• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Latest on AA recalls...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The Nov recall class looks probably like Jan-Feb 01 hires.
About #1050 (out of 2834 total on furlough) will probably be the the junior guy recalled in Nov.

Acceptance rate is about 34% (not including the 180 guys so far that have accepted recall then went on military LOA). As the company gets deeper into the recall list, it's likely that the acceptance rates will decline significantly because a lot of the sharp guys have found better, more stable jobs with good companies, rather than flying for an airline.

My pure guess is that AA won't be hiring until well into '09, and only then if the economy doesn't tank, which I think it will.

Last edited:
The Nov recall class looks probably like Jan-Feb 01 hires.
About #1050 (out of 2834 total on furlough) will probably be the the junior guy recalled in Nov.

Acceptance rate is about 34% (not including the 180 guys so far that have accepted recall then went on military LOA). As the company gets deeper into the recall list, it's likely that the acceptance rates will decline significantly because a lot of the sharp guys have found better, more stable jobs with good companies, rather than flying for an airline.

My pure guess is that AA won't be hiring until well into '09, and only then if the economy doesn't tank, which I think it will.

Agree on most of this.... except that, starting in January, we should be starting into recalling the huge block of TWA pilots (about 1300 or so) and from what I understand many of those will come back. You see, they come back to 17 year pay(1989 hire), all the way down to 8 year pay (2000 hire.)

I do agree that we should start hiring by 2009 if nothing changes.

We do not acrue seniority while on furlough so those of us hired in 2000-2001 and furloughed in 2001 would be coming back at 1st and 2nd year pay.

We do not acrue seniority while on furlough so those of us hired in 2000-2001 and furloughed in 2001 would be coming back at 1st and 2nd year pay.
Keep an eye on this as the new contract negotiations unfold. The possibility exists that longevity (for pay purposes) may be extended to furloughees.

It has happened before....

Keep an eye on this as the new contract negotiations unfold. The possibility exists that longevity (for pay purposes) may be extended to furloughees.

.....the AA pilots that were furloughed in the early 1990's came back to the longevity they left when furloughed. However, the APA negotiated longevity for their time on the street or from their DOH. That was a big jumps for most of them, as back then it was 5 years to hit the A scale.

Let's hope that longevity will be an item on the next contract. I have heard that it most likely won't be a negotiated item util all the recalls have taken place.

A few clarifications....

Agree on most of this.... except that, starting in January, we should be starting into recalling the huge block of TWA pilots (about 1300 or so) and from what I understand many of those will come back. You see, they come back to 17 year pay(1989 hire), all the way down to 8 year pay (2000 hire.) /quote]

....the TWA pilots that are being recalled were all flying Captain at TWA before the merger. Those that come back were hired in 1988 - 1989, thus far. They are at max pay upon return (12 years at AA) for the seat they are recalled to. Example, former 1988 TWA-hire Captain gets recalled to STL MD80 F/O and is paid at the AA 12-year F/O rate.

How many will return is pure speculation. To say almost all will return is only an opinion. If I were to guess, The return rate might be a little higher at first as those that are recalled are at the max 12-year scale and have the most time vested. Plus, they have less time on furlough (although a significant amount of time) compared to the 1996 - 2001 hires at TWA.

After 5 -7 years of furlough, many may stay where they have landed after furlough and take a bypass. It might be smart to see how the next contract turns out. It may be 2010 before anything is signed.

It might be possible that AA will go through the furlough list by the end of 2009 and then have to hire from the street. That being said, that still gives the furloughees 3 years after the most junior guy is offered recall to return.

That smell of jet A must be addictive or something or most of us would not do what we do to fly airplanes. It is hard to replace the feeling of rattling windows, setting off car alarms and making dogs bark.:)

Jeff

If negotiating longevity pay for the furloughees is an item which benefits mostly TWA guys then don't count on the apa to do squat. History has already shown how much concern they have for the TWA guys.

If negotiating longevity pay for the furloughees is an item which benefits mostly TWA guys then don't count on the apa to do squat. History has already shown how much concern they have for the TWA guys.

How would it benefit "mostly TWA guys"...?

As a native AA with 4 years on the street, I would surely benefit as much as any other group.

That's incorrect...

...the TWA pilots that are returning are already at max pay of 12 years. longevity could benefit all returning furloughees. Those that would benefit the most are those that spend the most time on furlough.

AA or TWA it does not matter. It would benefit all the returning pilots to get credit for their time on the street, pay from DOH.

Latest resources

Back