• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

LCAL hiring mins?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Understand. Good luck. I hope we are hiring by the end of the year and I hope 2013 is a big hiring year after the JCBA and SLI is done. If you believe the numbers, we are going to need a lot of new faces in the next 5 years.
Thanks man...I remain hopeful. The future looks promising.

No degree was definatly the reason they said no. I had friends who were involved in hiring, two of which were my former chief pilots. Looking back? I don't look back, only forward.

I was hired in 05 without a degree although I was substantially finished with the required credits.

Out of curiosity, have you made any progress toward a degree in order to make yourself more marketable?

Most of these posts refer to how CAL hiring was done in the past. As we are seeing on the line many of the new procedures are a blend of the CAL and UAL cultures. Which begs the question, what were UAL's requirements the last time they were hiring?

Does anyone know how far down the furlough-callback list they are?

Someone may have more accurate numbers, but I think about 1,100 letters were sent to the 1,437 furloughed UAL pilots. About 200 pilots accepted class dates.

LCAL hiring mins equals one simple thing: knowing the right person.

Quals don't matter right now. Anyone getting calls early will have serious connections.

any talk of raising first year pay on the next contract?

I doubt it. 30K and no health insurance for 6 months is plenty.......

Of course it will be raised significantly on the upcoming contract. It will be discussed in April when compensation is put on the table(that is assuming scheduling is finally completed in the upcoming weeks) and I bet the company agrees to almost doubling the 1st year hourly and providing insurance from day 1. The number of pilots we are going to need over the next 10 years along with Delta/American/U.S. Airways makes attracting the best from the regionals/military paramount. Assuming these pilots are going to look past 1st year pay because we have all these shiny new 787's etc coming and the pay rates after year 1 are a lot better is just not going to cut it during the next round of hiring.

I was hired in 05 without a degree although I was substantially finished with the required credits.

Out of curiosity, have you made any progress toward a degree in order to make yourself more marketable?

Most of these posts refer to how CAL hiring was done in the past. As we are seeing on the line many of the new procedures are a blend of the CAL and UAL cultures. Which begs the question, what were UAL's requirements the last time they were hiring?
Nope....I signed up to get ready to finish with Utah Valley University and my wife, who HAD ulcerative colitis, colon ruptured in two places one fine evening. That was a rush to an NYC hospital for the next 3 months and in and out of the hosipital for the next year....WHICH sunk us with medical debt....college out. At this point Im close to digging out from that storm, but honestly, Im pushing 40 and I have 10,000 hours with something like 7000 jet PIC......Im honestly not that motivated as my record (anyone can call my Chief Pilot on my dime) and experience speaks for itself. Im just not ready to throw myself in debt again after the last fiasco to jump through a hoop that may or may not be necessary. Just my opinion. Id suggest anyone who is able to go and finish their degree. Just dont know if its for me anymore.

ps- this reads pretty pitiful.....lol, that wasnt my intent. Just making conversation.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back