Latest on skywest/Coex

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
To all the Skywest pilots:

If you keep reading these boards, you will get the impression that you will not be welcomed by the XJT pilots. Here at Commutair a lot of us read the same rhetoric about us showing up in CLE - "Those used to be our routes...You're expanding at our expense...you will not be welcomed here...that is our flying...etc". Realize that what you read on the boards represents a VERY small minority. Our experience in CLE over the last few months indicates that XJT pilots really are a pretty good bunch. We have been treated well by them and have had no problems. Mainline guys have been great as well. The problems XJT pilots have is with their management, not with us. Most of them know that. Most of them also realize that the reason they have guys on the street is not because of management, Commutair or Skywest, it is because of their flow-through agreement that they wanted in their contract.

Anyway, do not get too worked up about what a few disgruntled people say. I don't think you will have any problems with starting service in IAH. Also - welcome to the Continental Connection family.

Wow, there definitely are some heated elements here. I hope that the SKYW folk who go to IAH aren't gonna be greeted like mpickle says, that wouldn't speak well for XJet. But whatever...

Couldn't y'all XJet types direct your anger where it belongs, at your management? The flying SKYW will be doing is AT RISK and is flying that y'all don't do anymore. Therefore, to say that you don't have to interview doesn't make sense. To say that it's "your" flying also doesn't make sense, your management gave it up. Being given a preferential interview should be looked on as favorable under this scenario, dontcha think?

Bluto and Bjet- talked with my buddy again yesterday and he said that only 6 or 7 FO's have bid for IAH. With the 45 number having been thrown around here for crews there, I would think that any XJet types who pass the interview will soon be flying outta IAH. Just FYI...

"I had a management type in my jumpseat the other day who strongly hinted that the IAH Emb120 flying is just the beginning. Apparently CAL mainline has hinted to Skywest they aren't very happy with their current arrangement. Since the current contract is up in 2004? Skywest may have the opportunity to grab the entire route structure. Then who's flying will it be??

Enjoy."

interesting....3 members of the board of directors of cal are on the xjet board of directors,,,in addition cal is selling most of the xjet stock to cal stockholders,,,all the cal publications commend xjet on making regional airline of the year....i would not take too much from your management type that was in your jumpseat...in addtion xjet has exclusive rights to jet feed till 2006, not 2004.

after 2006 im sure there will be other jet aircraft in our hubs, but since cal has signed the leases to xjet on 274 145s, with options for 100more, i doubt they are gonna dump xjet completely.

Bluto and Bjet- talked with my buddy again yesterday and he said that only 6 or 7 FO's have bid for IAH. With the 45 number having been thrown around here for crews there, I would think that any XJet types who pass the interview will soon be flying outta IAH. Just FYI...

Trans-

Thanks for the update. If I do end up with you folks, it looks like I may have to commute. IAH would be best bet, but anything works for me. :)

As far as interviewing goes, we can only wait and see. But I'm sure many XJT guys will have the same attitude as mine.............
I'm not pissed off about having to interview. I will do that.

We just want to be back in the skies.........:cool:

mckpickle,

What are your feelings about flying for a non-union airline? You need to talk to some Comair and ASA dudes about sharing hubs. Its not easy at first but deal with it. If you can't stand us there in IAH and you and your buddy's do things to screw with us and compromise my passengers then we will have to meet out back JK :) I am only kidding!!! But really, this indusrty it not the same as it was 2 years ago. You guys thought that this would never happen to you but now that Commutair and now us are starting to move in well its time to grow up and say welcome to IAH. We have done it for Comair and ASA in SLC. How come I remember some of you guys bragging a few months ago and how great it was to be all Jet??? By the way we really are nice guys and gals, we have great looking fa's and we really have pride in our company.

Updated bid numbers

Bluto and Bjet- talked with my buddy again yesterday and he said that only 6 or 7 FO's have bid for IAH.

Just for those keeping count:

The bid closed Sunday night, May 25. The count as of Friday, May 23, from the Skywest EMB Captain upgrade/transfer list, is about 19 who request "ANY" for a domicile and about 16 who want to specifically go to IAH. So that's 35 for the 44 or so Captain slots opening at IAH. That said, there will be a handful of the "ANY" guys who might change their mind if offered IAH and get seat locked for 6 months. And some of the IAH guys are transfers, not true upgrades.

In the end, I would suspect about 30 of the IAH Captain positions to be current Skywest Pilots (mostly FO upgrades from the CRJ). The remainder of the 14-ish Captain and all FO positions will be Skywest poolies and COEX pilots. It's anyone's guess as to who be Captains first ("off the street"), although I woud expect experience in the EMB or significant PIC hours might give one an edge at the remaining 14 or so Captain positions.

So once the EMB positions are filled, then the remainder of the COEX and poolies will be going to the CRJ as FO's. Skywest is still looking to gain 2-3 CRJs per month through Feb 04. Beyond that, it's anyone's guess, but I would suspect Skywest to continue to grow with 70 or 90 seat CRJs, perhaps 737s in some markets.

