• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Leave SWA for AA or Delta?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you had any reading comprehension, you would have seen that the post that I quoted refereed to the industry being littered with those that got burned leaving for greener pastures. That is a fact that even you, in your infinite quest to be Captain Obtuse, cannot deny.

Be specific Howie. And not everyone is casualty of this industry. If you are in a place that you don't enjoy, there are other options, especially for PO'd bottom dwellers at SWA. Sure, pay may be ok right now, but stagnation due to your interesting merger may be primary on those guys' minds.

Don't get so defensive btw. During the legacy BKs many pilots left for your airline. I expect the same amount or more to think about leaving yours. Just let it happen. If you are happy flying in and out of El Paso, then good for you. Some people aspire for something quite different.

Bye Bye---General Lee

So back to square one

If you're senior to me- you ought to leave for anywhere. ;)

Junior? It's something to be considered this one time. To me- if you aren't into SWA and it's just a job and paycheck- there's no reason to not consider the legacies

Some people aspire for something quite different.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Something different like...

Being number 5 behind 4 RJ's for departure? or..

recently touting growth that...upon closer inspection is RJ growth?

Give me a break.

And your telling Howard to 'let it happen'. WTF does that mean? If it's good for your individual situation, I say 'all the best'. Does that mean I'm going to let it happen? You're such an idiot.

General,

Have you been harboring all this SW anger since 9/11, or Sept 2005 (the date that the all mighty Delta filed for bankruptcy and gutted your airline)?
I suspect it's a combination of both.

Something different like...

Being number 5 behind 4 RJ's for departure? or..

recently touting growth that...upon closer inspection is RJ growth?

Give me a break.

And your telling Howard to 'let it happen'. WTF does that mean? If it's good for your individual situation, I say 'all the best'. Does that mean I'm going to let it happen? You're such an idiot.

General,

Have you been harboring all this SW anger since 9/11, or Sept 2005 (the date that the all mighty Delta filed for bankruptcy and gutted your airline)?
I suspect it's a combination of both.

Red,

You never back up your assertions with facts. Have you not been number 5 behind 4 RJs at LGA? Were they all DL RJs? Could SWA 737s profitably do LGA to Elmira? Some city pairs can't make money, notice your airline cut 17 former AT cities.

RJ Growth. Hmmmmm. At DL? Maybe you missed it, but DL RJs are bring parked at a larger rate than being added. 215 50 seaters will be parked, and 70 70/76 seaters added. That means a DEFICIT of RJs. Not growth, a decline. DL mainline is ADDING mainline planes, including 88 717s that you are paying to convert. Didn't you know that????

Instead of being so defensive Red, you and Howie just have to accept that there very well may be an exodus from your airline. Now, that may shatter your image of how great your airline is, but it's all about what THOSE guys want. If they don't want stagnation, they may consider leaving. Don't get so emotional. Keep your emotions in check, and just know that some people just want something they might not be able to get at your airline, including Long Haul INTL travel, longer than 25 min turns, something to fly other than one plane the rest of their careers, and a cool uniform chicks "dig." Just chillax, and go with the flow. Enjoy your 6 leg day to STL, and I'll enjoy Rome (Italy). Ciao!! :)

Bye Bye---General Lee

Instead of being so defensive Red, you and Howie just have to accept that there very well may be an exodus from your airline. Now, that may shatter your image of how great your airline is, but it's all about what THOSE guys want. If they don't want stagnation, they may consider leaving. Don't get so emotional. Keep your emotions in check, and just know that some people just want something they might not be able to get at your airline, including Long Haul INTL travel, longer than 25 min turns, something to fly other than one plane the rest of their careers, and a cool uniform chicks "dig." Just chillax, and go with the flow. Enjoy your 6 leg day to STL, and I'll enjoy Rome (Italy). Ciao!! :)

Bye Bye---General Lee

General,

You really must have failed reading comprehension. I don't really care what people decide to do....so your whole argument is worth jack squat to me. If it's better for them to go to DL or AA, then have at it. It's a personal choice that doesn't really revolve around ELP. Sorry to break that to you. I agree that some might want long haul. I think it would be miserable (anything that involves a redeye sucks as far as I'm concerned) But to each their own. I'm glad your happy.

