• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Leave SWA for AA or Delta?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The truth is Southwest has interviewed thousands without the type rating. And plenty of been hired. So nobody had to buy anything for an interview. I know, because I'm one of many.

I like the General's feigned outrage for the AirTran pilots. Does anyone on this board believe he really gives a crap about them? He never did before.

That, along with LBB and MAF.... is just an anti-SW rant, has nothing to do with AirTran. Never has.

I struck a nerve I guess Red. I never disliked the AT guys, but I did have "spirited" debates with some early on, inducing Ty Webb. He and I would try to slam each other all the time. Then, we both calmed down, and before your merger we made peace and respect each other now (as much as you can do on an anonymous board).

Then came your merger, which many had high expectations, of a better life and mutual respect between both groups..... The Corndogs had two previous mergers to watch to get it right.....and, I think many believe they failed. Two groups flying the same plane at different rates? After the joint contract? Really? And NO AT Capts allowed directly onto the planes they brought to the merger? (737s in the transition) Huh??? What a great opportunity lost.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
I struck a nerve I guess Red. I never disliked the AT guys, but I did have "spirited" debates with some early on, inducing Ty Webb. He and I would try to slam each other all the time. Then, we both calmed down, and before your merger we made peace and respect each other now (as much as you can do on an anonymous board).

Then came your merger, which many had high expectations, of a better life and mutual respect between both groups..... The Corndogs had two previous mergers to watch to get it right.....and, I think many believe they failed. Two groups flying the same plane at different rates? After the joint contract? Really? And NO AT Capts allowed directly onto the planes they brought to the merger? (737s in the transition) Huh??? What a great opportunity lost.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Struck a nerve? No, not really. I don't really care about what you have to say other than just calling you out for most of the BS that you spew. It's the same crap day in and day out. Feigned outrage plain and simple.

Hey TY WEBB

General says you respect and have an overall man crush on him(!)

Is that TRUE??

The truth is Southwest has interviewed thousands without the type rating. And plenty of been hired.
Count me as another one!

When I was hired the average first year pay at all the legacies was around $30 an hour. Southwest's first year pay was about $50 an hour. So, got to a legacy (that weren't hiring at the time) for roughly $27000 first year pay OR go to SWA for $45000 first year pay? That is an $18000 difference. Even if I had paid $10000 for the type (I didn't pay nearly that much) which I was required to obtain AFTER my offer of employment, I was ahead at least $8000 by getting my type for SWA. What decision would you have made in that set of circumstances? For me the more than $8000 I gained by going to SWA in the first year alone was way more than worth it. Couple that with the superior work rules and rigs compared with the BK rates and contracts that all the legacies were saddled with for a decade and the choice was easy.

Last edited:
I'm sure glad buying the type rating paid off for you, because after all, it's all about you, isn't it?
Yes, it is all about me and of course my family. I made a decision that has already paid 100 fold and allows me to ultimately provide for my family. If that is somehow suspect in your twisted perspective then so be it. Obviously financial gain is not in your decision making process when choosing employment which explains your career decisions regarding employers.

Don't do it. Seniority is everything. Unless another airline has a base you want or already live in, you'll be just chasing your tail. Things are constantly changing, and so it will be at southwest or xyz airline. Enjoy your good fortune!

Seniority is NOTHING if you will never upgrade (people who desire a right seat career aside). I'd go to where I can realistically expect to one day see the left seat before I'm too old to enjoy it.

Yes, it is all about me and of course my family. I made a decision that has already paid 100 fold and allows me to ultimately provide for my family. If that is somehow suspect in your twisted perspective then so be it. Obviously financial gain is not in your decision making process when choosing employment which explains your career decisions regarding employers.

I'm so happy that paying for a type rating has worked out well for you and your family and that the moral issues associated with doing so don't seem to bother you in the least. My employment decisions have paid off handsomely for me and provided rapid seniority advancement and the ability to enjoy a myriad of leisure activities outside of work...all without the shame of PTF.

Seniority is NOTHING if you will never upgrade (people who desire a right seat career aside). I'd go to where I can realistically expect to one day see the left seat before I'm too old to enjoy it.

Correctamundo.

I'm so happy that paying for a type rating has worked out well for you and your family and that the moral issues associated with doing so don't seem to bother you in the least. My employment decisions have paid off handsomely for me and provided rapid seniority advancement and the ability to enjoy a myriad of leisure activities outside of work...all without the shame of PTF.
You are correct, doing the right thing for my family does not bother me in the least. And I am quite certain that the moral outrage on your part will not allow you to accept employment at the evil Southwest Airlines!

Latest resources

Back