Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Leaving a regional before reaching 1000 PIC?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It is amazing where this career is headed with the generation Xrs leading the way. 1000 jet PIC is considered ALL that time?

Experience is overated, Jezzz!

Way to take something I wrote totally out of context! Plus I wasn't even talking about myself, but whatever, it doesn't matter to you.

Personally, I've been stalled at Mesaba for years just longing for the left seat. Now that I have it, I would REALLY have to think about leaving before the 1000 PICT is accumulated. It's really a personal insurance policy for the future. However, if my major of choice offered me a job tomorrow, I think I'd be a fool to not take that opportunity. I guess I'm hoping my major offers me a job when the my Saab Hobbs meter reads 1001.

MM

It is certainly tempting for me to start to throw the apps in with all the airlines hiring again. I'm at about 425 TPIC and I'm going to wait it out and get the 1000. Maybe start to apply with 850-900.

However, if I was in the right seat and looking at more than a year to upgrade, I'd be applying and I'd leave without a doubt.

Seems to me its just a matter of where you stand right now. I feel that I'm too close to leave without it.

On one hand I can see the benefits of getting out before 1000 PIC. It's sort of like the whole college degree question; you might need it, you might not. And I'm one to think that having 1000 PIC couldn't hurt you. Especially considering that, for example, you would probably be going from a relatively high payscale at a regional and a good schedule to a paycut and a reserve schedule at a major. (I personally don't really think it would really be worth it, but that's just me.)

On the other hand, if my future schedule and QOL is anything like my current schedule and QOL, i.e. jr. lineholder in increasingly rare equipment, I'd do just about anything to get away from it, including leaving with less than 1000 PIC. NJA, for example doesn't have a PIC requirement (although they require the ATP rating, and I'm not sure how else I'd get it without upgrading.)

Anyway, just thoughts.

-Goose

I left my regional job without 1000 TPIC, got furloughed, and left a second regional job without it. I sure wish I had it but at the same time when a better job came-a-knocking I bolted. So my advice: try for the 1000+ TPIC but if in the meanwhile a much better job comes up and you want it, take it.

Pennekamp,

that's the point. you can go corporate in the left seat w/o having to start over in the right seat at a regional or corporate job. To me, it left my options open, even though I got my 1000 pic before going to a regional and now a legacy.

Good luck going to the left seat at a corporate gig without a type rating and time in that type, most likely won't happen unless you get lucky.

With a relatively stable company, one might be better off to take the job and forgo 1000 hours PIC.

That's exactly my thinking as well which is why I decided to come to NetJets without any turbine PIC. I just hope it doesn't bite me in the a$$ in the future.

I also left the regionals without very much tpic.. i spent 5 years stuck in the right seat.. as soon as I upgraded I was offered a job at NJ....and I jumped on the opportunity. The way I look at it is if I get furloughed again I am done with being a professional pilot. I have a family to provide for now!

Latest resources

Back