Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

L39 Albatros Crashes and Burns in AK Trailer Park, Pilot Ejected...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Gorilla said:
This brings up a question I've always had... are private high-performance ex-military jets normally maintained with a functional ejection system? The reason this intrigues me is that ejection/egress is a highly specialized and labor-intensive form of maintenance. You are dealing with rockets, parachutes, and explosive belts and seat kickers. Probably requires a dangerous or hazardous materials license just to maintain the spares for the seat in your hangar.

As mentioned by a previous poster, there is one company and several individuals that will perform egress maintenance. The most difficult aspect is obtaining the rocket cartridges. Sourcing can be difficult and the BATF folks get involved with the paperwork. Interestingly enough, once the devices are installed in the seat, the ATF people could care less. They are very concerned about storage before that point.

It amazes me that the folks that purchase these aircraft don't take them seriouslly. Most jet warbirds are maintained without live seats, which simply astounds me. If it can't be deadsticked into a field without killing you, spend the money and have the seats.

R.I.P. for the pilot. Sad stuff.

flyguybri said:

USA is Kerlin's outfit? I thought it sounded familiar.

I met Kerlin and his wife several times very briefly at the World Freefall Convention in UIN and he seemed like a straight shooter and a real nice guy. Although there is the tragedy of the pilot's death, I would like to think that the other operator is just blowing smoke up the media's ass after some some sour grapes with Kirlin.

FN FAL said:
Here's an interesting article of the Ketchikan crash, apparently there was a "circling" manuver being done with 1/2 mile vis and 500 foot ceiling.

The article has some data on the pilot as well as some eyewitness accounts and photos.

I'm not familiar with Alaska flying or ketchikan airport, so I'm just forwarding the article for the thread, not speculating.

Well, the ILS at Ketchikan has a 1000 ft (straight in) DA for a sea level airport. that in itself should tell you something Circiling minimums *start* at 2500 and go up

A Squared said:
Well, the ILS at Ketchikan has a 1000 ft (straight in) DA for a sea level airport. that in itself should tell you something Circiling minimums *start* at 2500 and go up
Oh my...that's one reason why I tend to reserve judgement on AK flying or crashes.

FN FAL said:
Oh my...that's one reason why I tend to reserve judgement on AK flying or crashes.
Sorry if that sounds lame or phoney, but it's true...I know nothing about AK flying other than my perception that it's the opposite of flying in Iowa.

Ill Mitch said:
How about the Air USA site, who is the company that sold the airplanes. Red Air, tho owned by Kirlin, is a different company.

http://www.air-usa.com/

I don't have time to look at the two sites, is there two companies owned by Kirlin? If so, that's probably not unusual in business, especially high-risk aviation based businesses. It could even be because of regulatory or tax reasons.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back