• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

L-1011 Tri-Star

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ah yes the one and only time I got to ride one........Spring break 1998, College soph. 400+ rowdy kids in the Detroit international terminal waiting to go to Cancun. Got on the plane and thought there was going to be a riot when told there would not be any alcohol served on the plane. It was probably for the best though. We did drink all the beer on the bus from the airport to the hotel, made the driver stop get more and then finished it all off too. MMMM Corona Especial, YUM!

enigma's post reminds me of an OLD memory of the 1011. When I was in 6th or 7th grade the L1011's had just been introduced by TWA. At that time, they ran one from IND-SFO. Due to the winds, for about a week, they would take off and make a turn north over my house at about 5 p.m.. That humm was about the coolest thing I'd ever heard. I still snap my head around when I hear that sound--whether it's from a RR 757 or a Cathay 747. It still takes me back.TC

atrdriver said:
Between the 1011 and the 747 you have the two most graceful (in the air) civilian airplanes ever to fly.

I'll second that emotion

I feel very fortunate to have been able to jumpseat on the L1011. It was an experience that really pushed me along in continuing to pursue an airline career. I was competely in awe of the whole flight. I had hoped to get to ATA someday to fly it, but that seems like a wishful dream anymore. But I'll still have that memory from jumpseating MSP-MCO round trip.

I have a friend who is a furloughed ATA F/A, and we sat for around three hours in DC drinking and telling stories. All hers were from international trips on the L1011, and the craziness that would ensue!

I think I was born about 40 years too late. :(

Two good memories of the trip: First, having the Captain, FO, FE, observation FE, and myself in the cockpit; then having two F/As come up front to hang out for a bit, and still being able to stand up. Second, walking with the FO under the airplane, and having him say, "I'll tell you right now you haven't made it in the airlines until you can walk under your plane standing straight up like this."

Screw that 1011! The Langoliers will get you!!!!!!!!!

On a more serious note, are the MD-11 and the L-1011 both wide body aircraft? If so, I presum they are the same class of aircraft from a seating capacity and range perspective?

Last edited:
She was why I got into aviation.......now she's gone. :-(
Same here, bud. Delta used to run a 1011 from BDL to BOS then continue on to BDA. I was about 9 years old when we took a trip on DL62. When we got to BOS my dad and I walked up to the front and the captain showed me the warning buttons to push. Then opened up the emergency hatch for me to climb up there. Looking down, its a long way down, looking back... man that #2 engine is huge. Thats my short story of how it all started. :)

Last edited:
PeteCO

They are both Wide body but the MD-11 has a much greater range and payload. The DC-10-30 has greater range and payload than the L1011. The L1011 was way ahead of its time and I had always hoped to get to fly one. The closet I came was an interview sim check. The airline I was talking to used a Delta L1011 sim. I was coming out of the DC-8 and wow was the sim so I am guessing the airpalne would have hit "way cool" stages. The DC-8 does not have slats, insted it has slots (3 of them) so the ILS GS is flown about 3 degrees nose down and the flare takes you to about 7 degrees nose up. Its a big pic change for a flare. The L1011 had a system that maintained 5 degrees nose up on GS by use of the flight spoilers. The attitude remained the same as the spoilers came up and down to increase sink or decrease sink rate. It was the coolest thing, But it took me a few minutes to adjust my scan of the ADI. I kept wanting to put the horizon 3 degress nose down. I figured it out before the FAF and I got the job. That is as close as I came to the L1011.

The airline I work for has MD-11's that will seat 278 to 400 folks and one very special one that is a very comfortable 138 seats. The MD-11 will hang in the air 16 +/- hours and the cargo version will tote 205,000lbs give or take and will burn less fuel per lb of cargo than a 747. The MD-11 will carry more weight than the DC-10 and burn less fuel doing it. The MD-11 has 62k thust (60k normal ops) and the DC10-30 is 54k and will burn more fuel per hour to boot. The DC-10 and the MD-11 are both great airplanes but the L1011 is still prettier......

PeteCO said:
Screw that 1011! The Langoliers will get you!!!!!!!!!

On a more serious note, are the MD-11 and the L-1011 both wide body aircraft? If so, I presum they are the same class of aircraft from a seating capacity and range perspective?

MD11Drvr said:
PeteCO

They are both Wide body but the MD-11 has a much greater range and payload. The DC-10-30 has greater range and payload than the L1011. The L1011 was way ahead of its time and I had always hoped to get to fly one. The closet I came was an interview sim check. The airline I was talking to used a Delta L1011 sim. I was coming out of the DC-8 and wow was the sim so I am guessing the airpalne would have hit "way cool" stages. The DC-8 does not have slats, insted it has slots (3 of them) so the ILS GS is flown about 3 degrees nose down and the flare takes you to about 7 degrees nose up. Its a big pic change for a flare. The L1011 had a system that maintained 5 degrees nose up on GS by use of the flight spoilers. The attitude remained the same as the spoilers came up and down to increase sink or decrease sink rate. It was the coolest thing, But it took me a few minutes to adjust my scan of the ADI. I kept wanting to put the horizon 3 degress nose down. I figured it out before the FAF and I got the job. That is as close as I came to the L1011.

The airline I work for has MD-11's that will seat 278 to 400 folks and one very special one that is a very comfortable 138 seats. The MD-11 will hang in the air 16 +/- hours and the cargo version will tote 205,000lbs give or take and will burn less fuel per lb of cargo than a 747. The MD-11 will carry more weight than the DC-10 and burn less fuel doing it. The MD-11 has 62k thust (60k normal ops) and the DC10-30 is 54k and will burn more fuel per hour to boot. The DC-10 and the MD-11 are both great airplanes but the L1011 is still prettier......

Thanks! I guess that explains why FedEx has so many MD-11's.

L1011

HAZ-MAT said:
Same here, bud. Delta used to run a 1011 from BDL to BOS then continue on to BDA. I was about 9 years old when we took a trip on DL62. When we got to BOS my dad and I walked up to the front and the captain showed me the warning buttons to push. Then opened up the emergency hatch for me to climb up there. Looking down, its a long way down, looking back... man that #2 engine is huge. Thats my short story of how it all started. :)

I also remember touring the cockpit of an Eastern 1011 on a trip from South America to the US when I was a little kid. Up until that point I had seen a few 707 and Electra cockpits, and to this day I still remember being amazed at the roominess of that 1011 cockpit . . . plenty of space to walk in and sit, and the flight crew put on a great effort to emphasize it . . . wish I could have seen the pit and the lower gallery too though . . . oh well, I guess they'll still be around for a little while longer and I'll be able to take a peek at one again. :D

Latest resources

Back