• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Leave Fortune 100 for NJA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dang, these anti-NJA (lifestyle, not bashing)threads are refreshing! Don't tell the guys in the Frac forums though. Your right, ain't nothing noble about packing, and unpacking that much in a month! I know, I used to frac at Flops. Home is where the heart is baby. No more spending my last day off getting ready for the next 7 or 8 days on!

Can't you bid a schedule shorter then 7 days? I thought they changed that.

We have an option for a flexible schedule, which has no set days off, but has a maximum tour of 5 days and pays 10% more money (for 2 fewer workdays per year). I'm on it now, and I like it. It's limited to 10% of pilots (in each seat in each fleet). I may go back to the 7/7 down the road, as I like being able to make plans, but I'm in no hurry.

As for FlyingPieceOfSt's friends who look way older than they are, I don't know what to tell ya. I know a whole lot more NJA guys than he does, and none of them look older than they are. He must hang out with heavy drinkers. ;)

NO WAY!!!!
Just look at the faces on the frac guys in the hotel vans after a 12 hr five leg day and then look at the corprate guy after a 5 hr one leg day talking about what sights they are going to take in on their 2-day lay over.
Corp. flying wont fill your log books but at this stage of your career who needs more flight time.

NO WAY!!!!
Just look at the faces on the frac guys in the hotel vans after a 12 hr five leg day and then look at the corprate guy after a 5 hr one leg day talking about what sights they are going to take in on their 2-day lay over.
Corp. flying wont fill your log books but at this stage of your career who needs more flight time.

How about the corp guy who just did the 16hr day, with a 13hr leg?
:eek:

yeah, Id rather do that than 20 legs in a Citation, but comparing the two can be impossible. Do what makes you and your family happy.

I have also learned that the the more one brags about their job on the internet, the more likely it is that they are full of $hit.
:)

Last edited:
NO WAY!!!!
Just look at the faces on the frac guys in the hotel vans after a 12 hr five leg day....

Those aren't a regular event. More typical is 2-3 legs, and one or two of those is a <45 minute empty leg to reposition the plane.

It isn't for everyone, but it isn't the nightmare that's being painted by a couple of the guys here. Indeed, there are a lot of perks that you won't find at a corporate job, and that certainly offsets some of the negatives.

Here's a big one: my wife and I have decided we want to move across the country. With NJA, I go online and give 30 days' notice of what airport I want to fly out of. That's it -- I'm now based there. Were I in a typical corporate job, I'd be finding a new one, because the job is locked to a location.

Another one: a NJA guy is never called on his day off to cover a trip. When he's off, he's off, period. Not being on call helps me look so young. The 20-hour overnight in Cabo the other day didn't hurt either. ;)

Last edited:
We have an option for a flexible schedule, which has no set days off, but has a maximum tour of 5 days and pays 10% more money (for 2 fewer workdays per year). I'm on it now, and I like it. It's limited to 10% of pilots (in each seat in each fleet). I may go back to the 7/7 down the road, as I like being able to make plans, but I'm in no hurry.

As for FlyingPieceOfSt's friends who look way older than they are, I don't know what to tell ya. I know a whole lot more NJA guys than he does, and none of them look older than they are. He must hang out with heavy drinkers. ;)

I thought you had to be a heavy drinker just to be in this business !!?

So Coporate guys how hard is it to say no? What backing do you have? Don't tell me "We have company SOP's and policies" Yeah great but if the boss wants to go, and there are no 91 duty times what do you do? I do realize that there are many upstanding corp outfits out there, but just like scumbag 135 there are some scumbag 91 outfits.

So Coporate guys how hard is it to say no? What backing do you have? Don't tell me "We have company SOP's and policies" Yeah great but if the boss wants to go, and there are no 91 duty times what do you do? I do realize that there are many upstanding corp outfits out there, but just like scumbag 135 there are some scumbag 91 outfits.

What do you do?

You avoid scumbag 91 outfits....just you avoid scumbag 135 operations, scumbag airlines, and scumbag fractional outfits...pick and choose wisely.

:)

Decent outfits follow SOPs and Policies - 91,135, or otherwise.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back