There are EMB classes in June and July, and more afterwards (dates unknown). The first class in early June will have approx. 10 students in it. The goal is to have approximately 35 crews in place by October. By December, there will be approximately 44 crews there.

Good luck to all. And to all COEX guys coming to Skywest -- keep a chin up and keep a positive attitude. Good luck to those poolies too. It'll be worth the wait!

Fred

I understand that the Xjet guys are bitter that SKywest is flying routes they used to. Used to being the key words. It is what it is...
Some people are and they should be, not because its skywest but as the result of our flying going to another company. You will be angry as well when Comair does additional expansion in the west and Mesa gets more UAL routes. That’s just wave of the future. As far as Skywest doing more flying for CAL in the future, there is a definite possibility. There is also a strong possibility of Coex doing flying for DAL and NWA. Skywest people are not going to get the cold shoulder in IAH and express is not losing all its flying. CAL is very happy with our product and has expanded the contract to 2006 and will renew in the future. This whole pissing contest on the net is nothing new. As far as the interviews go, we will see. I have two friends in the pool that got the job without doing the sim. I'm sure it’s up to Skywest mgt to decide how the interview process will go. We just have to wait and see.

Hey,
Your flying, our flying their flying, some flying, BLA,BLA,BLA.
You really need to get over this feeling of entitlement for your own good. You, me and every other pilot gets paid by the hour. Your company makes money, do you get paid more than your contract allows for? Your company looses money do you get paid leaa than the contract?
The above "FLYING" is owned by the company and it's shareholders, period, dot, end of sentence. I do not care personally where the pax comes from, nor do I care where they go. That is between the company and them.
I can tell you for a fact that if you come to SKYW with a good attitude you will do well. If you come with a bad attitude and slip by the interview/meet greet process, you will still have to do probationary pilot evals and a whole year is a long time to fake a good attitude. I know for a fact that just completing a year is no guarantee of keeping your job, your evals by line CPTS as well as your off prob P.C. then interview with your chief pilot must be successfully completed. We are not afraid of letting people who are not fitting into the "culture" go find a more suitable place of employment after a year.
In summary:
Good attitude-Welcome
Bad attitude-You are wasting your time.
OLA
PBR

Re: Updated bid numbers

Fred_IP said:
The bid closed Sunday night, May 25.

In the end, I would suspect about 30 of the IAH Captain positions to be current Skywest Pilots (mostly FO upgrades from the CRJ). The remainder of the 14-ish Captain and all FO positions will be Skywest poolies and COEX pilots.

There are EMB classes in June and July, and more afterwards (dates unknown). The first class in early June will have approx. 10 students in it. The goal is to have approximately 35 crews in place by October. By December, there will be approximately 44 crews there.

Fred [/B]

Hey Fred- I got an e-mail from my friend at OO; the bid actually closes Tuesday morning, and it is expected that more bids will have come in by then. Definitely not "all FO positions" will be poolies and COEX pilots, as at least 7 have bid IAH already. The next EMB classes are scheduled for July, not June, though your size number is correct. From what I hear, all captain positions will be SKYW types, as the opportunity to upgrade will be too attractive, and the majority of the FOs will be Coex.

As others have said, we'll see...

I got an e-mail from my friend at OO; the bid actually closes Tuesday morning, and it is expected that more bids will have come in by then. Definitely not "all FO positions" will be poolies and COEX pilots, as at least 7 have bid IAH already. The next EMB classes are scheduled for July, not June, though your size number is correct. From what I hear, all captain positions will be SKYW types, as the opportunity to upgrade will be too attractive, and the majority of the FOs will be Coex.

You're right about the bid close. It WAS to end on Sunday, but I think they extended it late last week because of the holiday. It will be announced Thursday at noon -- two days later than was in the original message from Skywest. Also, I did NOT look at the FO bid list -- yes, 5 of them want to go to IAH.

Like I said, about 35 Skywest pilots currently desire and are qualified to upgrade/transfer to IAH. Skywest needs 44 crews in IAH. To fill the 9 or so remaining left seats, Skywest management will probably then evaluate its remaining Skywest pilots. Management will determine on a case by case basis to see who's MOST qualified to waive certain requirements to upgrade into the left seat. For example, if they have an FO who has 2000 total hours with 500 in the EMB, they might waive their 1000-hour "in type" requirement. Then they MIGHT hire Captains "off the street," to fill any open Captain position, if the candidate is exceptionally qualified. But I would think SKW would prefer to make Captains out of their own pilots.

As far as class dates, actually, there is a class scheduled for June 16, then July 2. I would think they need to add several more classes to meet the goal of 35 crews by October.

There's also CRJ classes June 2, June 11, June 19 and July 24, for inquiring minds who want to know.

Fred

Latest resources

Back