• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Leather Jackets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Leather jackets are much more functional. I got my Perrone when I was flying J32s. No APU. Comfortable, warm and practicale to wear for the whole flight.

Independence Air just broke the traditional pilot leather jacket mold with a Arnold S. based company. The jacket doesn't have a fitted waist band, rather the waist of the jacket goes below the waist about an inch. No knitted cuufs

How ever there is a time to wear the blazer; informational picketing, strikes, semi formal company events and a pilots funeral.

Now, if you are a uber geek Joe Pilot ERAU/UND type you'd wear your uniform to your wedding!! The question is, would you wear your leather jacket or blazer!!!:rolleyes: . Perhaps if you are an total ultra purist aviation junkie you'd marry another pilot and BOTH of you would wear your uniforms. One blazer and one leather jacket. YEAH!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The problem is, in this current environement it is hard to justify paying for a leather jacket AND a blazer.

Last edited:
Rez O. Lewshun said:
How ever there is a time to wear the blazer; informational picketing, strikes, semi formal company events and a pilots funeral.

I agree entirely, I saw an AA crew where the Captain was wearing the standard blazer, and the FO was wearing the new leather jacket, they just didn't look right together. Either wear the blazer in the summer and the leather in the winter, or just go to one jacket type.

We decided to go to all leather jackets at Atlas Air for the same reason, it made all the crewmembers look alike.

Thanks for the advice!

I'm glad someone finally told us where the blazer is most appropriate. In fact, it's probably a good idea to get two blazers. You never know when you'll have to be on a strike line, getting your clothes all trashed out in the hot DFW sun, then have nothing nice to wear to the funeral the next day. You might even consider three blazers--what if you had to information picket while the other two were at the cleaners? On the rare day you might have to go to work, just wear the leather.

ATA has 'em too. I am so new at SWA that my leather jacket isn't in yet... so I am the one guy with the blazer on, easy to spot the 'new ones.

saabcaptain said:
ATA has 'em too. I am so new at SWA that my leather jacket isn't in yet... so I am the one guy with the blazer on, easy to spot the 'new ones.

Yes, you'd be the one that looks like an airline pilot and not like the bus driver that just parked the tour bus.

Sorry, I could not resist, but that is the way it looks.

OK, I'm head down, standing by for incoming, fire away.

~DC

Rez O. Lewshun said:
Now, if you are a uber geek Joe Pilot ERAU/UND type you'd wear your uniform to your wedding!! The question is, would you wear your leather jacket or blazer!!!:rolleyes: . Perhaps if you are an total ultra purist aviation junkie you'd marry another pilot and BOTH of you would wear your uniforms. One blazer and one leather jacket. YEAH!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

About a year ago in the local paper, there was a Joe Schmo pilot from Airtran that had his uniform on in an engagement announcement picture with his fiance. We laughed for a while at breakfast that morning.

Alaska and Horizon use San Diego Leather, but I wouldn't reccomend them. Too expensive, low quality, and your shirt collars will turn black.

Now, if you are an uber geek Joe Pilot ERAU/UND type you'd wear your uniform to your wedding!! The question is, would you wear your leather jacket or blazer!!!
Come on now! The Fighting Sioux are way cooler than the Riddle'uns!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back