• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Lear question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I believe there is a guy that has a special single pilot certified Lear 24 that he uses for airshows, (acrobatics and stuff), but he's got special permission from the feds, the A/C is VERY restricted, and he can't carry PAX, etc.

For normal ops, CUEBOAT is right......NO Lears are SP certified. Although that is what Bill Lear originally intended in the design of the early 20 series, the feds answered with an emphatic NO.

thats what i thought... why is it that the some of the citations are single pilot certified but none of the Lears are?

Lears are faster, less stable, more of a handful, higher approach speeds, higher workload, etc. Citations are slow, stable and easy to fly. Even when the Citations are flown SP, they're restricted too. No more than 12,500 MTOW, even though the older straight II's can take off with up to 2,000 lbs more than that.

CapnVegetto said:
I believe there is a guy that has a special single pilot certified Lear 24 that he uses for airshows, (acrobatics and stuff), but he's got special permission from the feds, the A/C is VERY restricted, and he can't carry PAX, etc.

Bobby Younkin. i got to see his show this past summer, it was awesome to see a lear so far out of its normal flight routine...

more than likely because citations are slower. Someone once told me some garbage about the gear handle location, i don't buy that, who knows they may be right, stranger things have happened. A person could just as easily bend some metal in a citation single pilot as a person could in a lear, anyone know the real answer?

edit* **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** i type slow-tation

CUEBOAT said:
more than likely because citations are slower. Someone once told me some garbage about the gear handle location, i don't buy that, who knows they may be right, stranger things have happened. A person could just as easily bend some metal in a citation single pilot as a person could in a lear, anyone know the real answer?

edit* **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** i type slow-tation

You're right, it's just the speed an handling characteristics. Cessna designed it specifically for that. There were things that had to be complied with, (i.e. the ident button on the yoke thing), but it's the flight characteristics of the airplane, and the design of the cockpit that got it the single pilot certification.

Latest resources

Back