Leave Fortune 100 for NJA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

matthewjohn

Would any corp guys leave their dep to go to NJA?

Assume:
1--you are a CA,
2--you would take a pay cut till about year 3-5 (depending on sched and aircraft) if you stay an FO, 3--you do not know your sched untll 1700 the day prior at current job,
4--benefits and 401k at NJ are better.
5--Present company says they are making good profits even in the economy so seems "secure" for long run (I have 35 years till I can retire)
6--Average about 5-6 overnights a month, do about 3-4 day trips a week, but still are not usually home untill late evening, and have additional duties to do on days not flying.
7--This is a Fortune 100 company.

I dont dislike the current job that is why I think this might be a tough call for me. Any constructive input would be appreciated.

Please dont ask about current company or interviews with NJA. I'll let anyone know that cares what I decided when I do. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Matt,
I have spent the last eight years at a Fortune 200 flight department. We average 3-4 days a week and 8 RON's per month and also have some extra duties on the side. I spent two years at Flight Options before I got my current job. I know they are not the same but that schedule of 8 or 7 seven days on can be rough. It is followed by 7 or 6 days off but I found it took a couple of those days just to recover from the 7 or 8 on. If I were in your shoes I would stay with Fortune 100. Just my 2 cents.

Would any crop guys leave their dep to go to NJA?

Assume:
1--you are a CA,
2--you would take a pay cut till about year 3-5 (depending on sched and aircraft) if you stay an FO, 3--you do not know your sched untll 1700 the day prior at current job,
5--Present company says they are making good profits even in the economy so seems "secure" for long run (I have 35 years till I can retire)
6--Average about 5-6 overnights a month, do about 3-4 day trips a week, but still are not usually home untill late evening, and have additional duties to do on days not flying.

I dont dislike the current job that is why I think this might be a tough call for me. Any constructive input would be appreciated.

Please dont ask about current company or interviews with NJA. I'll let anyone know that cares what I decided when I do. Thanks.

MJ,

Interesting dillemma. I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions on corp vs. frac. The toughest part will be sorting them all out and deciding which apply to your specific situation and which ones dont. In the end the correct decision is the one that will make you, the wife, family, the happiest.
That said, Examine the factors that have led you to look into making the switch. Pay?, schedule?, Overall QOL?, burn out?, frustrations with mgmnt? etc. Do you see these issues getting better, worse or staying the same in the next 12-18 months? Do you think or have intel re: NJA that makes you feel that the overall situation would be better there? Just some brainstorming food as you go down this road.

I made the move from 121 Regional CA to corporate about 5 years ago and it has worked out thus far for me. I can sympathize with your comments about the schedule, ours seems to change by the hour some days, however in the grand scheme of things: I am home with my family more than I ever was at the regionals, 6 mile drive to work vs. 38 mile drive and the pay almost doubled by year 2. the benefits and retirement are two compelling issues. However with 35 yrs left to go you should have ton of time to plan/save for the golden years. Get something ggoing now outsdie of your company plan, even if its only $100 per pay. Our retirement plan will be changing soon,therefore my wife and I have had to readjust our personal savings habits outside of the company plan to include a Roth and a money market acct.

I dont have any first hand experience w/ the fracs, so I'll let others give you the good and bad of that world.

So now that I've blown all that hot air,I guess I should answer the question: At this time I wouldnt leave my current job to go to NJA. Once again, this is an individual choice of where I see myself being happier. I think the 7 on - 7 off would just about kill me by day 5 of being gone. I know I wouldnt do well being away from my family for that many days every other week. I know a few guys that fly at NJA and love it, they wouldnt think of leaving for a 91 gig.

Best of luck in your choices and when the time comes let me know what you decide.

Only you can make such a decision...Fortune 100 corporate gigs vary in QOL and PAY as much as all the fractional gigs do.

I can say that the guys I know at NJA work much harder than the vast majority of corp guys I know.

As far as economics - don't let the hype of the internet boards fool you, ALL areas can be affected by money slowing down. Corporations may shrink their fleets, and fractional customers may quit and just charter a few times a year...it's all about cutting budgets and saving money. However, I don't see either sector getting hammered, as the airlines have made traveling such a wretched nightmare and impossible to conduct business with.

The pay, benefits, days off, etc vary widely in corporate.

How senior are you in your department? What if they had cutbacks?

I personally wouldn't jump to the bottom of ANYONES senority list today.

Good luck with your decision!

Last edited:
You have to look at NJA as an airline job. In that it's seniority based--if you're going to go, then go ASAP.

You'll work more than a 91 job (unless you're large cabin, then the trips can be long).

You could always tough it out for awhile and shop for other 91 jobs.

Knowing your schedule is a good thing. Busting your butt 7 days in a row is tough--and probably won't get any easier as you get older.

Good luck. TC

Simple Logic

Here is my simple formula:

If you have to pack and unpack a suitcase more than twice a week as well as end up with two different room keys in your wallet per week then just say no to crack, I mean NJA.

I am at my 8th Corp flight Dept. 5 of them Fortune 300 or better, including EngineThunders. I would only consider NJA if location were more important than QOL. NJA has some of the best pay and benefits in all of Corp and now more than almost all 121 gigs but you HAVE to be able to handle the schedule. Those that can and enjoy it have probably the best job out there but those that can't burn out fast and dread each rotation more and more. If you are willing to move and be flexible try another Big 91 gig until you find the right fit. The good news is with your 91 background if you do try NJA and don't like it you will probably have a much easier time leaving than the flood of 121 to 91 guy's. I have totaly exhausted the grass is greener theory but have found the right job for me! It's a rare opportunity in this market to have a good job while you're waiting for the great job to open. Make absolutely sure you can do the 7 on 7 off before you leave what you have! Santuli and Buffet don't just give away money, the NJA pilots have done an incredible job and went through a lot of misery to make it the job it is today!(I personaly loved the billboards!)

Would any corp guys leave their dep to go to NJA?

Assume:
1--you are a CA,

It depends on how much you really like those nice ties at NJA . What are the extra duties when not flying ?

It depends on how much you really like those nice ties at NJA .

Too funny. :beer:

I know exactly 7 men who fly for NJA. Ages are between 30 and 45 with seniority ranging from 5 years to about 14 years at NJ. Out of those 7 four of them look atleast 10 to 20 years older than they actually are. Another basic theory comes to light:

7 days on packing and unpacking bags makes those bags under the eyes always look full. Scheduling literally can make NJ pilots pull their hair out! Or is it just male pattern baldness? I am also trying to figure out why half of my buds who fly for NJ have gained numerous poundage since they received their wings at NJA. Is it the hoarding of the catering and savoring of that perdiem check every month? Why is it many NJA flyguys feel like they hit the jackpot when 12am strikes on their 7th day and they are still in the center seat of a SWA flight home? Is that extra cash worth it?

Fellas, there are many good corporate gigs out here in the good ole USA. Forget saudi arabia where you can end up on liveleak.com with a great video of your ugly mug getting cut off. Forget about NJA if you like the idea of never being carded at a bar since you look way over 45. Keep your nose to the grind stone and use those excellent networking skills you know you have and find the premo job you have always wished for after you gave up on the airlines.

Latest resources

Back