LCC or NJA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

tanzer16

Shouldn't be a hard choice, but just wanted to hear input if one had to choose recall to group 2 at U (737/A320) or Netjets. Thanks in advance for the opinions.

Depends what you're looking for, truly. Airline flying and fractional flying are very different animals. You'll likely work harder, longer days at a fractional, doing everything from flying to stocking the plane to wiping down tray tables. Each flight's a little different.

It isn't for everybody. I had a friend who came here a couple of years ago, and left less than a year later when he got hired at Cathay Pacific. As for me, I'm happy here and will likely stay with it for the long haul. I stopped updating my apps with the airlines when I got hired here.

I wouldn't pass on recall unless you already have a good job and an actual offer from NJA. But if both jobs appeal and are on the table, I'd take NJA over US Airways in a heartbeat. I think US is going to be in labor strife for years (if it doesn't implode first), and it's going to be just a miserable working environment.

Last edited:
Well if the united usair merger goes through there will be significant capacity reduction and almost certainly furloughs again.

But if you don't have a job its an easy choice. There was a guy in my interview group that hadn't flown in more than a year and didn't get an offer. Not to say that was the only factor but it didn't help for sure.

I agree with the smoking monkey.

They are completely different and it depends on what you want to do. Personally, I love it here and wish I had made the switch hers ago. I will never go back to the airlines but that's me.

If you take pride in service and enjoy the challenge of getting it right the first time, anywhere, any time, every time; then this is a great place to be. If you wanna just show up and fly the plane from point A to point B; then you had better stay at the airlines.

Plus we are still hiring steady for the next several years at least. Compared to the airlines who are moving backward...AGAIN!

Good Luck. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Shouldn't be a hard choice, but just wanted to hear input if one had to choose recall to group 2 at U (737/A320) or Netjets. Thanks in advance for the opinions.

US is THE train wreck of the industry. If you like high stakes where everyone is a loser then sign right up.

This business isn't about aircraft size, uniforms, nonreving or fortune and glory anymore.

To me, at least, it's about a steady paycheck (good money), 100% paid benes and good time off with NO commute.

Thank god for the airlines though... I need to get to my plane somehow.

If you have actual offers from both right now, I'd go with Netjets personally. I could handle the 7/7 schedule (although others might not). With 100 pilot domiciles, roughly $60K to start and brand new airplanes with unlimited route variety, Netjets would be the superior choice in my mind. Add Warren Buffett as the owner and the current airline consolidation craze, I'd pick Netjets for better job security at this point.

Why go to USAirways where you could be furloughed post-merger?

Not to mention a company that actually takes care of their employees. How much is insurance at Airways?

I think it depends on how good your airline is. it can be tough choice. i am waiting to hear from nja after an interview a couple of weeks ago. my airline is not doing that great but i still make what a nja captain makes and i get 18 days off as compared to 14 days off. there was 2 nja guys in my newhire class at the airline (that was when it was the old contract though).I still havent decided if its the best choice or not but atleast nja looks a little better on paper. good luck.

This business isn't about aircraft size, uniforms, nonreving or fortune and glory anymore.

To me, at least, it's about a steady paycheck (good money), 100% paid benes and good time off with NO commute.

Thank god for the airlines though... I need to get to my plane somehow.

Amen brother. It took me a long time to get that into my thick skull. I'm very grateful to be away from 121 and finally work for a company that takes pride in their product.

Latest resources

Back