• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Leave Fortune 100 for NJA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why is it many NJA flyguys feel like they hit the jackpot when 12am strikes on their 7th day and they are still in the center seat of a SWA flight home? Is that extra cash worth it?
You better believe it! It is not penny's we are talking about.

Hey, big Fortune 100 companies can be very vulnerable. Who ever thought GM's market capitalization would be $5.6 billion. Really? It is now. Who knows how that and the closure of numerous auto plants could impact their travel needs? Just a couple years ago GM would be considered one of the top corporate jobs out there... Now, the future for that flight department could be a little hazy - perhaps they won't need as much lift for awhile...

My point is that "cherry" corporate jobs can quickly vanish too - you are always one merger or one restructuring away from networking again... Watch out as "activist" investors scrutinize company P&Ls looking for "expensive" assets like Gulfstreams and Global Expresses - these are the first things to go in a takeover.

Personally, if given the choice, I would take Netjets. Sure, Netjets might not be a sure thing (nothing is), but I'd rather spread the risk over many more owners than just one flight department. That's my $0.02.

Hey, big Fortune 100 companies can be very vulnerable. Who ever thought GM's market capitalization would be $5.6 billion. Really? It is now. Who knows how that and the closure of numerous auto plants could impact their travel needs? Just a couple years ago GM would be considered one of the top corporate jobs out there... Now, the future for that flight department could be a little hazy - perhaps they won't need as much lift for awhile...

My point is that "cherry" corporate jobs can quickly vanish too - you are always one merger or one restructuring away from networking again... Watch out as "activist" investors scrutinize company P&Ls looking for "expensive" assets like Gulfstreams and Global Expresses - these are the first things to go in a takeover.

Personally, if given the choice, I would take Netjets. Sure, Netjets might not be a sure thing (nothing is), but I'd rather spread the risk over many more owners than just one flight department. That's my $0.02.

Who would have thought GM would be going broke? many people.

Toyota is putting 5K premiums on a POS Prius and good old Chevy is still pushing H2 Hummers and Suburbans at 10K off and 0% for 8 years. Yup, they are collecting dust.

Also, every time I see a Pontiac Aztec I am reminded as to why they are going out of business. Who could come up with such a thing? WTF?

The pickup truck crutch of the last 20yrs is now gone. This is really not a surprise, is it?

I mean, how many rental cars can a place produce?

I know, way off topic and you were just looking for an example.....but this is not a good one! They can blame oil all they want, but it just made the flatspin a little faster.

Sad to say.

I know, way off topic and you were just looking for an example.....but this is not a good one! They can blame oil all they want, but it just made the flatspin a little faster.

Sad to say.

There is a hanger at an airport in the south, that used to be home to a "good size" flight department. At one time they had a few Gs......and a much bigger plane as well. They had two hangars, 20+/- pilots, 12+ FAs, mechanics. It was the envy of flight depatments. Today....they still own the hangars, but they rent out the space to others, and they employee one (maybe 2) in their aviation department. He oversees the hangar.

Just sayin'.

I've tried to read all the entries here and I may have missed some, BUT, I think fuel prices and the economy slow down are going to affect NJ. Correct me please, but doesn't NJ add a surcharge to flights to cover fuel price increases? Like any 135 or management company, at some point the borderline customers reduce or stop flying in bad economic times. When contracts come due in the next year or so, how many customers don't renew their share? I don't see NJ as being as rosy an opportunity for a new hire. They are going to have to weather this just like the airlines.

I've tried to read all the entries here and I may have missed some, BUT, I think fuel prices and the economy slow down are going to affect NJ. Correct me please, but doesn't NJ add a surcharge to flights to cover fuel price increases? Like any 135 or management company, at some point the borderline customers reduce or stop flying in bad economic times. When contracts come due in the next year or so, how many customers don't renew their share? I don't see NJ as being as rosy an opportunity for a new hire. They are going to have to weather this just like the airlines.

You make a valid point. But remember, if they dont fly due to high fuel prices, they still have to pay their monthly fees. And if we lose some of the folks that are borderline rich, we will likely pick up others that dont want to fly that gas guzzling G2.

Its a trade off. Some small flight depts with older planes might sell the planes and buy into a more efficient plane. Maybe someone has a G2 or G3, and they will keep it, but add a QS Ultra, for the smaller flights.

But yeah, nothing is safe in the flying business.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back