• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Leave SWA for AA or Delta?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Seniority is NOTHING if you will never upgrade (people who desire a right seat career aside). I'd go to where I can realistically expect to one day see the left seat before I'm too old to enjoy it.

"Never upgrade"?

That's such a .... Naive comment.
Regional thinking
Ego thinking

I do love my right seat position. I'm sure captain slot will be good, but I make $160k in that right seat without trying - why would I be in a hurry to upgrade and go to the bottom of that list?

Granted I have other income sources, so the schedule is most important to me- but IMO, it should be to everyone.

I was a captain for 10 years combined- i have a LOT of respect for my FOs. A lot.
I don't get the constant talk about upgrade at the major airline level.

You building PIC time???

And -9
You're so bitter, you lost credibility a long time ago.

Can you tell us one positive thing about southwest? Is there one?

And -9
You're so bitter, you lost credibility a long time ago.

Yeah I'm bitter, nearly every capt on the AT side is bitter right now, and you'd be bitter too if our situations were reversed and SW & SWAPA broke it off in your ass.

Can you tell us one positive thing about southwest? Is there one?

Yes, they do an excellent job of brainwashing their employees.

I'm so happy that paying for a type rating has worked out well for you and your family and that the moral issues associated with doing so don't seem to bother you in the least. My employment decisions have paid off handsomely for me and provided rapid seniority advancement and the ability to enjoy a myriad of leisure activities outside of work...all without the shame of PTF.

"Moral issues"? "Shame"?

Please.

Referring to Southwest's type requirement as "PFT" is solely an FI insult used by people that have nothing else to bitch about at the moment (think General Lee). Obviously, there are legitimate things people can bitch about, but this isn't one of them.

"Pay-For-Training" is paying your company for the privilege of sitting in the right seat, building hours. That's PFT. Using the term for something else that it doesn't really apply to, because you're pissed, just cheapens the term. People who do that are the same dumbasses who refer to people who out-bid them for the trips they want as "scabs." Let me guess--you're also the kind of guy who would define SL-10 as the "second holocaust," because you didn't get what you want.

Meeting the minimums to be hired by a particular company is nothing like that. Southwest requires applicants have a type to be hired, even though it's not required by the FAA. Big freakin' deal. Most airlines require an ATP of their applicants, which also wasn't required by the FAA until very recently. You have to have had that on your own before you were hired, so what's the difference? Nothing. Nada. Jack squat. It's exactly the same. Most airlines require more hours than the FAA requires, and you have to get that on your own. Some, a lot more. A lot of airlines require a 4-year degree, also not required by the FAA. You gotta' get that on your own as well. See the point? Hiring minimums are hiring minimums. Every airline has stated minimums above and beyond what the FAA requires for the job. The only thing different about having a type requirement in a company's minimums, is that it's unique to Southwest.

And now you're pretending some sort of "moral" indignation? What a joke. You think you've got some sort of witty slam. In reality, when everyone else reads it, they think "another whiny, dumbass General Lee-wannabe." Or in your case, "a bitter, whiny, dumbass General Lee-wannabe." Good for you.

Bubba

Requiring applicants to obtain type specific training in the same equipment the airline operates is not the same as requiring a college degree or an ATP. Sorry, it just isn't.

Requiring applicants to obtain type specific training in the same equipment the airline operates is not the same as requiring a college degree or an ATP. Sorry, it just isn't.

DL didn't make the FNWA 757 guys do extra 757 training, nope. They did let everyone do some landings in a 767 though, which I'm sure cost a bunch. They would take the plane empty up to Duluth or Grand Rapids etc and everyone got a couple touch and goes. That was a good thing. I guess they trusted them to fly the same plane they already knew how to fly (757)....

Bye Bye---General Lee

DL didn't make the FNWA 757 guys do extra 757 training, nope. They did let everyone do some landings in a 767 though, which I'm sure cost a bunch. They would take the plane empty up to Duluth or Grand Rapids etc and everyone got a couple touch and goes. That was a good thing. I guess they trusted them to fly the same plane they already knew how to fly (757)....

Is there a point to your meaningless blather?

Is there a point to your meaningless blather?

Well Howie, the FNWA guys were treated with respect by the company, did the SLI fairly with 3 arbitrators, and overall have a better career and loyalty towards the company, who stayed out of the SLI process. Can you see the difference Howie between the DL/NW merger and yours? Of......course you can't....

Bye Bye----General Lee

Sorry, but yes it is. It's exactly the same. And more importantly, it's nothing like actual PFT.

It's what a particular company wants to see from its applicants, whether or not it's required by the FAA. It's what a particular company views as minimums in regards to competency, experience, and motivation for the job. It's why Delta requires the degree--it shows motivation level. It's why some companies require more hours than others. It's why some companies require and/or prefer specifically Part 121 hours, even though there's no difference to the FAA.

It's not to save the company money--it doesn't save them a dime. The type rating check ride is the same as the normal PC at the end of training--just one more piece of paper need be filled out. It's to make sure applicants are motivated to be here. Whether you (or me, or anyone else, for that matter) thinks it's an appropriate qualifier or not is immaterial. But in any case, it's not PFT.

Bubba

Latest resources

Back