Same thing with the ego of upgrading. I could care less as long as I'm a senior FO. When I get there, I'll make more than the CA and have more does off along with every holiday. That's my expectation. It may not be yours, and that's cool.

Any day of the week in either DTW, ATL, or SLC you can be behind 3-4 RJs General. It's embarrassing for the mainline guys, and I get that. DALPA should have never allowed it in the first place. Over 800 RJs? How many millions in mainline jobs lost? Most likely billions with a B.

It's funny how you mention the 25 min turn like it's a bad thing. I love it. I like to be efficient while at work. Making the most while I'm on the road. Why would I want to have 1.5hrs of ground time in a hub like Delta?

Your 4 day that pays 20 would drive me nuts. We do 3 days that pay that....and I'm home by 1pm on day three with NO redeyes. Life is good Gen, no complaints or sore emotions here. Happy Holidays.

RF

Last edited:
General,

You really must have failed reading comprehension. I don't really care what people decide to do....so your whole argument is worth jack squat to me. If it's better for them to go to DL or AA, then have at it. It's a personal choice that doesn't really revolve around ELP. Sorry to break that to you. I agree that some might want long haul. I think it would be miserable (anything that involves a redeye sucks as far as I'm concerned) But to each their own. I'm glad your happy.

Same thing with the ego of upgrading. I could care less as long as I'm a senior FO. When I get there, I'll make more than the CA and have more does off along with every holiday. That's my expectation. It may not be yours, and that's cool.

It's funny how you mention the 25 min turn like it's a bad thing. I love it. I like to be efficient while at work. Making the most while I'm on the road. Why would I want to have 1.5hrs of ground time in a hub like Delta?

Your 4 day that pays 20 would drive me nuts. We do 3 days that pay that....and I'm home by 1pm on day three with NO redeyes. Life is good Gen, no complaints or sore emotions here. Happy Holidays.

RF

Thanks Red, Happy Holidays to you too. Not all 4 days are 20 hours, and not all trips have 1.5 hour sits. That's what is great about a legacy, variety. You can do one day turns up to 12 day trips. You can see the World, or just see Florida. Variety is the spice of life. Goodnight Red.

Bye Bye---General Lee

You really have nothing to lose if you get on at the beginning of a large hiring wave.
Nothing to lose? You really are not a student of this industry. The OP is currently sitting on a list with more than a thousand pilots below him and protected from a furlough unless SWA reduces its workforce by way more than 10% of the seniority list! Far from nothing to lose.

Nothing to lose? You really are not a student of this industry. The OP is currently sitting on a list with more than a thousand pilots below him and protected from a furlough unless SWA reduces its workforce by way more than 10% of the seniority list! Far from nothing to lose.

Ohhhh Howie. Watch out! Mars will Attack! Look, all 3 big legacies will lose 5,000 pilots each in 10 years. Getting on early in a hiring wave will give plenty of protection. There will be retirements, tons of them.

Your airline is facing stagnation, and anyone in the bottom third is probably considering a change. The earlier the better, and I'm sure the type rating guys around Dallas wouldn't mind, think how many people would buy types for future jobs with you guys! Fantastic!

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:

That's a good point, and it should be weighed carefully-

That said there IS opportunity elsewhere that's real. Timing is everything and every TIME is different and evaluated as such.

I do NOT understand the need to defend the southwest career or convince those who truly don't need and want to be here to stay.

Ohhhh Howie. Watch out! Mars will Attack! Look, all 3 big legacies will lose 5,000 pilots each in 10 years. Getting on early in a hiring wave will give plenty of protection. There will be retirements, tons of them.

Your airline is facing stagnation, and anyone in the bottom third is probably considering a change. The earlier the better, and I'm sure the type rating guys around Dallas wouldn't mind, think how many people would buy types for future jobs with you guys! Fantastic!

Bye Bye---General Lee

Why do you try so hard to convince others of the differences of flying for a legacy with a discount airline? We all know there is no comparison. Of those who have not flown for a legacy, they will never know so stop trying so hard to compare apples and oranges.

Latest resources

Back