Lear 45 vs. Citation Excel

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

NCherches

So we are looking at a Lear 45 or a Citation Excel-Leaning more towards the Excel. Just wanted to see what people thought of each. Anyone have experience in both.

Maintenance Issues in the Lear?

Will the LR45 do NYC to PHX non-stop most of the time?

Any other advice on what to look for or opinions would be great!

Thx

(and NO were not hiring!)

that is 1854 nm from TEB to PHX, not going to happen either one of those airplanes on a regular basis.

How many pax? More than 2 pax in the XL and you're leaving gas behind.

We recently tried all of the "Mids" out and went with the Hawker.

In my opinion the 45 does not have a 1845 mile cabin, though if the XR mods are done you would not have to leave any fuel behind. The 45 and XL's Range are also predicated on cruise in the Mid 40's. I would not operate a 45 that was not on pro parts at minimum.

We liked the XL's Cabin and Baggage, but the ride was the deal breaker for us. It is miserable in anything more than light turbulence.

Both the 45 and XL are not very comfortable up front for long range trips.

The Hawker does burn more fuel than Both the 45 and XL but we have found if we run it at .76 it is not so bad.

I flew the 45 for a few years and its a great plane!
I don't know anything about the Excel. Unless you're a salesman, its nearly impossible to make NYC to PHX. The baggage space is awesome. We went to Europe in it with 6 pax, 4 sets of golf clubs, it was tight but it fit! As far as MX, I didn't have that many issues. The biggest problems we're with the computers-just re-boot and that solved the problem.

I flew both the Excel and the LR45. The Excel has a better cabin and baggage and lower maintenance costs. If you want to pack up the plane with pax and full fuel, you have a much better chance with the Lear. The range and speed are better on the lear, plus it handles like a sports car. The PHX to NYC mission is more doable in the Lear

I did GYR to MMU 5 pax in LR 45. Couldn't do it the other way.

I have flown the 45 and am familiar with the XL. Most of the comments on here seem to be right on.

It boils down to the XL having a more comfortable cabin overall, although that may not be saying much, but the 45 is the performer. I have never been disappointed with the 45's performance in loading bags, people, gas, and a not so long runway. On a good day loading of the two aircraft are comparable, but if you have to carry extra fuel for alternates and such or have multiple SUVs backing up to the airplane the XL will bite you.

PHX-NYC in the 45 maybe with a good tailwind. I have heard guys doing SEA-NYC, but it was with a 120kt tailwind. Every time I did it I had to stop in Salina.

Longest legs that I have not had a problem with a full bag load and 4-5 pax was Florida Keys to Cleveland/HPN/TEB off of a 4000ft strip.

Latest resources

Back