Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Leaving a regional before reaching 1000 PIC?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You cannot log PIC unless you have a full type rating in the aircraft you are sole manipulating, regardless of having an ATP or not.

This is my understanding, as well. That being said, could somebody please post a reg that clarifies this?

You cannot log PIC unless you have a full type rating in the aircraft you are sole manipulating, regardless of having an ATP or not.

Even with a full Type rating you cannot log PIC until you are fully qualified on the line. If you are on your OE (OJT) you are not qualified on the line as a captain yet (although you have the type and an ATPL) therefore this time is to be loged as Dual Received.

Funny I left before I upgraded at my regional, yet I had no trouble finding a new better flying job. This magic "1000" PIC turbine is merely an HR prescreen for unqualified candidates, not to say if you have less than 1000 PIC you are unqualified. You just may be in the eyes of non-pilots or computers that do the screening. It's different at every airline but that is basically what I have been told by many senior pilots at many airlines, that conduct interviews. I have a friend that left his regional early and went overseas for a while and came back and got hired by major without any PIC within a month. His international heavy time and his NAT, Class II Navigation experience and knowledge got him hired not the TPIC. It's all about who you know not necessarily what you know right away. Just get that resume on the CP or whoever is in charge of hiring desk that is a pilot not HR.

The question is what's so magical about 1000? Are you a better pilot at 1000 PIC than you were at 999 PIC? I'd conjecture that you're just as good at 1000 PIC as you were at 500 PIC. Why do so many airlines want 1000 PIC? I say if you upgraded and flew your 100 hours in type, it counts (and yes I have well over 1000 PIC).

Well, how about looking at the issue not in terms of flight time, but rather how long it takes the average person to get 1000 hours in 121. Superman/woman would hit 1000 exactly one year after upgrading.

So I guess that listing a requirement of 1k tpic is tantamount to saying: at least one year in the left seat before you apply, please.

To me this makes quite a bit of sense. In other industries your resume wouldn't show any position you've held for less than a year, if you wanted to be taken seriously... Any thoughts?

I think there has always been a youthful disregard for paying your dues. Experience seems irrelevant when you don't have any experience.

But that does not mean that all of us do not believe in paying dues, and working 110% for a "future" gain. To make it worthwhile, at 26, I recognize the sacrifice all of us (for the most part) have made. The demands respect and definitely warrants a heaping spoon of keep your mouth shut. At the age of 26, I understand that the majority of people my age, and younger, feel entitled to fly jets straight out of school, but that 200 hour wonder will eventually bite them. Karma has a funny way of providing that. I do not own and Ipod, but I do not wear a hat, and my hair definitely screams frat boy. That does not mean I believe that I do not need to pay my dues, and further more (and more imporantly), does not mean I do not respect the people like yourself who have continuously fought to get to where you are.

Latest resources

Back