• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Leave SWA for AA or Delta?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My point? It's wrong for the profession. Most SWA pilots PAY for a type via Higher Power. Does SWA not want to pay APDs? Investing in Higher Power may serve you well.

Higher Power? Maybe back in the day, but for those like me who interviewed without the type why would I spend more than 5k? Which I deducted fully on my taxes and it was all paid for during my first month of employment. Since then the income stream has been pretty positive to say the least.

Tyrone,
Half these guys have been flying for the airlines for only a few years. That was ancient history to them. Cut 'em some slack. They don't know that today's AT was the result of a merger between VJ and another airline.

I never applied to VJ for the same reason I never applied to SWA or ComAir or NW Airlink or Gulfstream or COEX. Not gonna pay to play. Glad it worked out for you guys tho.

Actually, Cappy, I was flying at Southwest before Ty got to AirTran. I don't know exactly when you started, so I can't comment on that definitively. But if you never worked for AirTran when it was still called Valuejet, then you must be similar in longevity to me.

And I think most people in the industry know the history of your airline. You seem to have inadvertently glossed over your history a little bit. AirTran actually IS the same company formerly known as Valuejet. After serious maintenance issues, and two aircraft accidents (including VJ 592 crash in the Everglades), in 1997 Valuejet changed its tarnished name to AirTran, by purchasing outright a much smaller, but similarly-run below-budget airline and taking its name. That's the only reason your company isn't called Valuejet anymore. But it IS the same company.

To be fair, however, AirTran today is nothing like when it started out. After a fresh start with its new name, the company actually evolved into a quality airline, flying new planes, doing proper maintenance, and expanding nicely (not to mention doing away with its actual PFT bit!). Kudos for turning it around.

I don't think anyone here really cares how or why you got to AirTran. Like I said, I'm glad you were happy there. The times have changed, however, and the decision was above all our pay grades. Your boss sold you to our boss. Like I said, if you don't want to fly for Southwest, you have lots of choices now. Plus, your friend the General just promises that a career at Delta will be so much better! (Uh, you DO have a 4-year degree, right? That's part of the price for admission over there). Just think--if you play your cards right, someday you can be slinging his gear...

Can we stop the pissing contest now?

Bubba

Last edited:
Nicely stated Bubba.

The thing I really like about the General is this...the more he 'tries' to debate an issue, the more of an idiot he is uncovered to be. Day in and day out. Year after year.

But he typically can never stay on topic. Has to evolve into some other unrelated subject because he can't objectively debate the issue at hand. Like Delta's PFT for 4yrs of college.
When will you guys learn, GL is an FI shill to churn threads for profit. Look right>>>>>>>>>>> see the adds?

Once again, I feel that the type rating is a stupid requirement and has prevented lots of otherwise qualified pilots from working here....

It's almost as stupid as requiring a 4 year degree to be an airline pilot. It's simply not necessary to do this job.

)

I actually agree with both as competitive standards

I believe pilots ought to be educated. I believe there is value in pilots who've succeeded in the classroom. JMO and we've done that debate too much.

The type requirement also kept a lot of pilots away from SWA who were only here for the money and motivated pilots who really wanted to be here.
Herb wanted pilots who took ownership of the company. Treated the place like owners. Had some skin in the game.
As much as we lament turning into a legacy, - and management does have the leadership reigns on that- we have legions of our own pilots who act like legacy pilots. Think and expect like them.

I've never resented the type one bit- especially since first year pay made up for it easily. I've spent a lot of money on my education and training. I enjoyed the $5k type
I wouldn't have lost if I hadn't gotten the job-

When will you guys learn, GL is an FI shill to churn threads for profit. Look right>>>>>>>>>>> see the adds?

This is a response when someone knows I am correct and can't debate me anymore. Sorry, your PFT scheme is bad for the industry, and your merger, not allowing AT 737 Capts to stay in their seats, was pure bunk. You lose scoreboard, you can't come up with anything else to back up your ridiculous arguments against the obvious.

Btw, it appears you are looking for "bald, short, and fat women." (According to the ads you click on....). ;)

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
That's all you have? More opinion and emotion?

Great debating skills. My 5 year old nephew debates better than that.

You know you're talking to Scoreboard (the quote you set), when it was Bubba that cleaned your clock?

That's all you have? More opinion and emotion?

Great debating skills. My 5 year old nephew debates better than that.

You know you're talking to Scoreboard (the quote you set), when it was Bubba that cleaned your clock?

Say what? Scoreboard was stated. You guys can't debate your way out of a paper bag. You attack the poster, not the issues. Why? You can't fight THE OBVIOUS.... You then attack the RJ problem, without acknowledging the progress being made NOW. Any progress in your PFT or SLI bunk schemes? Nooooooope.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
Say what? Scoreboard was stated. You guys can't debate your way out of a paper bag. You attack the poster, not the issues. Why? You can't fight THE OBVIOUS.... You then attack the RJ problem, without acknowledging the progress being made NOW. Any progress in your PFT or SLI bunk schemes? Nooooooope.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Reading Comprehension 101.

Where in my post above did I mention your RJ problems? Duck and cover Gen!

We don't have PFT and the SLI is over. What's your point again?

There is no way that he/she/it is not a shill to get the page hits up.

Debate? Touting the same BS over and over again, in the face of and totally ignoring the facts is not debate.

More like mast-urbate.

Congrats Genital. You're the first person, ever, on any forum, on my ignore list....... You are arrogant, unreasonable, and put simply, have nothing of value to contribute to any debate. I tried. Enjoy your post whoring.

Last edited:
There is no way that he/she/it is not a shill to get the page hits up.

Debate? Touting the same BS over and over again, in the face of and totally ignoring the facts is not debate.

More like mast-urbate.

Congrats Genital. You're the first person, ever, on any forum, on my ignore list....... You are arrogant, unreasonable, and put simply, have nothing of value to contribute to any debate. I tried. Enjoy your post whoring.

I have him on the ignore list also. If everybody did that he woul go away because the only thing that keeps him/her alive is the response he gets. How many times can a person read the same thing and respond to it? It says a lot about the person that keeps responding to the idiot.

Latest resources

Back