• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Kneeboard anyone?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Kneeboards had their heyday in the early to mid 1970's. I still see them occasionally at Rincon. They're easily identified by their design: typically 4'-5' in length, wide swallowtail with two fins placed further forward than on a traditional "standup" surfboard.

HMR said:
Kneeboards had their heyday in the early to mid 1970's. I still see them occasionally at Rincon. They're easily identified by their design: typically 4'-5' in length, wide swallowtail with two fins placed further forward than on a traditional "standup" surfboard.

When was your company hiring again?

Ive been using one for the past few months. I've never put it on before I got in the 172, but I did get out once with it still on. And it also had all my plates/sectionals/afd on it. It doesnt get in the way when i fly, and it helps me stay a little more organized, so I dont mind the "dork" factor.

Don't ever show up for a 121 sim eval with a kneeboard. I'm not kidding. This has actually happened.

I just memorize everything - with regard to civilian flying anyway, kneeboards are for students.

i used the taller ASA version (fit a sectional without folding it), but never strapped it on, just as an organizer. it would fold and velcro open so that i had a clipboard for a pad of paper and then a place to throw flight plan forms and charts

I haven't used it in a while, but I use an old school brown one just like your gym teacher had, I turn it sideways with the big clip on the left for the plate, the I put a little clip on the top of the other half to keep some scratch paper handy, it works pretty good and when you don't need it you can easily set it on the floor because it isn't tied on.

100LL... Again! said:
Don't ever show up for a 121 sim eval with a kneeboard. I'm not kidding. This has actually happened.

I just memorize everything - with regard to civilian flying anyway, kneeboards are for students.
BS. Many people have done this, and many have gotten hired. Fly the sim they way you're used to flying, if that means using a kneeboard, then use a kneeboard.

Part of why I dislike the pilot community (individuals are usually great) is because they rip on people for stupid things like kneeboards. Some people like kneeboards, some don't. There is NOTHING wrong with it either way whether a student pilot in a 152 or an airline captain in a 747. Get over it.

I've been converted.

I used to use a kneeboard and still say if you need it, use it. Now I've gotten to the point where I have a system. Before I go, I put a post it note at my Departure airport, Departure alternate, destination and alternate airports in the binder all labled accordingly. Then the Binders get stacked and placed on the floor between me and my cap-e-tin (student) in the left seat (right by the fuel selector). I carry a small yellow notepad which I write down clearances and ATISs in a shorthand which unfortunately only I could understand. The checklist either goes wedged between the windshield (not screen) and the "dashboard" or in the side pocket. Wherever it goes, the notepad goes the opposite usually. Sometimes I'll put the notepad pen and pencil in the "glovebox" up front. Enroute chart and/or sectional in the yoke clip and my navlog (which I print out from Flitestar along with NOTAMS, etc) goes in a little bitty black binder in the side pocket.

When I get to my destination, I flip to my "marked" airport and find the right approach, brief it and go at it.

Can't say I've used a kneeboard since.....a while. Clipboard yes (the small one that came with the kneeboard). Kneeboard no...and I have been teaching students to not use them...clipboard is all ya really need at the most.

Sorry it got long winded...but an interesting discussion....more beer please!

-mini

Thanks for the great responses everyone. I'm really just trying to start good habits early on in my flight training. My instructor doesnt really seem to be that "hip" with Cockpit Resource Managment either. I wish I could conduct my training as a pilot of a regional/major/freight airline would. Seems like it would be much safer and just good habit. If anyone has any tips on cockpit organization from the commercial world I am all ears.

Travis

Latest resources

Back