• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

LCAL hiring mins?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
During the last round of hiring, NONE were hired without a college degree. Before the last round of hiring there were plenty of people hired without a college degree. I know because I came VERY highly recommended by MANY people in the right places and I could not get an interview without a degree. Will that apply this time? Time will tell and I hope they will start taking people without the degree. I'd like to make my move.

Could you expand on the time time frame your talking about?

Could you expand on the time time frame your talking about?
From the time they started hiring last time (After the flowback pilots went back from Expressjet, the last of the flow throughs and the preferential Expressjet interviews....05 or 06 I think) til the time they furloughed 150 guys in like 08 or so. My years might be slightly off as they are running together at this point. I am an Expressjet pilot who was hired as a Continental Express pilot. Missed the flow through and preferential interview by months. Then I tried to get a normal interview and had no luck. I know for a fact that it was due to my lack of a degree. It was never listed as an official requirement, only 4 year degree preferred. I am hopeful that it won't be as much of a sticking point next time around. I would assume that at first, it will be but as time goes on and the pool gets smaller, it won't be as much of an issue.

From the time they started hiring last time (After the flowback pilots went back from Expressjet, the last of the flow throughs and the preferential Expressjet interviews....05 or 06 I think) til the time they furloughed 150 guys in like 08 or so. My years might be slightly off as they are running together at this point. I am an Expressjet pilot who was hired as a Continental Express pilot. Missed the flow through and preferential interview by months. Then I tried to get a normal interview and had no luck. I know for a fact that it was due to my lack of a degree. It was never listed as an official requirement, only 4 year degree preferred. I am hopeful that it won't be as much of a sticking point next time around. I would assume that at first, it will be but as time goes on and the pool gets smaller, it won't be as much of an issue.

Looking back don't you think it would have just been a lot easier to have obtained the 4 year degree? We are talking almost 2,000 seniority numbers and probably several hundred more looking forward before you have the chance to interview and all due to the lack of that piece of paper.

Last edited:
I also know attending a quality job fair like women in aviation even if your a guy will give you face to face time with the people who set up interviews. The good thing about one like WIA is they have a ton of airlines flight schools and cargo operators along with every other facet of aviation so instead of a long line to hand off a resume you actually get to talk to the person you are giving it to. Just a thought if you have the time a couple of hours at the job fair can go a long way to moving you up the list of candidates. I went to one in 06 with three other pilots and all four of us (males) were interviewed and hired by the companies we wanted to go to. I dont know if it made a difference I know it didn't hurt. Good luck and if you dont have or cant get a degree for some reason I have no idea how that will play out.

Looking back don't you think it would have just been a lot easier to have obtained the 4 year degree? We are talking almost 2,000 seniority numbers and probably several hundred more looking forward before you have the chance to interview and all due to the lack of that piece of paper.

No degree might not have been the reason they said no.

No degree might not have been the reason they said no.
No degree was definatly the reason they said no. I had friends who were involved in hiring, two of which were my former chief pilots. Looking back? I don't look back, only forward.

No degree was definatly the reason they said no. I had friends who were involved in hiring, two of which were my former chief pilots. Looking back? I don't look back, only forward.

Understand. Good luck. I hope we are hiring by the end of the year and I hope 2013 is a big hiring year after the JCBA and SLI is done. If you believe the numbers, we are going to need a lot of new faces in the next 5 years.

Latest resources

Back