Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Swass

So long, America.....
I know these birds are getting long in the tooth but I still think they are one of the best looking jets out there, especially from the front.

I would like to hear from some of you that have had the pleasure to fly it. Post your l-1011 stories here.

i agree that they are one of the best looking. i had an instructor who used to fly em for eastern

When I did my walk arounds as a 1011 FE, I was always amazed at how those MCI mechanics managed to get the stucco effect on the belly near the landing gear...

Or, I could never figure out why the floors in the lower galley were so sticky. FA's must have spilled a lot of food down there... ;)

Or, from my check engineer: "If this pack valve doesn't open, just go down behind the elevators, pull up this panel and take your mag-lite and beat on this thingy right here. You should hear it open..."

LA Center: "TWA 840, say speed."
TWA 840: "M.86 but we can pick it up."
LA Center: "TWA 840 can you slow to M.82 for 767 traffic ahead"
TWA 840: "Unable."
LA Center: "American 2, turn right 30 degrees and resume normal speed. TWA 840 resume normal speed."
TWA 840: "Roger... But we can pick it up..." :D

TC

I flew the L1011 for a year, with my last flight about 2 months ago. It was the best airplane I've flown or will ever fly. Flew the 737-8W right before the L1011 and you can have all the glass/FMS stuff. The L1011 was a flying airplane, the 737 you managed. The airplane was engineered by the same guys that helped develop the space capsules (gemini,apollo,etc). The 3 best things I remember about the L10 was the space (it was big and roomy), the MDLC system, and the trim. The trim was so smooth, the best ever. As far as speed it was fast. Cruise was .83 shortbody and .84 longbody. The "Pit" below the flight deck was always a favorite of the smokers and the lower galley on the longbodys was always a fun place to visit with your "friendly" FA . It took me all over the world. The best part was I got to bring many US military men and women home from iraq/afghanistan. The best and most important passengers ever....

Last edited:
And let's not forget about the beautiful smoke belching RB211s. I loved watching passengers in the terminal on a cold winter morning freaking out. "Somebody tell somebody that their engine is on fire!"

And not to mention you could be 5 miles away and hear when the captain introduced the fuel. OK, you couldn't actually hear it, but you felt it in your bones......I'm gonna miss her.

I grew up near DFW and when i turned 16 i used to go over to the AE hanger and watch the ATA and Delta L1011's take off. I was always waiting around for the AA MD11/DC10 which was always nice but the L1011 is a really sweet airplane. Wish i was about 10 years older so i would have had better memorys of it.

bobs98tlr said:
I grew up near DFW and when i turned 16 i used to go over to the AE hanger and watch the ATA and Delta L1011's take off. I was always waiting around for the AA MD11/DC10 which was always nice but the L1011 is a really sweet airplane. Wish i was about 10 years older so i would have had better memorys of it.

The highlight of my yearly school trip to SixFlags Over Texas was sitting by the pool at the Six Flags Inn and listening to the airliners take off. The sound that I'll always remember was the roaring whine an L1011. The rest of em were just making noise, the Lockheed was talking to me.

enigma

PS for those not familiar with DFW geography, Six Flags is directly south of DFW airport in Arlington. The area is far enough away from the airport that most of the modern airliners are high enough to be almost unheard, but in the 70's a tuned in ear could hear em all.

Between the 1011 and the 747 you have the two most graceful (in the air) civilian airplanes ever to fly.

Latest resources

Back