a G5 starting at $130K(I have no experience with this type of equiptment). I will be traveling to "visit" this operation and to try and get a feel of whether this is a good move or not. The oportunity requires me to move far from where I live now, away from family and I will be taking a girlfriend and 2 year old with me.

Currently I make $90K as a CA on the ERJ with weekends and hollidays off. I usually have 13-15 days off a month, and enjoy a pretty good "quality of life". I am activally trying to move on to a major, and I have excepted the fact that I will take a huge pay cut. I know I will miss the benefits of being an airline pilot. (Example: My girlfriend and I are going to Germany in April free of charge.{vacation passes}) an other example I jumpseat to visit family on a regualar basis.

I know there are alot of charter guys out there that make great livings and enjoy a wonderful quality of life. I am interested in hearing their opinions. If I go to a major, I am optimistic I will be presented an oportunity within a year. I am 32, so I have lots of time left.

The important things to me are 1)being home for my family 2) making money 3) stability.

Thanks.

As sweet as the deal sounds, it seems like you already know what you want. It seems like you have your heart set, and are happy at your regional. My advice. I would go where the money is, and a G5 is a great type to have, you can always do contract as well. But it all depends, how much are you going to fly? How many pilots are they going to have for the G5? How many days can you expect to be on the road? What kind of benefits are they going to offer you? It sounds like a good deal, but just make sure that you get everything they offer you. Good luck.

If I were presented with such a choice, I would be considering where you are moving to & cost of living there vs your pay raise. Would your and your family be happy living in that part of the US ?

Sounds like you have a pretty good QOL now, IMO. When you say your friend is "running" the charter op, does that mean he owns it ? If he's going to be a building block of your security, you need to know how secure his position is.

I know you're aware of the bigger jet = longer trips away relationship. I wonder what a "typical" trip (if there is such a thing) is on a G-V ?

You have a really interesting decision to ponder ! Good luck ! (in a few years, I suspect your priorities #2 and #3 will trade places, too...)

Sounds like a great opportunity! Like the last post said...make sure its stable. QOL can be very very good with a charter. Im flying a King Air 200 with a 135 outfit in Mobile, AL and im usually looking at 10-15 days off a month plus im home every night. Rarely do we have an overnight. But....i never know my schedule...I worked Thanksgiving day, Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day straight thru til Jan. 2nd. It has its ups and downs just like any other flying job. Good luck! BTW Ill take the job if u dont want it!!!

As previously mentioned, you at minimum will be facing a large QOL change. GVs don't do too many out and backs.

I am hoping to get all of these questions answered when I go in to see the operation next month. My friend is a partial owner in this company which has a small fleet of jet aircraft, including G5s. The move would be from a moderatly high cost of living area to a higher cost of living area.

remember is cheaper up by Lake Castaic

If quality of life is your number one factor, RUN away from it. A charter operation in a GV is the relationship kiss of death. As the other guy said, there are few if not NO out and backs. Im flying a charter GIV and Im gone 18 days straight, then 10 off. this means that your gone for 18 days, the first 3 days you are home you are re-getting used to the time zone and being home, then you have 4 days off, then 3 days of getting your head and wife ready for you to go again. 90 a year isnt that bad, and if you have holidays and weekends, that and being home more often means alot more than that extra 40k.

-another former Rattler

The GV position at 130k to start sounds like a fantastic oportunity, and you will likely be making well over 150k in no time. However you said your priorities are;

Quote, "The important things to me are 1)being home for my family 2) making money 3) stability"

Well, working charter on a GV means you will be away from home more and as for a schedule, well, forget it. Exactly how much you are away and how erratic your schedule depends on the operation you are working for.

Where I work we have no schedule, but I average 18 days a month with a mix of day trips and longer 5-7 day trips, typically averaging around 10 or 11 overnights a month. I'm usually able to arrange my FAR rest days and vacation times to cover most family occasions, but the bottom line is you (and your spouse) have to be flexible in order to make it work. This line of work is not for everybody. If you are happy at the airlines I recomend staying where you are.

I agree with the above post. Based on your priorities, you need to stay put. While I would certainly recommend that you 'check out' the new job potential with a visit, it sounds to me that it would not fit your lifestyle. Charter is so much different from airline work that it is like moving from Florida to Alaska. Is 40K difference worth not having a skd, holidays, and weekends off? That is ultimatley your question.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back