Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

L39 Albatros Crashes and Burns in AK Trailer Park, Pilot Ejected...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A Squared said:
Yeah. Michael Chowdry of Atlas died in an L-39 crash.
Yes, in the Denver area. Also killed was the aviation editor of the Wall Street Journal, IIRC.

It's unfortunate that some people with a lot of money buy these airplanes, which are far, far beyond their skill and experience level.

The "partially deployed parachute" was probably the ejection seat drogue chute that slows the seat for man-seat separation. If the pilot was still strapped in the seat on the ground, the man-seat separator probably either failed or, more likely, he was out of the ejection envelope and the seat didn't have time to function correctly.

Last edited:
Sorry,

Link not working now.

It was a repo flight. The pilot (former TWA) also had a full time job with US Customs. Or whatever it's called now.

Former Marine FA-18 Pilot.

Left behind a wife and two daughters.

Semper Fi

Last edited:
A Squared said:
I think you may be thinking of a different crash. There was some rich guy who was a Northern lights (demo team that used to fly l-39's) wannabe. He had his plane painted to match the Northern lights team planes. He crashed doing inverted manuvers at low altitude with a young female passenger. Seems like that was in Louisianna

He actually owned the Northern Lights, but was not a pilot for them. That's why one of the coolest airshow acts to hit the circuit is no more.

A Squared said:
I think you may be thinking of a different crash. There was some rich guy who was a Northern lights (demo team that used to fly l-39's) wannabe. He had his plane painted to match the Northern lights team planes. He crashed doing inverted manuvers at low altitude with a young female passenger. Seems like that was in Louisianna
Yea, that's the one.

The L39 has following anti-icing capabilities:

On the airframe side: Engine Air Intakes and Windshield
On the engine: Compressor nose and Guide Van Blades of the 1st stage, plus p-1 sensors

THis is the Michael Chowdry crash:

"Aircraft records also indicate that the pilot had 38.6 hours of flight experience in the airplane in approximately 3 years, and 6.6 hours of experience during the last 18 months. The night before the accident, the pilot had returned from a trip around the world in his Boeing Business Jet, with multiple business stops along the way. Analysis of the rear canopy's transparency indicated that it was embrittled."

What is it with these guys who don't stay current.

What other result would someone expect from this kind of attitude toward aviation, no pun intended.

Don't train, don't maintain.

My condolences to the family of the young girl....

http://www.sitnews.us/0106news/012606/012606_crash_ketchikan.html

Here's an interesting article of the Ketchikan crash, apparently there was a "circling" manuver being done with 1/2 mile vis and 500 foot ceiling.

The article has some data on the pilot as well as some eyewitness accounts and photos.

I'm not familiar with Alaska flying or ketchikan airport, so I'm just forwarding the article for the thread, not speculating.

Latest resources

Back