• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Leave Fortune 100 for NJA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You don't really think that's what we do, do you?

Let me review my week for you, which was very similar to my last tour:

Day 1: show around 9am for a short airline (ack number 1) from Orlando to Savannah to pick up (I hate picking up new deliveries of our jets let alone an empty one to start th eday off wrong) a plane. Fly a short, empty flight to a cool little beach town in north Florida, and spend the night by the water.(Trying not to spend more than 5 bucks of your own money cause most of you hate to use that per diem) (Also trying to feel out th eother pilot if he is a NARCing type for a few beers before bed time) Done. 9.7 hours of duty, 13 hours off.

Day 2: Fly a group of businessmen to a meeting in Minneapolis, wait a few hours(usually eatting catering), then continue with them to Omaha(more catering! Yummy!). Spend the night downtown. 9.5 hours on duty, 18.5 hours off.(Think your missing that common NJ Scheduling SNAFU here...Sit at the Omaha FBO til Scheduling figures out they don't have squat for you after sitting for 4 more hours than maybe get a "ride" to your hotel or DH to that next wonderful spot in the midwest.)

Day 3: Fly a real nice couple (Hey wheres my tip? Heh j/k here, I never get tips either, dont really need em.)from Omaha up to Michigan to go golfing (Golfing for the pax ofcourse not crew-had to clarify-More catering btw). Then fly the plane to Milwaukee for scheduled maintenance. Done. 8.5 hours on duty, 21 hours off(Still trying to see if it is okay to have a drink or not).

Day 4: Duty at hotel starting mid-afternoon,(what?, no rental to go see some sites while both of you can?) which is when the plane was schedule to be ready. Nothing came up,(call hotel shuttle again) shut back down after 6 hours. Here I am in Milwaukee again, enjoying the nice weather and nice people, and tomorrow morning I airline (No comment)home. This one's a minimum turn, yes -- but that's so they can put me on the first flight of the day, the 7:55am nonstop to Orlando on Midwest. I don't mind; I'll be home for a late lunch (real food now)on my last workday.

Never saw Aspen,(Hey, what is wrong with Aspen? great place if you have a car and they set you up in a decent hotel downtown instead of those hotels near the airport)Palm Beach, Teterboro, or a min-rest turn. Same with last week. (Still wondering if your partner in crime is gonna rat you out for having a couple beers)

Do we sometimes have busy days, busy seasons, and short turns? Of course! But that's not the day-in, day-out routine all year. Not by a long shot.

There are great 91 jobs that make mine pale in comparison; I don't doubt that for a minute. But I think you have a real misunderstanding about the typical day of a Netjets guy.

That's exactly what I was gonna say to you! :beer:

Since I know and hangar chat with quite a few NJ guys please notice the changes to CA1900's list which needed a slight adjustment...

Edit--My NJ buds find this thread entertaining and told me to post more often. I am trying to break triple digits on post counts.

Last edited:
Almost any?

I work for a very average PT 91 department, and I would certainly not want to go to Netjets.

7 days of 5 leg trips? min rest? no thanks!....Aspen, Palm Beach, Teterboro...no thanks! It would take 3 of the 7 days off just to recover. We start guys at 125K (plus possible bonus/stock) and thats really not too competitive these days.

How long does it take a Netjet new hire to get to 150K, work an average of 10 days a month, and get 4 weeks vacation? These are pretty common Pt91 starting numbers these days.

And as far as the stability? - I really hope you dont think that Netjets is any more stable than a PT91 job....thats essentially what you are!

The fight department first to go? is this 1985?

As much as the economy has been strained lately, how many F200 departments have shut down, or even slowed their flying? Do they just give up and stop traveling around the world to make money?

Its great you like your job, but I hope you realize we are are ALL pretty much in the same boat.

:)

that why i said almost..sounds like you have a good job..

Guys, it appears that we all like OUR OWN JOBS. This is a great thing.

For me, NJs is secure (for now), it offers a wide variety of both destinations and pax. I have no need to fly to Dubai, or Cairo, or any foreign destination. Canada and Mexico are far enough, and big enough pain in the a$$, for me.

What I really like about NJs, is seniority. Having about 700 guys junior to me in these times is a huge benefit.

FWIW, an old friend of mine was flying a GEX and a helicopter. Sounded like a great job. He loved the GEX, but hated the range. Loved the helicopter, and the shorter flights. He quit, due to the GEX.

(Parenthetical stuff is yours)

...to pick up (I hate picking up new deliveries of our jets let alone an empty one to start th eday off wrong) a plane.

Uhhh... since I don't fly on my week off, how exactly do you suggest I get myself into an airplane? I'd love to just keep it in the garage on my week off, but the company frowns on that. :rolleyes:

Fly a short, empty flight to a cool little beach town in north Florida, and spend the night by the water.(Trying not to spend more than 5 bucks of your own money cause most of you hate to use that per diem)
Ahh, glaring generalizations. Gotta love 'em. I had a nice dinner at an Italian restaurant that ran me about $60 with drinks. I'd much rather sit down to a nice meal than eat out of a box, when the opportunity presents itself.

(Also trying to feel out th eother pilot if he is a NARCing type for a few beers before bed time)
Why would anybody NARC anybody else? There's no prohibition against drinking beer on overnights. Off-duty is off-duty.
Day 2: Fly a group of businessmen to a meeting in Minneapolis, wait a few hours(usually eatting catering), then continue with them to Omaha(more catering! Yummy!).
Minneapolis was lunch at a Mongolian BBQ a few miles from the airport, actually.

(Think your missing that common NJ Scheduling SNAFU here...Sit at the Omaha FBO til Scheduling figures out they don't have squat for you after sitting for 4 more hours...

Uhhh, no, they planned from the beginning to have us wait for the passengers.

... than maybe get a "ride" to your hotel or DH to that next wonderful spot in the midwest.)
There are two kinds of people in this world: those that find a reason to be unhappy where they are, and those who find good things to do in the place they find themselves. Fate dropped me in the midwest this week; I choose to make the most of where I am, whether it's a city in the midwest, a little town in Canada, or even Teterboro.

... to Michigan to go golfing (Golfing for the pax ofcourse not crew-had to clarify-More catering btw).
We had a ~90-minute turn, so yes, we had catering for lunch. It was from our caterer in Omaha, which does a nice job, and I enjoyed it. What's the problem?

21 hours off(Still trying to see if it is okay to have a drink or not).

Not sure what you're going on about regarding the drinks... we went out and had a good time.

Day 4: Duty at hotel starting mid-afternoon,(what?, no rental to go see some sites while both of you can?)

Nope, had to settle for the crew car from the FBO. :rolleyes:

Nothing came up,(call hotel shuttle again)

Never went to the airport; no shuttle involved.

...tomorrow morning I airline (No comment)home.

Given the choice of taking an airline or two during my work week, or never being able to move to another city if I want to keep my job, that's an easy choice.

(Still wondering if your partner in crime is gonna rat you out for having a couple beers)

Just got back from several with him. What the heck is your fetish with the beer police?

Let's not let this degenerate into an internet argument. The OP is just looking for some perspective regarding large dept 91 vs. NJA. Both operations have there advantages, and disadvantages - depending on your perspective.

:beer:

I have never argued on the internet.
:D

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back