Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Leaving a regional before reaching 1000 PIC?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
excuse me?

I was having a conversation the other day with some friends and we were discussing this very topic. Figured I'd throw it out for further discussion.

With pretty much all the majors hiring now, is 1000 PIC that important anymore? I mean, the goal of getting that time was to get the better job, and if you could get the better job without all that time, do you need it? This assuming you are competitive for the job, etc.

Of course, if you don't have it and you're furloughed you're screwed, but you're probably also screwed if you have it too.

There's been a lot of movement at my airline recently, and it seems the guys I was talking to before they upgraded said they wanted 1000 PIC, and then after they upgraded they wanted out ASAP. Just seeing what everybody else thought...

lets look at this last paragraph.....they wanted a 1000 PIC before they upgraded......do you know that when you are not a captain, you cannot log PIC even if you are operating the controls.........I know someone who did that at a 135 operation and on her resume has a lot of PIC even though she has never been a captain. Buddy, its after you upgrade is when you log your PIC, it could take up to two years, depending on your airline schedule. Do not be that tool and log pic when you are operating the controls. I hope those that are doing that are caught when they apply at the majors....I hope the majors are looking into things like that.

I think that what he is saying is when talking with FOs, they all want to stay and get their 1000TPIC, but as soon as they upgrade, they get excited and want to move on without it... Nothing about logging PIC from the right seat. At least thats how I read it.

What about leaving w/o TPIC to fly SIC at an ACMI like Gemini, Kalitta, Evergreen, Omni, World and the like, building international heavy time? Several of these places type you in the right seat, too.

I would figure the international heavy experience would be some valuable time.

before they upgraded said they wanted 1000 PIC,

how do you get a thousand PIC before you upgrade? the way I read it, they are logging PIC before they upgrade....how is that?

the next line....

, and then after they upgraded they wanted out ASAP.

(then after logging 1000 PIC and then upgrading, leaving) now the way I see it, with the example I gave earlier, that some think that you can log PIC when being the sole manipulator of the controls.....which is an old way of thinking about things. But the practice continues.

just my two cents....

and I will say again, I hope the majors take a look at people with these numbers......"How again did you get so many PIC hours when you were only a captain at a regional for three months?"

xjhawk,

Not hard pal.

He said that he was talking to folks that wanted 1000TPIC before they upgraded (meaning before they upgraded they were in the mindset that they wanted 1000TPIC before they would leave. This means that they would stay for 1000 hours in the left seat.). Now that they have upgraded, they want to leave right away.

You are getting all in a tif over nothing. No one is logging PIC in the right seat.

I left my regional job without 1000 TPIC, got furloughed, and left a second regional job without it. I sure wish I had it but at the same time when a better job came-a-knocking I bolted. So my advice: try for the 1000+ TPIC but if in the meanwhile a much better job comes up and you want it, take it.

PAY ATTENTION!!!!

DON'T LEAVE WITHOUT TURBINE PIC TIME AND A HEALTHY DOSE OF IT.

Example: You get your dream job at a major with LITTLE or NO PIC time (jet or prop doesn't matter btw...don't wanna hear it from our SJS afflicted newbs) ...
you get furloughed and you want another job. All you'll be able to get is right seat for $20/hr. in an RJ regardless of your total time. It's happened to a ton of furloughed pilots with over 10000 hrs TT.....learn from their mistakes!

DON'T GET CAUGHT WITH YOUR PANTS DOWN....Do the right thing and be patient...getting the time and exprience is not a guarantee of anything, but it sure will help down the road if you do happen to have an unfortunate bump in the road career-wise.
That being said, good luck to all...it's gonna be a weird ride.

1000 PIC doesn't mean anything in corporate. These scam auding companies require 1500 TPIC to play the game corporate.

If you want real security from furloughs 'n such...get a 2nd skill outside of aviation.

AZT

Logging PIC Time in the Right Seat

If you already have an ATP and are qualified in the aircraft at an Part 121 operation as a SIC, an ATP may log time which he manipulates the controls as PIC for logging purposes.

Now, how the majors look at that time is another story, but it would count towards insurance requirements in the corporate world.

I think that what he is saying is when talking with FOs, they all want to stay and get their 1000TPIC, but as soon as they upgrade, they get excited and want to move on without it... Nothing about logging PIC from the right seat. At least thats how I read it.

Concur. That's how I interpreted it.

I've seen the same mindset. No one is logging PIC before upgrade, they are just of the mindset that they intend to log 1000 once they upgrade, but then once they do upgrade, the 1000 seems less important than a good opportunity that comes along. Tough call.

If you already have an ATP and are qualified in the aircraft at an Part 121 operation as a SIC, an ATP may log time which he manipulates the controls as PIC for logging purposes.

You cannot log PIC unless you have a full type rating in the aircraft you are sole manipulating, regardless of having an ATP or not.

Latest resources

Back