• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Leave SWA for Fed Ex

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The 18.19/14.7 numbers were days off, not work days.

In a 35 day month we have an average of 18.19 days off/16.81 work days
In a 28 day month we have an average of 14.70 days off/13.30 work days

I guess a more accurate way to figure it is:
4-35 day months @ 18.19 days off average is 72.76 days off
8-28 day months @ 14.70 days off average is 117.6 days off

72.76+117.6=190.36 days off per year.

190.36/12=15.9 days off each month.

Papa

I think I need another beer................

This thread is like dumpster diving.... for all the effort there is really very little value or gain....

Last edited:
You also hear seniority is everything at FedEx too. Lots and lots of FO's don't upgrade to Captain at the earliest opportunity because they don't want to lose their ability to bid the line they want.

At 128 bucks an hour (year 2 widebody FO pay on the new TA), I don't care about upgrading either.

Unless I knock up another FA. I wish I wasn't so afraid of getting snipped. But I just know the room will be very cold and I don't want the doc to think my dic k is always that small.

I WAS IN THE POOL!!

That may be partly true. We work on a 28 day month or a 35 day month, not 30 like SWA (I think).
In a 28 day month, max work is 15, with 13 off min.
For a 35 day month, max work is 19, with 16 off.

I just looked at Oct (35 days) and Sept (28 days).
For October, the average days off was 18.19.
For September, the average days off was 14.7.

So, it's about 16.48 days off average for a 31 day period.

My question is, with the SWA days off, is that an average of the bid line, or an actual average of what pilots are flying? It seems to me that talking to my SWA friends, they pick up a lot of JA (is that the right term?). It's good for them, good for the company, and pretty easy if they live in domicile. It all make the days off go down. I know at FedEx, they never call me on days off to draft me (maybe they will now that the summer of the family is over), and I never have to accept it. They can't jetbridge assign me (I think they can do that to you, right), and my days off are my days off. Not saying one is better than the other, but just want to compare apples to apples.

I have no idea on the numbers. I was WAGing it from a friend who works at FedEx. Some do the VJA thing but I never have. It's voluntary and the jetbridge ja, which isn't, has occurred on occasion.

My buddy at FedEx said you guys were looking down upon people picking up time because you were in contract talks. That's one thing that would never happen around here. It's definitely a work together situation. A great intangible that you can't find anywhere.

If anyone leaves SWA for FedEx I don't blame them. Job security is very important and is 99% assured at FedEx in the next 30 years. Plus, boat loads of money you cannot get at any other flying job. I put SWA at 60% assured job security. It's a mature company and as Gary Kelly has stated at a dinner a few months ago, "All companies go through 3 phases. Growth - Maturity - Decline (College Business 101 really). SWA is well into the maturity phase at it's current business plan." Obviously, he intends to change the plan but at what success will it have? We definitely aren't going to survive the next 30 years against competitors with similar yet better products. TVs, Internet, Satellite radio, More room, Assigned Seating, Cleaner Planes, etc... Additionally, attitudes around here are different than 10-15 years ago. I see more of a legacy airline in attitudes outside the TX border. It's unfortunate but it's not a company of 4000 employees anymore. All this adds up to much less job security than FedEx.

Really, what negative is there at FedEx? Night time flying. It's a big deal for many people. If they had 90% day flying I'd have my resume in there in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back